Banks/layers basic workflow/options improvements

edited August 2017 in Feature Requests
Banks/samples -
Ideally I wanna mostly have very similar pads setups on all my custom drum banks like 4 kicks, 4 snares, 2 hats, open hat, cymbal, ride, 3 toms etc. So when/if I switch out a bank the same instrument will usually be on the same pad. Some banks I'll leave this template behind and throw a ton of stuff in etc. But for the most part I'm looking to be able to audition/switch drum banks whenever I want and for existing patterns to still make sense, with the same kind of instrument on the same pad.

Atm this is causing me bank design headaches. Like if I have a sample folder like Goldbaby vinyl 909...there are a TON of bass drums, a ton of snares etc. It's not the end of the world to just pick a few out, but would be cool/less rigid if the following functions were added, so I could keep most drum banks organised/uniform on the surface but fast variation/auditioning options -

-Open current pad sample folder option/button. Quick access to the folder containing the current pad's sample. So if I have a 909 kick that isn't quite right for the song I can instantly browse the others in that 909 folder and switch it out to a different variation.

- Audition layer sample when tap on the sample name in the layers list. Would save 1 click per audition vs current workflow of select layer and then press play in layer wav preview player. Seems trivial when auditioning between only a couple of layers but if you have 30 layers and wanna audition through them, it would save 30 taps...

Solo layer/s. Currently we only have mute layer/s. If we could quickly audition layers as mentioned above, and solo the layer/s that work for the current song, we could put a ton of kicks in to one pad as layers (like 50 of the Goldbaby 909 vinyl ones) and just solo the one/s we want in that particular song/pattern. Could currently do this via layer mutes but potentially a LOT more button presses than soloing. Round robin and recording of layer mute/solo automation would also be useful/fun options here...

Highlight the last imported sample in browser. When dragging for example kick drums across from a folder that has 100 almost identically named kicks in it, it's easy to lose track of where you're at and having to count pads then count down in the browser, just to find your place again, is Ugh...

Edit - also there seems to be space either side of the word 'samples' (in sample view page, under the small pads, where you have two tabs 'channel' & 'samples'). For up + down buttons, one either side of the word 'samples'. This could be worth throwing in too as an extra 'auto audition nxt/prv layer' tool.

Comments

• Open current pad sample folder option/button. Quick access to the folder containing the current pad's sample. So if I have a 909 kick that isn't quite right for the song I can instantly browse the others in that 909 folder and switch it out to a different variation.

There is a feature request for "Open sample browser when double click sample name" maybe combine the two ideas ?

Highlight last imported is already requested.

Up+down button i suggested moving up and down within the samples current folder, so you could have a folders of snares, load a snare, use the up +down arrows to go through the snares in the folder at a rapid pace while the pattern was playing, but maybe yours is for a different usage ?

• edited August 2017
    I think they're all different workflow/benefits from the similar requests you mentioned above, like being accessible in different screens etc (except for Highlight last sample imported.. That request sounds same as someone already posted). Hopefully intua can put them all in alongside each other :)
  • edited August 2017
    BM2 had it perfect. I'd suggest bringing back that page on the performance screen, the one that let you navigate through presets and also the bank pages. Maybe it's late in the game but BM2 design consolidated the features into that panel allowing the pads to get more screen space, rather than having those features bordered around the pads in BM3 and this was a much better design IMO. I'd add that extra space for larger pads would make a significant difference to playing in 64 pad mode too...
  • @LucidMusicInc I only ever used bm2 a handful of times and a while ago.... I'll fire it up at some point so I can see what you're describing :)
  • @Heyez im just describing the drum machine sidebar. It allowed you to swap presets and samples and do a range of other cool stuff. All those controls surrounding the pad in BM3 would have been better consolidated in a sidebar panel instead :neutral:
  • Ahhh, yeah sounds like it's maybe worth a backwards glance if intua don't have better fit solutions planned.