Massive audio sync problems...

edited April 2013 in Support
Just put the new BM2 on and have instantly run into sync issues.

I use AmpKit, Audiobus and BM2 together, I have a track I've been working on that has drum track plus 2 guitar lines recorded from AmpKit and another bass line direct in. Tonight I started to record a lead line on a new track and noticed that even though I finished at the correct time, when I played it back, it appeared I'd ended about a bar early. Strange. So I repeated and same thing happened.

I've done this multiple times now. Seem the audio I'm recording is not being placed at the correct time. I've tried shifting it about by selecting and using the slider to move it, but its not fine enough granularity to correct the error.

This has only happened as of this update. So now BM2 appears to be effectively broken for me. Anyone else seen it? Gonna have to restore back to the previous version I guess...

Comments

• Does nobody really read these forums or am I unique in my problems?

Curiously I hadn't used Beatmaker for a couple of months and just fired it up for the first time today. Did my usual AudioBus start up, AmpKit for input, Beatmaker for output, started Beatmaker first, then jumped to AmpKit and set up an acoustic guitar sound.

Switch back to Beatmaker, set a tempo and recorded a guitar line. Good, that worked. Created a new track, went back to AmpKit and adjusted the guitar effects then back into Beatmaker and recorded the 2nd guitar line... Went to listen to it, and ... Guess its Ground Hog day all over again. The 2nd guitar line is approx. 3 beats EARLY!

I say approx, because I can't simply move the sample a number of beats to fix it. It's stuffed. Again.

I've managed to record one song with multiple guitar and drum tracks once. Since then I've been plagued by this issue.

Can nobody help me?
  • I've had various issues with Audio bus, its a bit hit and miss with various combinations and rock solid with others. Normally I put the device on airplane mode and make sure all the resources are freed up. Depending on what device you've got it will have more or less resources which may be the issue. A work around I use is to record he parts into audioshare then import into BM2 as a sample.
  • Mmm depressing. So as I have loads of resources, and the recordings are of good quality without any glitching, I don't think that's the issue.

What you are saying is I should use something else to record the audio rather than the audio recording App I paid for? Seriously?

Very disappointed at BM2. Such great potential. When it worked, before the April update, it was great.
  • @Jose. When you do it that way, how do you get the loops you create to match up with your project tempo?

Or do you determine project tempo ahead of time, so that the loop you are trying to bring into BM2 via audioshare already matches up?

Im still wondering if I should buy audioshare?
  • @Jemster what is the buffer size your using as high latency might affect the recording but bar seems too much. probably need to check that on all apps your using. For corrections of the timing have you tried setting the timing grid to the highest setting it will go i.e. 1/96, I think the default is 1/16 or 1/8.

@dee
    Audioshare is great, swiss army knife of IOS music apps. I normally put audioshare as the output on Audiobus. Normally the tempo is set and I've laid down drums and some other parts in BM2. I then play along on whatever app im using with BM2 playing in the background record the track into Audioshare, trim it (you can set bpm in Audioshare to get the right length) and then send it to BM2 via general pasteboard. You can time stretch it in BM2 if its not bang on.
  • Hi Jose, the buffer size is 256 at the moment.

I honestly don't believe it's latency in the way that we know latency. We are talking about the entire recorded passage being placed, perhaps a couple of seconds out of its recorded time. I really don't get it. It's not just a few milliseconds, or even a couple of hundred milliseconds out. This is just plain wrong.

I'll take a look at your grid suggestion though as it may help me move the mess into the right place. Not ideal, but may help until I get a fix of some kind.

I opened a ticket on it 4 days ago. Guess what. Not even been assigned to a representative for a response.

Current opinion of Intua is verrrrry low. Serious issue and no support. I could possibly upload some kinda sample project somehow somewhere to illustrate but all its going to show you is 2 out of sync audio recordings :)
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Jemster,

Sorry for replying a bit late !

I just carried some tests with Ampkit and BeatMaker 2.4.8 and I can't reproduce the issue you are having.

One thing comes in mind: did you consider the one bar pre-roll when you start an audio recording in BeatMaker 2 ? By default this is enabled so nothing is recorded for 1 bar. If you want to disable it, just open the "REC." menu in the transport bar, you will find there the pre-roll length and a toggle button.

Also, please ensure you launch apps in the right order:
    1. Audiobus
    2. Ampkit
    3. BeatMaker 2

You can also change the start/end bounds of your fresh recordings by selecting the audio pattern on the sequencer, press the pen tool and set the bounds in the wave editor.

If you still have problems with Audiobus recordings, please let me know.

Hope this helps,
    Mathieu.
  • Hi Mathieu,

I don't think it would be the pre-roll, actually, the part I was working on had a clean guitar track, maybe 50 seconds long. I then created the 2nd track and armed it for recording and started recording probably at around the 20-second mark. When I went back to play what I'd recorded, the 2nd part came in at totally the wrong time. Could the pre-roll be "pushing" the recording out? Wouldn't it just result in silence for a bar? Does it have any effect if I am not starting recording at the beginning of the piece?

Interestingly, my App launch order I think was 1, 3, 2. I will retry making sure that I start them in the order you list.

I won't get near it tonight, but I will give your suggestions a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Thanks very much for your help.
  • So I recorded some more tonight, making sure I started in that sequence, and 4 tracks recorded fine. I'm gonna keep the fingers crossed that it was to do with application startup order and it won't jump up and bite me again. I'll post back if it returns!

Thanks for your help once again!