Backing up your projects

edited December 2013 in General
Hi all!,
i'm writing this discussion hoping to be helpful to someone else!
i was upgradin' my jailbroken ipad from ios 6.xx to 7.0.4 and i didn't have the possibility to do a backup from itunes.
So idecided to do a manual backup using ifunbox and i copied the "user" folder under the beatmaker2 application.
It was all fine. So i did the ios upgrade anthen copied back the user folder to his location.
But...here come troubles!
In BM2 i wasn't be able to read any of my projects, because they weren't listed in the "open project" dialog!!!
after a little heart attack (ALL MY PROJECTS ARE GONE !!!! AAAAAAARRGGGGHHHHH) i investigated a little more and i've found out tha in another folder there is a little file called BeatMaker2.db. It is a sqlite file that contains among aother information, the projects and their path.. so i've created all the INSERT INTO sql query, to insert all my projects in the db table and ... TADAAAAA all my projects turned back! So the problem was that Beatmaker2 actually doesn't read the projects information from the filesystem but from the db and until the db doesn't contain this info you'll not be able to open your projects even if you've copied all the files needed.
The next time i will copy also the BeatMaker2.db file! :)

Hope this could help!
p.s. this means that we couldn't share our projects isn't it?

Comments

• thanks!!!! so if i wanted to have an exact duplicate setup on iphone and ipad, need to copy that db file.
  • Or you could just select "update database" in the Beatmaker 2 settings.
  • i was wondering what does "update database" meant..well, good to know!
    it must be turned always on? or is it just "one shot" switch? thanks
  • It's just a one shot switch- it won't do it every time. I also freaked out the first time I transferred a backup and nothing showed up!
  • Happy new Year, to all music producers! :)
    just to add another little information to this discussion..
    recently i've upgrade my ipad 3 to air and needed again to move my projects from the old ipad to the newest one:
    a great chance to test the new discovered "update database" switch!
    Unfortunely, after copied all my projects to their "user" folder, switched the "update database" on,
    and open BM2 nothing happened.. but without lose my faith, i've closed BM2 switched on the "RESET database" switch
    opened up BM2 and TADAAAAA! after a little message, all my beloved projects turned back!