Good job Intua - I'm switching from Nano Studio

edited September 2012 in General
Just picked up 2.3 after after a long hiatus from BM1. I was fed up with NS' lack of midi control support. Almost everything in BM2 is controllable via midi! Woohoo! (on that note, Intua could you expand the options in the delay module to include mappable destinations for the beat sync buttons? You can get really creative modulating them.) The audio tracks are killer as well. Way to go Inuta for setting a new bar! Having been a very loyal fan of NS, this should speak volumes of what you've achieved here. I was very glad to see that my recently purchased Quneo 3d controller comes with a BM2 template. I should be posting some vids soon of it in use with your awesome app.

Now that I've buttered you up, I would like to request a feature - a performance based pattern sequencer. Perhaps this could work by having loop marker presets which are tied to a pattern switcher. The patterns would switch in quantized or legato fashion.

Actually, I figured out that if you tap inside the timeline, the play marker keeps it's place in relative time, lending itself to performing live in some ways. Intua, can you speak more to this? I already really appreciate this playback behavior.

Many thanks!
-Mark

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bloomingtonelectronic.com">http://www.bloomingtonelectronic.com</a><!-- m -->

Comments

• edited 5:34AM
    Switching...why not use both?
    Eden is hella good
    No midi control over FX in Nano is the main reason. This is extremely important to me for live performance. Also, I have a big sample library and don't want have to duplicate it so I can use it in two programs. Lastly, I'd rather specialize in one program rather than be decent in two.
    Yeah, I switched from NS to BM2 as well. While NS has an actual synth, it's missing a lot of crucial sample manipulation options that exist in BM2. When I finally got tired of not having something as simple as loop points, I switched to BM2 and haven't looked back.

BM2 is also nicer to look at, IMHO.
    The sampler in nano is more underwhelming than the one in BM2
    The sample library issue is an ios apple issue...as for some reason they dont want to add a my documents on iphone and ipad? Why, who knows?
    I would however like to add with the powersamplers of today and some of yesterday, bm2 is also a weakling sampler...

Emu Ultra is 20 yrs old and eats it alive
    Roland vsynth gt...lets not even go here...there is absolutely no comparison
    (i would like to note both of these are programmed on obsolete chips with obsolete os)

Kontakt
    Absynth
    Iris
    Alchemy
    Exs 24mkii

Samplewiz, yes samplewiz has a better engine than bm2 ...and something else is coming from jordan rudess soon.

Those are the absolute monster samplers! In which
    I never use such deep samplers. Most people who are used to the MPC workflow dont care about deep samplers like those. BM2's sampler seems almost perfect for what I want to do with it. If we could have midi control over each layer's volume and filter cutoff, I would be in heaven.

Another NS deal breaker - The TRG16 doesnt even come close to the power of BM2's drum sampler. The TRG has 1 bank, no live modes, hardly any options. BM2's has 8 banks, chopping, quantized looping.

And to be honest, I usually prefer to work with synths (and Eden is very good) but I'm happy to trade that off for a multi-layer keyboard sampler, tons of midi control and lots of instances for XY pad control in the app throughout, not just in the synth.

Dont get me wrong, I love the dev for NS, but he himself has admitted that he doesnt have any intention to move NS forward much more in terms of feature development. I applaud him for wanting to keep a stable app for legacy device owners, but I was hopeful for more midi control. I dont get the feeling there is any motivation to honor the feature requests from NS customers anymore and that doesnt get me excited at all.

Keep up the good work Intua. I hope you'll continue to do so.
    Welcome to BM2!