ANY MIDI EXPERTS?

edited November 2012 in Support
Hi. As a lifelong MPC user, I'm loving BM2. It has made a many improvements over the past year. I've been using the virtual midi to control synth sounds coming from other apps (sunrizer etc.) and putting them into my BM2 sequences (let's be honest, it's necessary because the synth sounds in BM2 still need a lot of work). After I record a part I want to keep, I create a whole new instrument and track in BM2 because I want to add to my work. For this new track, I also want to use virtual midi. The problem is, when I switch to a new sound in sunrizer, the midi track that I already recorded in BM2 switches to this new sound as well. Meaning if you pick one sound, every track has to be this same sound. Is it really not possible to have more than one virtual midi sound going at the same time? If so, that would be extremely lame. If not, please excuse my ignorance and help me!

On the same topic, why can't I use effects in BM2 on virtual synth tracks from other apps? Reverb etc. simply doesn't work, even if I want to add some to a part that's already recorded. I was hoping that would be fixed for 2.4. Maybe 2.5? That would be huge.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• edited 12:00PM
    It's background audio with background midi sending note on , note off messages. Until we get audiobus where you can route audio into BM 2 from another synth app, you have record the audio in the synth app and copy and paste it into a track or pad in BM 2. You can setup send for external knobs on a controller to tweak your background synth effects, but the synth's effects are what is used until you import the soundclip into BM 2 and use fx in BM 2 on the audio. This is how compartmentalized apps work right now with audio. Don't worry, the audiobus ability will be on its way soon and just takes developers the time to adapt their apps to use it, then we will have some nice audio routing options for background apps.

For now, you can do like I do, just record the midi data in BM 2 on a track and set BM 2 in the background with midi data looped, then have your synth app in the foreground and get the sound you want, twiddle knobs, etc while you record the audio portion in the synth app, then copy and paste into BM 2 as audio. lather, rinse, repeat for multiple tracks. BM 2 has a global midi setting area and a per instrument midi area and you can setup the controllers to send on certain channels or be controlled by external controllers.

iOS apps are definitely improving in getting a workflow that has virtual busses in the background, but still much work to do. I can't wait until we have more developments!

iOS device music making and BM 2 has me pretty excited about making music again because I can take my studio with me anywhere.
  • edited 12:00PM
    Thank you for an insightful and comprehensive answer!