Create new sub-category for tagging?

edited August 2017 in General

According to the 3.01 change log, this should now be possible, but I cannot find how to do it. Any ideas?

Comments

• edited August 2017

PLUS "+" button

• edited August 2017

Thanks, I see the plus icon for category, but not for sub-category?

• Previously ...select edit & at least 1 sample , select edit tags at bottom of browser ,this opens tags menu . Select a main category or create your own , selecting this makes sub category Plus button appear

• edited August 2017

Hah, perfect, thanks! Doesn't look like I can add sub-categories to existing default categories, which is a shame though.

• We should come up with the best naming convention here for sub cats for everybody to use, there is nothing worse than the mess of NI expansions in Maschine, where various different interns have used different tags, so you end up with this sort of stuff....
    High Hats
    HI Hats
    Hihats
    HiHats
    basically all meaning the same thing and wasting valuable screen estate.
    My preference on the above is
    CHH
    OHH
    PHH
    Short, takes up very little visual space and gives you three distinct hi hat categories
  • Yeah, I agree (on the mess that is Maschine expansions too). I'm just a little disappointed that you cannot add sub cats to existing supplied categories. Still, it's a useful addition for now.

• Im not at the iPad, i thought you could add sub categories now ?
  • You can, but only for your own added categories, not for the existing default ones. I think I remember seeing a read-only flag in the database, so i'm going to try clearing that and see if it enables the add sub category button for them.

• Im lost, i dont understand how there are default and user sub categories, i will be home in a couple of hours and take a look so that i understand what you mean ;)
  • If you select the 'Drums' category, for example, which is one of the defaults that are pre-installed, the button to add a new sub-category is hidden. It only becomes visible for categories you create yourself.

• Can confirm that clearing the readonly attribute in db enables the add sub category functionality for default categories.

• edited August 2017
    Ok so that is a bug then, surely ?
    @mathieugarcia
  • @excesseye said:
    Can confirm that clearing the readonly attribute in db enables the add sub category functionality for default categories.

@excesseye Curious... how are you reading/modifying the db?

• edited August 2017

@excesseye Curious... how are you reading/modifying the db?

It uses a SQLite database, 'library.db', which is in the '.prefs' folder exposed when using iFunbox but hidden in iTunes. Obviously, I would recommend making a backup before editing.

• @excesseye ... thanks! Sweet... got some programming experience so that should be no problem. Potentially dangerous? But I'm going to try.

• @mre8 said:
    @excesseye ... thanks! Sweet... got some programming experience so that should be no problem. Potentially dangerous? But I'm going to try.

Yeah, safe enough. No programming necessary. I use the free DB Browser for SQLite which is a pretty nice GUI for rummaging around in there :)

http://sqlitebrowser.org