Copy pad midi sequence data from one pattern to another within same bank?

Is it possible to copy pad midi sequence data from one pattern to another pattern? Say I record a kick pattern on a pad/track (not sure what to call it) and want to copy/paste that to another pattern in that same bank (or even another bank). I might like a bass line I played on pattern 1 and want to copy it to pattern 2.

Possible, or I have to replay it on the other pattern?

In BM2, I would just duplicate all of the midi notes and drag them down to another track ...

Comments

• edited July 2017

also... at the moment, how I do this (with two 4 bar patterns):
    -put the two patterns side by side in song view
    -merge the two patterns to make an 8 bar pattern
    -copy the pad midi notes (first four bars) to bar 5-8
    -delete all notes in first 4 bars
    -move bars 5-8 to start of pattern
    -change pattern length back to 4 bars

phew! Lots of work...

**the reason I do all of this is that sometimes I have a complex pattern of notes that would be extremely difficult to play again... if it is simple, I do

• @mre8 said:
    Is it possible to copy pad midi sequence data from one pattern to another pattern? Say I record a kick pattern on a pad/track (not sure what to call it) and want to copy/paste that to another pattern in that same bank (or even another bank). I might like a bass line I played on pattern 1 and want to copy it to pattern 2.

Possible, or I have to replay it on the other pattern?

In BM2, I would just duplicate all of the midi notes and drag them down to another track ...

+1
    I was also puzzled when I realized that I can't copy a midi pattern in song view from one track to another.

• edited July 2017

@william77 Yeah... in pattern view you can easily by duplicating, dragging and dropping..so not sure why this was left out as a function between patterns.. no way to get it out of that pattern into another one! Large omission to me, but I have faith it's already on the update menu... has to be... The recent update show's they're on their game... def need that midi export too!

• edited July 2017

Uh. This is super easy guys. Go to song mode, open the pattern helper and touch the bank you want to copy from. Long-press the pattern in the pattern list and drag it onto the timeline in the track you want to copy to. A copy of the pattern will appear in the timeline and in the pattern browser.

[edit] oops. Sorry, misread. You also want to copy between pads on the same bank.

• To copy a pattern to a different pad on the same bank:

1. Duplicate the pattern
    2. Open the duplicate pattern and close the key view so all the pad patterns just show as one line.
    3. With the rectangle tool, select the "notes" of the row you want to copy from, then just drag to the row (pad) you want it to be on.
  • edited July 2017

@number37 ... thanks, but not quite the question. I know I can select all notes of a pad and move or duplicate them to another pad within the same pattern.

My scenario is that I have two patterns in the same bank. Call them verse 1 and verse 2. Verse 1 pattern has a bass line on pad one. Verse 2 pattern has a different baseline on pad 1. I decide the bass line on pad 1 of the Verse 1 pattern would also sound good on pad 1 of the Verse 2 pattern. This is where I find no solution other than the long winded one I described.

If I missed something in your answer, let me know... thanks again.

• I don't get why you don't duplicate Verse 1 then... It would give you the same pattern that you can then rename Verse 2 ;-)
  • edited July 2017

@ElGrego ...because verse 2 has different midi sequences on the other pads... Verse 2 pattern is not identical to Verse 1. Why then would I need an identical copy of the same pattern? If the only difference between Verse 1 and 2 is the bass line, I would only need one pattern.

On the MPC for example, I can copy track one of sequence A to track (whatever) of sequence B.

• edited July 2017

so... I have concluded it just can not be done... :( For me, major, major flaw... If I am right, this is a major let down. Freely moving midi data around seems like such an elementary function...

I can deal with midi sequence data being "stuck" in a bank, but locked to a pattern?!! Nuts...

I hope they get all of the midi bugs and omissions together!

• I found what I THINK is the best way to do what I wanted in my question... not exactly what I wanted... I made a short tutorial on youtube here. It's called Beatmaker 3 Merge Pattern Midi Tutorial

• Thats good to know thanks mre8

• @stratguy10 ...yeah, the more I play around with the pattern layering thing, the more I see how it can be used. This may be a bit clunky, but making a separate pattern for certain pads is one way to keep the pattern flexible...

So, I made a pattern for the kick, dropped into song view... made a pattern for hihat and threw that on top...etc, etc... It's KIND of like the instrument sub tracks in BM2, but it would be great to be able to expand the overlapping patterns in song view and be able to remove or edit one of the stacked patterns while in song view. As it is, double clicking that stack of patterns in song view only opens the top-most pattern.

Also, without a way to view all of the patterns in the stack, it is possible to forget what exactly is in the stack!

...here's to future improvement.. maybe will suggest

• The tutorial you posted is very clear and helpful. Please make more! ;)

• @Lunafria You got it! Life goal #27: Be the Bob Ross of BM3 Tutorials :D

• @Lunafria :D no you didn't... proper