Why should I choose Beatmaker?

edited August 2012 in General
Hi,

I've only had an iPad for a couple of months and have been enjoying various music apps, but I'm now ready to take it to another level.

I want to start sequencing and building larger arrangements, and have been tossing up between NanoStudio and Beatmaker 2.

I know the apps are cheap, especially compared to desktop apps, but money is really tight for me at the moment so I only want to buy one. I also want to dedicate my time to learning how to best use one sequencing app rather than going backwards and forwards between two.

So, NanoStudio has just gone on sale for $8.49. Interested in why you we recommend I spend $20 on Beatmaker 2 instead?

Thanks in advance ...

Stew

Comments

• edited 2:06PM
    Thanks for the tip- I wanted to have nano studio for my synthstation anyway..
    Got it for $7.99!

Oh- back to your question- you don't really say what you are looking for or need, so it's a little hard to recommend anything for you. If you are sampling and/or have external synths and controllers, than BM2 is king. BM2 doesn't have a synthesizer per say, but it appears nano studio is all about the synth... Which is cool...
    Any thoughts Micgee$??
    NanoStudio is a great app in its own right, but, with the exception of NS having a real synth compared to BM2's sample synth, BM2 is a much deeper app with more control over samples and how they're used. It's very flexible.

I tried using NS first but I got too frustrated with the lack of certain options that ended up all being available in BM2. I've been using it ever since.
    Kadath-
    Exactly- I just got ns for the synth (and so I could use this damned synthstation 25 for something other than a doorstop)

Amazing the possibilities that fit in the palm of our hands these days!
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'd be happy getting all my sounds from other apps, drums from Molten & iElectribe and synth stuff from Animoog, Sunrizer and now Magellan (check it out if you haven't already). My plan is to copy drum loops into a pad sampler type device, sequence them up and then run that in the background while I play synth stuff over the top ... record that and copy to my sequencer app, sequence and continue ....

From what I've read either NanoStudio or Beatmaker 2 would let me do this ... right?

Just wondering if there are people who are using both that could comment on what the advantages of Beatmaker 2 are, cause as I said I'm pretty restricted with what I can spend at the moment. But I'd rather spend $20 on Beatmaker 2 than spend half as much on NanoStudio and then find it doesn't really work for me and I have to buy Beatmaker 2 anyway.

Should mention that I run Ableton Live too so I'm thinking Beatmaker 2 is more like the 'Live' philosophy than NanoStudio ... ?

Any comments greatly appreciated.
    NanoStudio currently doesn't run in the background while you play another app. BM2 does, though. So, if that's a must-have feature for you, go with BM2.

Like I said, BM2 is just much more flexible than NS. It's easily worth more than the $20 you'll pay for it.

If you're familiar with Live, you'll get right into BM2 pretty quickly. BM2's manual is really detailed, too.
    Seriously...Get Beatmaker2 it's awesome.
    I have heaps and heaps of apps,but keep coming back to Beatmaker2. I did a song (21st Century) this weekend with only 2 x 2 bar vocal loops brought from outside of BM2 then chopped, the rest is ALL completely BM2....All done and uploaded to Soundcloud within 24 hours.Learn the art of layering and tweaking the FX and you'll see.And I'm only scratching the surface so far.
    Sure somethings don't work out this fast but thats music.
    Intua has got me having fun with music again.

Thank you Intua...I love Beatmaker2
    NanoStudio currently doesn't run in the background while you play another app. BM2 does, though. So, if that's a must-have feature for you, go with BM2.
    Intua has got me having fun with music again.

These two comments might just be enough for me to take the plunge. Thanks!

Stew