BM3 3.0.2 online!!!!

Comments

• I like how the different bank groups have been added. I was worrying that there would be extra clicking through groups added but it doesn't change the current workflow at all, just adds more banks!
  • Also, there is a 2nd free starter pack in the BM3 store, thanks Intua!!!!!

• What am I missing? How do you navigate the new banks

• You have to create the new banks after h1 the goes a2 b2 so you can't just do a1 a2 a3 say for for drums. Unless I'm missing something.

• edited August 2017

Great update! I'm delighted that more than 8 banks (in fact a total of 128 banks) can now be added to the sequencer song mode. It would be great to see the next update allowing recording scenes into the sequencer like on Ableton Live. :)

• Just need a UT now to show us how some of these new functions work and can be implemented properly. Most of it makes sense. It's mainly the deep setting options.

• I was under the impression that a bank group could get some kind of bank group controls like mixer/fx for the group. Apparently it's just a naming scheme? Not complaining but it seems to me that a bank group ought to have the same function as a bank, i.e. Saving as a bank group and applying volume and fx to the group. Could have potential for live sessions... anyway my mini 2 can't run much above 8 banks anyway so it's a future feature request. Long live BM3!!!
  • The 128 tracks is very good, I would still suggest that freely routable MIDI tracks would be a major boon though.
    With one bank being able to hold up to 128 individual chromatic instruments, it would definitely be nice even if just to make things complete.

While that isn't a gripe just a suggestion, i do have a gripe, the multiple presses a lot of buttons take to actually work here (Air 2) has not been fixed and is now compounded by the left and right arrows for the group banks, it is completely random but a second ago it just took 6 presses to go from bank 4 to bank 5 while testing.
    Same page in the UI, up n down arrows for the pads page, works everytime.

Those lost touchs combined with the poor catchment area of the left and right markers in the sample editor are completely infuriating,
    I spend the majority of my time in bm3 getting annoyed thinking my screen is damaged, but every other app is fine (yes i know, i need to shut up, i should only encourage the developers, they can only do so much, its just an ipad, this is just ios software, what do you expect for this price...and every other platitude that has been thrown around)
  • edited August 2017

Here is a quick example of why it is infuriating.....
    Is this a new bug ? Is this lost touch messages and i am reporting the same bug ? is this even a bug (Maybe bm3 needs to be restarted after changing this preference, because it works again after a restart) because the lost touches feel and look exactly like this i have no idea..

• edited August 2017

The set values on all layers is not dynamic right ?
    So you turn a dial, then double click the dial, then press "set value on all layers" then click outside the panel to close said panel.

This seems to be backwards to me, for any kind of sound design you would want to hear what you are doing, no ?

So turning on "set value on all layers" then adjusting said dial until everything is set, then turn it off again if you want to.
    In fact even an on UI touch button that links all layers in the current instrument while it is pressed would work, actually it can be hidden away quite nicely, the sample waveform icon on the left hand side fits right under thumb while holding the ipad here, why not have it long press on that, example
    Long press the wave/sampler icon while doing anything in the sampler will do the same to all layers, so if i add a step modulator to the gain in layer 1 it will do the same to all the gains in all the layers, completely invisible and useful.
    Have the instrument name change to 'Linked' during the long press for visual confirmation, like so

Personally i would much prefer an on screen tickbox so i can just turn on linked layers, do adjustments and add modulators and such, then turn it off when i want individual control, but it is very possible i have completely misunderstood the use cases of this new feature entirely though.

• @5pinlink I did notice that if you want to I do the last midi input you did, you need to click undo twice, every time. Maybe connected, maybe not? I was working in the 'patterns' sidebar.
  • edited August 2017

Set values to all layers does not add modulators, is this expected behaviour ?
    So if i add a modulator to layer 1 gain, then set value to all layers, shouldn't that add the same modulator to all layers ?
    Even if i add a modulator to all layers manually, it doesn't update them when i click set values to all layers (Which also needs so visual indicator that it has happened, close the panel maybe ? )

• I have already had three step modulators go out of sync on matching layers, so not sure that is fixed, have not been able to recreate to warrant a bug report yet.

• edited August 2017

Yeah step modulators are broken here.
    Add a step modulator to a layers gain and create a trancegate pattern, when you press play you get an audible click at the start of each bar.
    16 steps and 32nd rate, so the step modulator is looping every half bar
    Makes no sense unless it is being triggered by new notes ?
    Maybe because this is 3 step modulators on 3 layers with 3 gains ?
    I don't want to mention global gain and filter per instrument because it will just annoy the police, but issues like this were exactly the sort of issues i worried about.
    Maybe step modulators should only be allowed on the first layer ?

http://www.5pin.link/bmtests/clicksy.wav

Don't want to post a bug report just yet until @mathieugarcia responds, could be expected behaviour and step modulators just dont work for trancegates.

