Pad Automation Filter "Key"

edited March 2012 in Support
OK this may be an silly question, but with a drum pad and track automation, i can automate the cutoff filter. There are 3 parameters, 'cutoff', 'resonance', and 'key'. Cutoff and resonance i know, and can see the knobs automate when i go back to the pad view. But what exactly is 'key' automating? It affects the sound, but i don't know what knob is being turned. Any clues? I know the answer will be obvious, but at this point just have to ask...

Comments

• edited 9:20AM
    From the manual, page 25: "Filter Key controls the amount of modification depending of the notes played." It is a knob that exists for the Keyboard instrument, but not the Pad instrument, although it can be controlled with track automation for both. So, why no knob for the pads? And can anyone give a more specific explanation for what this is controlling?
  • edited 9:20AM
    Hello zetagy,

As you've read in the manual, the key parameter will affect the cutoff frequency regarding the played key. This is useful for the keyboard sampler, as the cutoff frequency will follow the playing notes, but, for the drum sampler it is quite useless as one sample is only mapped on one note and will not reflect the true cutoff frequency. You can still use it, but if you've mapped samples on the 'A' bank in the drum sampler, it starts at C-2, which is very low, meaning the cutoff frequency will be too low.

In a nutshell, the key frequency amount is more of a keyboard sampler feature.

Hope it helps !
    Mathieu.