Nudging snares/claps sample at a time

edited September 2017 in Feature Requests

There's a trick I've been using for a while in Ableton and I can't figure out how I'd go about it in Beatmaker. All the tools are there so I'm sure it's just a matter of workflow. All of my beats have more than one snare and clap layered. Once I've got it looped I like to nudge different samples back and forth in time sample at a time. It makes an amazing difference both to the character of the sound but also to the groove. I believe the technique I'm using is called pre-delaying but to be honest it's a real trial and error method for me,

Any idea how I'd go about doing this in BM3?

Comments

• To add, a really important part of what I wanna do is move samples ever so slightly ahead of the beat. A clap that hits right before a snare sound, changes the whole sound.

• I haven't seen anything yet that would equate to a nudge in BM3, definitely needed though for sure.

• edited August 2017
    I miss sequencer note nudge/transpose and layer offset too. Hopefully they'll make it in to BM3 soon.

Edit - for nudge maybe they could have a permanent left + right arrow and a box with snap value amount in it that expands to column with the various snap amounts when tapped. Under sequencer/piano roll.
  • +1 for nudge

• +1 indeed!

• +1 for nudging with added twist
    iIn addition to nudging single events back/forward in time or nudging the key up/down...
    ...add option for nudging of entire 'rows & columns'(this would be perfect for nudging chords up/down on the scale or moving them forward/back in time). Nudging selected 'notes' could be used to 'nudge' multiple events at once.

• @samu said:
    +1 for nudging with added twist
    iIn addition to nudging single events back/forward in time or nudging the key up/down...
    ...add option for nudging of entire 'rows & columns'(this would be perfect for nudging chords up/down on the scale or moving them forward/back in time). Nudging selected 'notes' could be used to 'nudge' multiple events at once.

So like a "grid" or "free" nudge (have an option at the bottom or somewher to toggle) for horizontal movement and a "note" nudge for vertical movement?

• @drez said:

@samu said:
    +1 for nudging with added twist

So like a "grid" or "free" nudge (have an option at the bottom or somewher to toggle) for horizontal movement and a "note" nudge for vertical movement?

Yepp! And it could be further improved by optionally 'scrolling'(vertical or horisontal) the events within a selected area, or for some creativity add a slight 'randomise' to selected events :)

The 'nudge' could also respect the selected scale so all the nudged notes/chords etc. stay on key.
    (But that in turn would be pretty 'automatic' once we get scales in the grid-editor).

• Yeah, I think that would great! Would also like the default for note length to have separation between the notes, but be able to select notes and hit a "legato" button (or something) to "link" the end-to-beginning together.

• @drez said:
    Yeah, I think that would great! Would also like the default for note length to have separation between the notes, but be able to select notes and hit a "legato" button (or something) to "link" the end-to-beginning together.

I think that could be something for a 'midi process' menu :)
    Examples for a selection could be 'tie events' and/or 'modify gate-lenght', 'ramp velocities % -- %' etc. etc.