Recording one pad into another

Hi. I figure this is probably possible but I haven't figured it out. Can I record the output of one pad into another? I want to record the sequence I play of one sample (with the keyboard) into another pad. Possible?

Comments

• edited September 2017

Ok, so this is possible, but perhaps not as flexible as you might want...

1. Setup your pad with the sounds and samples you want (including any AU and IAA plugins and effects)
    2. Switch from pad view to the piano keyboard display
    3. Adjust the threshold down to it's lowest value (i'll explain why afterwards*)
    4. Press the start button (bottom left) to start recording
    5. Play a sequence without leaving the piano view, then manually stop the recording.
    6. A new layer will be created on the destination pad you selected with a WAV file containing your recorded sequence.
    7. This wav file will also be available from the file browser if you want to load it in a different bank/session

*if the threshold is too high, BM3 will automatically stop recording when it detects a gap between notes, which can be very useful when sequentially sampling from plugins like beathawk, DM1 and iM1, but not so good for our purpose here. Keeping the threshold at the lowest setting will keep the recording going until you manually stop it.

T

• Thanks for the answer! I already do what you describe though. I want to then record that sample as I play it up and down the keyboard. That's a critical feature for me.
  • The solution I gave will allow you to play a melodic sequence (up and down the keyboard) and then have whatever you play captured in a WAV file, and loaded on a pad.

If you're struggling to understand how to load and map samples to a bank/pad you should read the Editor view online documentation or PDF Manual

• edited September 2017
    That's not the problem or solution. I want to then record the transposition of that whole melodic sequence. Beatmaker allows you to play it on that sample page keyboard but maybe not record it?
  • There might be a better way but here is how I would go about it

• As far as I know being able to use the 'Plug-In Sampler' with the standard sampler pads is in the back-log.
    This will be very handy for 're-sampling'(ie. apply/burn-in effects and processing to the sample).

• @firejan82 said:
    There might be a better way but here is how I would go about it

Thank you @firejan82 - this is a fantastic demonstration, very helpful, and taught me a new (better) workflow.

• edited September 2017

Good stuff. So it's only possible with a midi keyboard?

• @raindro said:
    Good stuff. So it's only possible with a midi keyboard?

That was all touchscreen. You can even use the small keyboard from the sample page.

• @firejan82 I learned two new things by watching your video. Thank you!
  • @lukesleepwalker Glad to hear that. I've only been figuring this stuff out the last couple of days. I do a lot of bouncing of midi sequenced AU or IAA instruments into audio track clips in scene mode. It's the same workflow but instead of CREATE PATTERN you press RECORD SAMPLE which opens up the Audio recorder where you can route audio, sync and set the length. I am quite happy with this workflow and the possibilities it brings.

• @firejan82 thanks a bunch. It would have been a long time before I figured out that pattern mode work around!