Should I switch to Ims-20 for dubstep?

edited November 2012 in General
I love BM2 but I'm having a hard time producing dubstep. I have ims-20 but don't really know how to use it. Would it be worth the learning curve to use a different app? I realllly dont want to but I wanna get started on this project. Any advice?

Comments

• edited 10:10AM
    BM2 is entirely capable of producing dubstep, as long as you have a good synth app to sample from. I recommend Animoog and/or Magellan.

Check out this video of this guy creating a typical brostep drop:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" m -->

Wubwubwub.
    Thank you so much for the speedy reply. I will purchase both. How do I get these sounds onto BM2? I haven't done anything like that yet. I'm sure there is a thread already about this matter. Is it pretty easy todo?
    I have about 4 synths I can use now with BM 2 as background audio and using empty preset on keys in BM 2. Only one at a time, but then there are the YouTube vids on how to make some good bitcrushed bass for dubstep. I also have about 14GB of dubstep samples to use in it with my padKontrol. That's all I make on it - dubstep. I have the iMS 20 and don't use it at all for dubstep.

I have some wicked samples and construction kits.
    How do I get my hands on some of those samples and kits? Also,I still don't understand how to get the synths from Animoog to BM2. Also was wondering if I should download Auria to use with Intua. Would it be worth the money?
    There is a sticky in this forum on how to use an empty keys preset with background audio from your IOS synth .

As far as the samples, I started sampling in the 90's on an SU700 sampler and used to buy sample cd's at $100 apiece, then switched to scouring the Internet for samples, then when I got interested in dubstep, I found websites like producerloops, loopmasters, etc that had downloadable content for relatively inexpensive costs. The same sample cd's I use to buy at $100 are now going for less than $40 for massive content. Some really great stuff available and top producers using some of these as I've recognized some samples in their music.

I make my own construction kits up or use what they have put together and map it out on the drum machine to trigger with my padKontrol or just ipad or both. I'm doing this real time without even sequencing patterns, just the live play, but going to start exploring using a little of both sequencing and live playing to turn out my songs. Beatmaker 2 was made for putting out dubstep.

I can't justify using Auria or any other app yet because I haven't even skimmed the surface on BM 2's abilities for what I need and I'm having loads of fun with it. I just recently exported a few projects with samples out of Nanostudio so I could unload the 10GB of samples I had in Nanostudio and free up space to put more in BM 2. I'm not using Nanostudio anymore for anything. Just BM 2. It's the triggering options and fx on the drum pads plus being able to use my favorite synths now that I learned how that drove me away from all the other apps.

Only beatmaker 2's drum pads allow for 8 banks with loop, hold, one shot options and the loop timing customizable, plus that output to all the fx I really need like delay, EQ, bitcrusher, overdrive, etc.
    Oh yeah, Producerloops even has Beatmaker 2 kits available on some sample content. You can browse by format and Beatmaker 2 is one of the formats you can pick. Not a whole lot yet, but I expect that to change the more BM 2 gets used. It is a powerful sample player/editor, etc.
    if you're still learning synthesis but want to use some a synth app, check out Sunsine Audio: http://www.sunsineaudio.com/

they sell packs of iOS synthesizer app presets that you can just import into the app and use/experiment with right off the bat...