Mono or Stereo sampling and why?

edited August 2012 in General
I've been noticing a lot of post about sampling in "mono only" or this allows peripheral lets you sample in stereo.
Whats the advantages and disadvantages of having stereo vs mono samples?

Comments

• edited 8:57AM
    Stereo samples make your mix sound fuller. If you're stuck with mono samples, adding a little reverb to them can make them sound a little more natural.

There's also stero spatialization you can apply to mono samples with an app like Hokusai, but using too much can make some samples sound weird, especially percussive sounds.

Sometimes a stereo sample will end up having a slightly different sonic quality when you downmix it to mono, so it's worth experimenting with.

One trick I've used in BM2 with mono samples is to load a sample on 2 different drum pads, pan one to the left and the other to the right, and trigger one slightly later than the other. This works best with a high quantization resolution, like 1/64.
    Kadath is right-
    If there is spacial information in the sample, then sample in stereo.
    Most often if it is a kick or bass thump you'd do better to sample in mono. Keep the low freq's in the center position and it will bang
    Thanks. I'm trying to figure the best way to get a stereo sample in to BM with just the iPod touch.