Rendering audio from drum pads to separate audio tracks

edited December 2013 in Support
I'm trying to output audio from drum pads within a single drum sampler into separate audio tracks. Obviously I can mute/solo pads and export tracks one at a time. But I'd like to render the audio from drum pads into separate audio tracks in one step. I created FX busses and routed pads to them. But when I exported the audio, separate audio tracks were not created for the FX busses.

Any other ways this might be accomplished.

Excellent app by the way!

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I know many different ways to export audio from a track. What I'd like to do is render audio from drum pads on a single drum sampler to separate audio tracks. With Ableton Live drum racks you have full control over which track or bus audio from individual drum pads are routed to. I'm looking for similar functionality in BM2. I thought that routing audio from pads to FX busses, then exporting audio would do it, but audio from FX busses isn't rendered on export. My guess is that BM2 simply can't do this, but I'm just checking before I figure out a workaround.
  • @ecamburn - were you able to find s solution to this? I'm in the same boat wanting to export my 2 kicks, snares, hi-hat and sample into separate tracks and transfer to auria for final mixdown.

Right now when i export, it comes out altogether in one track
  • Dayum, tell me there's an easier way please. First I make a simple beat on one track that has maybe two kicks, snare, hi hat and a sample. But in order to export to separate tracks, I have to create 4 new tracks, copy and paste the first track and then manually delete all the midi notes for everything else except for the main element. Example: for the snare track, I'll go in and delete the two kicks, hihat and sample. For the hihat track, I have to go in and manually delete the snare, two kicks and sample and so forth.

Anybody have any solutions/easier workarounds? Do I just have to get used to creating new tracks when composing beats?

Thanks in advance!
  • I'm begging, anybody else do this? It's taken me 30 min just to transfer one simple beat, exported to separate tracks, into Auria. I have absolutely no more energy and mood to actually create after this process.
  • It's not ideal, but it's not really that hard?!?
    Copy paste the sequence to as many new tracks (press plus tab for the same drum machine) as you need, go into each copy, select the notes on the left (on piano roll which selects all same notes in sequence) and delete what you don't want.
    Until BM2 gets a split by note function, that's how it is. No reason it should take that long though.
  • Yes really not hard if you make a individual track for each sound ie. track for kicks, track for snare etc.....Should only take 5-10min to export and load into auria
  • thanks for replies guys! much appreciated.

@dubhaus - responded to you on auria forums as well but agreed, should take only 5-10 min but at 2 in the morning working on an iphone, brain isnt as efficient.

@thesavage - oldman on the audiobus forum gave this solution. Is this what you're recommending?
    Hi. You can export separate bm2 drum tracks like you want to without all that hassle. All you gotta do is when your creating a drum track you select the drum machine. Switch to sequencer view and in the top left-ish corner there is a + sign. Press this button and you will have a choice of adding a new track for any instruments that have already been chosen. So..... If you select the drum machine it will add a new track under that which will route to the drum machine and it will have all the pad names down the side in the piano roll. You can do as many of these as you like I think. At least 16 anyway for all the pads. Now all you gotta do is say put your kicks in one track, snare in another, hats in another. When you export you will get separate tracks. Hope this helps
  • @thesavage - is there a way to setup the tracks upfront so that only kicks are routed to say track 1, snares to track 2, etc? I really dont want to have to leave drum pad section when i'm jamming out a beat as it removes me from my flow. thnx in advance!
  • edited December 2013
    "@thesavage - oldman on the audiobus forum gave this solution. Is this what you're recommending?
    Hi. You can export separate bm2 drum tracks like you want to without all that hassle. All you gotta do is when your creating a drum track you select the drum machine. Switch to sequencer view and in the top left-ish corner there is a + sign. Press this button and you will have a choice of adding a new track for any instruments that have already been chosen. So..... If you select the drum machine it will add a new track under that which will route to the drum machine and it will have all the pad names down the side in the piano roll. You can do as many of these as you like I think. At least 16 anyway for all the pads. Now all you gotta do is say put your kicks in one track, snare in another, hats in another. When you export you will get separate tracks. Hope this helps"

Yes! :) a new track for each sound. if you want to export/track out a individual sound.
  • edited December 2013
    "is there a way to setup the tracks upfront so that only kicks are routed to say track 1, snares to track 2, etc? I really dont want to have to leave drum pad section when i'm jamming out a beat as it removes me from my flow. thnx in advance!"

No not that way. Which i feel you would be nice....but the way i do it isn't really that hard.
    when your done jamming, finished go to the sequencer. Then you go make as many tracks you need. Name the tracks KICKS, HATS, SAMPLE etc... copy&paste your jam out session to each track. delete the notes/sound on the track and keep the right ones associated with the name you gave the track.

basically what @dubhausdisco said.

Good luck.
  • For what it's worth, I find pre setting up sessions with each pad on its own sequence to be more workflow-crushing than doing the above method. Best to just bang out what ever is in your head on one sequence then split the sequence by note later. For me that is :-)
  • Thnx again guys for replies!

@dubhaus - yeah I agree with your last post. Just thought there was some obvious solution I wasn't aware of. Big thing I realized was to just use my ipad instead of iPhone for this process as editing midi notes on a tiny iPhone screen is pain in a$$.

@alien_brain - I'm trying not to use audiobus as much as possible. So if I can export out bm2 as wav files later on, maybe even thru iFunbox, I'm ok with that added step later on after I've finished composing all the beats then deleting them later on.

I found out on another forum that Nanostudio actually does have ability to do what. I want without all this workaround and seriously looked at switching my entire workflow (drum beat wise) to nanostudio just for this reason but one nice feature that's convenient about bm2 is the multiple banks. Not sure if nanostudio has this but I couldn't seem to figure it out. I've got probably banks A,B, and C full of kicks, banks D,E and F full of snares and the remainder for various samples, hi-hats, etc. So when I'm working on an idea, it's very convenient to switch to the different banks and audition different samples to see which ones work or don't work with overall idea.

• @alien_brain how? I stopped using audio share cause whenI would record it would record the whole song into one recording and would not track it out like it was in BM2. Is there a way to do it or is the only way to mute tracks?
  • Damn. That sucks man. Maybe they will come up with a solution for this or maybe not.
  • Just checking back to this thread. Thanks for the suggestions. Copying clips then deleting notes isn't bad. Hopefully routing to multiple audio outs will be in a future update.

Aside from this I really like BM2's workflow and like the midi editor much better than genome and steppolyarp