• Yep step modulators are not designed how i thought, they are not synced at all with the timeline position, they are synced with the tempo but have no relation ship at all with the timeline position, so if you have a step modulator setup it should start the modulator from the start when the project is at the start, however as you can hear in this video, every time i press play, the step modulator is in a different position, i have done
    32 steps 16th rate, first half is on/off gated for 16 steps, second half is full on for 16 steps.
    As you can clearly hear, every time i press play, the modulation starts at different steps.

@mathieugarcia is this by design ?
    I can't personally see any use for tempo synced but free running, but i don't make ambient.
    Can we get a timeline synced sync mode for modulators.

Poly = Retrigger with each note
    Mono = Synced with timeline position
    Free = Tempo synced but not timeline synced (Mono as is now)

So yeah step modulators cant be used as trancegates ;)
    By the way what does grid mode actually do, i cant get it to do anything here ?

• Fixed audio clip thumbnail after tempo changes and live stretch mode change.
    Was that mean't to fix this ?
    https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4894/live-stretch-does-not-work-on-the-timeline-3-02#latest
    Because it is still broken.

• @5pinlink said:
    Fixed audio clip thumbnail after tempo changes and live stretch mode change.
    Was that mean't to fix this ?
    https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4894/live-stretch-does-not-work-on-the-timeline-3-02#latest
    Because it is still broken.

I was about to ask the same thing. This app has great potential for me IF THIS GETS FIXED. Thanks.

• @5pinlink said:
    Personally i would much prefer an on screen tickbox so i can just turn on linked layers, do adjustments and add modulators and such, then turn it off when i want individual control, but it is very possible i have completely misunderstood the use cases of this new feature entirely though.

Two options here:

• "Apply to all layers" could be a setting, per parameter, which is on or off.
    • Use the "SAMPLES" tab and select layers that would be linked, as you suggest.

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• @mathieugarcia
    A setting per parameter would be ideal really, but with the problems that are already arising with trying to run 3 step modulators in sync as noted above, i think i should just really shut up and not use layering for instruments to be honest, the idea of trying to have multiple MIDI triggered envelopes or multiple synced LFOs or multiple step modulators all staying in sync across layers is just not trust worthy for me personally, so i will not bother you about it again and just not create multi layered synths.
    as Samu suggested, just load an AUv3 for synths and don't use the sampler ;)

• @5pinlink maybe you could upload some videos of recommended synths? I'm using Sunrizer, Thor and Gadget for the most part. Curious to understand what kind of sound your trying to achieve.
  • A simple trancegated detune 5th, nothing particularly special, any synth with a step modulator and more than one osc can do it.
  • You lost me at the step modulator part. I still have no clue what that is/does or where it came from...
  • It just modulates a parameter in BM3 of a set amount of steps, each step has a value (set by a slider)
    When i get home i will do a quick video of it ;)
  • edited August 2017
    @5pinlink

i' understand what about you're talking.. there is small workaround how to do complex synth patches without need pf layering

you need create short looped multisamples (let's say c0,c1,c2,c3,c4,c5,c6) from your favourite synth where you will not use envelopes / filters - just oscillators - so you basically get sampled loopable notes for example from 3 oscillators together ..

then you can use these multisamples as single layer in BM3 sampler

you can prepare various oscillators combinations (saw+saw5th+sqare, ..) and then 1 layer will be enough

i'm not saying i'm happy with BM3 architecture -i'm not and most probably will never use it for production because of many reasons - but if you want, this is way, small workaround, how to do more complex synth patches

i used same method for some patched in patch banks for nanostudio 1 (these: https://sellfy.com/raysubject) - and NS1 even don't supports multisamples, just single one -and result was pretty good..
  • edited August 2017

Virsyn Addictive Pro AUv3 plugins still crash on 3.02 update. Probably a problem with Virsyn abandoning their AUv3 plugin.

• Hopefully fx modulation will arrive at some point quite soon and be a pretty good alternative fix for some of the 'multiple layers' related modulation workflow stuff that people are talking about.

That + an Elektron style 'ctr-all' button/implementation (with different levels) would cover 99% of 'multiple layer' tweaks requirements I can imagine and solve problems whilst also offering a ton of new realtime performance options.
  • Is scene mode completely broken in 3.0.2 ?
    Zoom does nothing, after i have added 5 scenes the scroll stops working so i can't add anymore, I can't turn off playing patterns by clicking them (pretty sure you could do that in 3.0.0)

• You have to scroll horizontally, with your finger in touch on the blue label of the scene
  • @BeatNtua said:
    You have to scroll horizontally, with your finger in touch on the blue label of the scene

So what are the + and - magnify icons for, or indeed the sliding song preview to the left of them ?
    They do nothing at all here.

• @5pinlink said:
    @mathieugarcia is this by design ?
    I can't personally see any use for tempo synced but free running, but i don't make ambient.
    Can we get a timeline synced sync mode for modulators.

Poly = Retrigger with each note
    Mono = Synced with timeline position
    Free = Tempo synced but not timeline synced (Mono as is now)

So yeah step modulators cant be used as trancegates ;)
    By the way what does grid mode actually do, i cant get it to do anything here ?

Right on, still needs that third option to be sync'd with the sequencer.

Cheers.