BM3 Note Repeat (Roll)

I just wanted to give a big kudos and thanks on the note repeat (roll) implementation in BM3. That is one of top 5 features I look for in any modern sequencer. Not only is the timing tight and accurate, but the method by which I could hold multiple timings while BM3 always follows the 'last selected'...I can't fully express in words how this is awesome. Even when I use one finger to slide through various timings and velocities simultaneously, BM3 never misses a step. For those who can't quite gel with it yet, I plan to do a video on the advantages over normal time repeat buttons.

Comments

• Am I using the note repeat feature wrong - or is there a caveat in using it?

Because if it's activated (let's say a 16th of a beat) - then it kinda "locks" all the pads to the speed of the note repeat.

On the MPC I'm used to having the note repeat feature as an additional function.
    So that I can tap the pads slow or even faster - but when I hold the pad - then the note repeat function gets triggered.

In BM3 if the note repeat is activated - I can't tap the pad individually in a different speed.
    Which is super impractical for my taste.

Can it be changed so that the pads can still be triggered individually and aren' t totally locked by the note repeat function?

• Indeed, you can use the pads independently of the repeat. What you're probably doing is tapping (and highlighting) the actual timing numbers. Those will lock all pads to the current settings. What I do is use the XY grid to simultaneously perform various timings and velocities.

Aside from having the useful XY pad, the note repeat schema isn't much different from standard...and I like how we can change the groove type in any of the 6 slots.

• @jblongz damn, you just reminded me I haven't even used the x/y yet! Need to check it out the way you described with the note repeat, sounds fun.
  • @Heyez use the select mode to select the pad and then the xy pad.
  • @LucidMusicInc thanks man, will check it out
  • I'm lost a bit here. What exactly is the xy pad?
    Where do I find it?

• are you talking about the "roll" screen when you say X/Y PAD ?

• @Hansson0728 said:
    are you talking about the "roll" screen when you say X/Y PAD ?

Yes

@william77 said:
    I'm lost a bit here. What exactly is the xy pad?
    Where do I find it?

• edited August 2017

yeah, but it's either my iPad or it doesn't work as fluently there either.
    I've tried it - and the pad triggering reacts very choppy.
    Not even close to how note repeat works on a MPC.

Not a fan at all. :/
    For how it's implemented in BM3 - it's pretty useless for me. That choppyness kills the flow totally.
    So really improvised "drumming" with note repeat add-ins isn't working for me.
    That BM3 note repeat solution feels super stiff.
    That way it's more predictable and easier for me to just program it manually.

I just wish that when the note repeat pattern is activated - that it doesn't block/prevent individual hits on top of it.
    That shouldn't be tooooo hard to implement - I don't even know why anyone would do it the other way around.

Especially because it then blocks ALL the other pads/samples ALSO into the same note repeat pattern.
    So I can't really drum a beat and ADD fast patterns into it. From a performing point of view it's really not very usefull.

• edited August 2017

I'm using iPad Pro 10.5" fluidly.

• @william77 not sure what you mean by blocking notes? If you have the polyphony set somewhere above 2-3 that should allow any number of simultaneous hits. You can also adjust the "stiffness" with swing or using double or triple notes. Those features as far as I'm aware don't exist in MPC.
  • well then my 12.9" iPad is not powerfull enough.
    or maybe we might have different expectations of fluid. :/

don‘t know - but the touch recognition reacts pretty sluggish.
    maybe it has something to do with this ominous touch bug the intua guys are trying to squash.

But it still behaves VERY differently than the note repeat I‘m used to on a MPC (and that is still the king of the class)

@jblongz - do you have any experience with the hardware style note repeat like the MPCs?
    Does it behave exactly the same on your iPad?

Because on mine it doesn't really recognize EVERY hit - if you touch it at a faster frequency or switch between from left to right between timings...
    Just weird. :(
  • edited August 2017
    @LucidMusicInc

DANG...... that‘s what was causing the „blocking“ the samples.... just upped the poliphony on the samples.

totally didn‘t thought of that. *facepalmingmyself*

Thanks a lot... :smiley:
  • edited August 2017
    But it still feels a bit sluggish.
    I have the feeling that it doesn‘t register the hits really fast enough.
    Especially when the note repeat is set at slower speeds like 1/4th or 1/8th - it behaves differently.
    And reacts slow upon the first touch? And generally.
    Don‘t know. Will have to experiment more with it. MPC just behaves differently - much better and way more responsive.
  • @william77 yeah it's just got a different feel probably. Give yourself a bit of time to work with it, I really like the double or dotted note setting, my favourite kind of groove. When you set the right swing everything should lock into place.
  • edited August 2017
    @LucidMusicInc - Yeah, and I think that this really might have partially something to do with this weird touch bug - that was mentioned in an other thread.
    I‘m experiencing a bit of general weird touch responsiveness since the last update. So might be just that.
    Have to wait until we arrive at more stable BM3 version.

Even though I really like BM3 and can see the potential of it - it‘s still to buggy to trust it with serious work for now. :(

Just tried to load a saved session - and it worked couple of hours ago. And now it won‘t load. :o really strange and pretty annoying.
  • edited August 2017

@william77 said:
    @jblongz - do you have any experience with the hardware style note repeat like the MPCs?
    Does it behave exactly the same on your iPad?

Yes, I have Maschine Studio, Ableton Push2 , and used several MPCs. Aside from tactile differences, the performance result is the same, or in some cases easier in BM3 with the XY option for roll. My only other experience for XY roll was the Korg PadKontrol, which was very complicated.

I'm using the 2017 iPad Pro with new processors and specs, but that may not be the reason we have different experiences. Check your audio buffer. Mine is usually at 128 or lower during production and 1024 for mixing...same thing for desktop work. That may help with your latency.

• One thing to remember regarding the 'roll pad' is that there is no need to enable it using the repeat toggles bellow it as it's always active. This way the pads stay super responsive and the roll pad just syncs to the next 'tick'.