What level do you usually set the master channel in bm2?

edited October 2012 in Support
I usually set it to -1.0 but is that too high?

Comments

• edited 4:26AM
    I don't touch the master fader. I pull down individual channels when mixing to make sure there's no clipping.
    I don't touch the master fader. I pull down individual channels when mixing to make sure there's no clipping.

+1
    Long story short, the fader is another digital process. Gain is destructive in the digital domain, so messing with the master fader (unless you plan to automate a fade out from BM2) is not a good idea, as you've already got slight distortion (unavoidable) on each track, and would be creating slight distortion on every channel all at once.

That being said, BM2 is pretty forgiving in the red... It clips easily, but you can push it pretty hard before there are any obvious distortions....
    Okay thanks a lot for both of your answers. I always wondered why my beats are always in the red and thought changing the master fader would fix that. But I guess my only option is to mess around with the volume on everything else including individual drums in the drum machine and the different keys I have assigned to different channels and that's is my only option. Them just adding effects to the master channel for mastering. Thanks a lot.

Which leads to another question. I was also wondering should every thing I have assigned to a different channel be mastered individually like the different drum machines, keyboards, and etc.
    NO

Do a quick search on mastering and you'll find its way more involved than that, (when done right!)

If by "mastering each track" you mean blasting every track with compression, don't do that automatically either.
    NO

Do a quick search on mastering and you'll find its way more involved than that, (when done right!)

If by "mastering each track" you mean blasting every track with compression, don't do that automatically either.
    Damn I didn't mean master I meant EQ. Sorry about that. I know people use Compression on the master channel for loudness. But people I know tend to EQ every thing when it comes to the pc DAWs like the drums, keys and everything so that's what I meant.
    Mastering in BM2 isn't even really possible. If it had a limiter it would at least be easier to max your volume without clipping. The parametric EQ in the next version could be used for simple mastering.

Mastering with Auria or Windows/Mac software is really the only option right now.
    Mastering in BM2 isn't even really possible. If it had a limiter it would at least be easier to max your volume without clipping. The parametric EQ in the next version could be used for simple mastering.

Mastering with Auria or Windows/Mac software is really the only option right now.
    Alright man thanks for recomending Auria maybe I'll have to mess around with auria in the near future. But what do you guys think in EQing every instrument in the song.
    I think you may be confused about what mastering is... Look it up
    EQ, whether subtle or drastic if need be, is pretty common in beatmaking.
    I think you may be confused about what mastering is... Look it up
    EQ, whether subtle or drastic if need be, is pretty common in beatmaking.
    No I know what mastering is and I know EQ is a part of mixing and adding effects so to speak. Mastering falls under adding the finishing touches, removing unnecessary sounds, getting out clipping, compressing master Channel and etc. But I really am asking is if it is best to EQ every instrument or just the master channel alone. Cause I know people who do both? Or is it alone according to personal taste and the tracking in question?
    Then I imagine its something you have to research for yourself in this case...
    Then I imagine its something you have to research for yourself in this case...
    Alright thanks a lot man,
    I EQ most of my instruments and even that master track sometimes, just use your ear.