6-band parametric equalizer

edited November 2012 in Support
Can someone tell me the best way to use the new 6-band parametric equalizer?

thank you

Comments

• edited 4:08PM
    Are you familiar with parametric EQs? If not, there are quite a few videos on YouTube that explain how they work, such as this one: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aXmGZ_CF5yQ">http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=aXmGZ_CF5yQ</a><!-- m -->

You'll notice most parametric EQs have a graphical representation of the frequencies and how you're boosting or cutting them while you use the EQ, but BM2's parametric EQ lacks this, so it may be a little more difficult for people new to parametric EQs to grasp and use effectively.

Like any EQ, a parametric EQ is used to affect a sound by cutting or boosting certain frequencies in the sound. They can be used to beef up a sound by boosting the low end, or make a sound more bright and snappy by boosting the high end. You can do the opposite by cutting those same frequencies, of course.

It's a powerful tool. Experiment with it.
    My very first impression was also "why didn't they make this a graphical EQ UI?"
    But then I started using it and it forces you to use the old ears...
    Although I am hearing a bit of resonance in, it is miles ahead of the old EQ (which I think still has its place and am glad they didn't yank it
    agree glad they keep the old EQ. yea i'm not familiar with parametric EQs. thanks for that link but it was dead? but i found this one <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" m --> (this guy also has other good tutorial)

A question, so it's 6 bands? How would i use each band? Or do i need to use all six? Applied to just one instruments? or the master track? Sorry for my lack no how on this.

So if i have a drum machine instrument and i want to put a different parametric EQ on each pad do i have to make a new FX bus for each pad? (each pad being a different kicks)

thank you!
    You don't have to use all bands. You can use as many or as few as you need to when editing your sound. You can apply it to a single pad, or an entire track, or even the master. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. It can be used for anything, from just making your snare a little snappier, to fine tuning the sound of the entire song if you apply it to the master output.

If you want to make edits to multiple pads, you will have to use a separate instance of EQ6 on each pad via its own FX bus. This would probably get CPU intensive, though, so resampling your pads after achieving the sound you want with the EQ would be a good idea.

Here's the link I posted before: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" m -->
    Graphic would be better imho

Okay now i must ask, how are you resampling?
    I need to know how to resample on beatmaker other than bouncing back to files and then reloading this on a new pad? Which is a long workflow
    Kadath! thank you thank you! that clarifies a lot!

Ok one thing.

' so resampling your pads after achieving the sound you want with the EQ would be a good idea.'

Can you step by step this for use?
    BeatMaker 2 needs a resampling option ASAP. How is it that it doesn't have such a basic feature? You can't even make stereo samples mono. I love BeatMaker 2, but it's just missing so much basic and common workflow "enhancements" that have been present on samplers since the 80s. Now staying on topic, the new EQ is awesome! It doesn't have a visual representation like Pro-Q, but I don't mind doing it the old fashioned way. By ear.