Using Beatmaker 2 Live

edited January 2013 in Support
It would be great to hear some feedback from those that use BM2 in a live setting.
Stability, ease of navigation etc.

Comments

• edited 3:45AM
    I sometimes have latency issues on an iPad 2. So, I can trigger a sample on a pad and will sometimes be off by 200-300 msecs. Enough to kill the groove with the rest of the band. It seems to help to go into Airplane Mode and kill off most other apps.

The other thing I could really use is MIDI on a pad rather than just on tracks. I use an iODock and don't always have sufficient FOH board inputs for the iPad as well as keyboard. I would like to use MIDI to my keyboard and trigger a chord or sequence. I can use Genome for that, but find the large pads on Beatmaker much easier to use.

I've been pondering whether to write a simple app with large pads that records and plays back MIDI on the pads for strictly performance use.
    Have you checked out beatsurfing? It may still be 99 cents.
    Also, have you noticed what your audio CPU usage is when the issue occurs?
    Thanks for your reply!
    Back up to $11.99. Does it record MIDI from external source? I did not see that. Otherwise, for triggering would be interesting.

Sorry, did not look at the CPU use. I'll try that out later and see if I can duplicate the issue.
    BTW, my current workflow to do this still uses Beatmaker (though not live). I use a Nord Stage as my main keyboard. Incredible board, but does not have any sequencing except on an instrument you create in a Mac/PC app called the Nord Sound Manager.

1. Record sequence, chord, whatever from the Nord to Beatmaker as audio
    2. Chop it up into WAV files as desired
    3. Export WAV files to Dropbox
    4. Import on Mac
    5. Use Nord Sound Manager to create an instrument with each of the WAV files on a different key
    6. Dump to the Nord and use the sample on a split

Clunky? Probably. I know I could use Reaper or some other Mac DAW, but prefer using the iPad next to my keyboard rather than a computer for the sampling process.