New Dubstep in BM2!!!!!

Guys check this out!!!

Listen to The Bro - Take me there (1st demo) by The Bro #np on #SoundCloud

Comments

• Not my sort of style again to be honest, to be fair, in the UK this is much closer to UK garage than Dubstep, the production just lacks a little grit again, the arrangement is very good (lacks a vocal for the hook to be honest, but that is a commercial thing)

• edited October 2017
    Hope you don't take any of what I'm about to say too harshly...

The groove is starting to take shape nicely, but...

Much too much reverb on the hats at the start, and not overly keen on the bass drum sample.

Where's the sub, bro? There's some 303 style mid bass in the final section, but no rumbling sub anywhere in the track.

Rather than keep repeating the reverb-heavy strings throughout, you need to build an alternative bass-heavy B-section (where the strings are dropped) at around 1:10, then you can alternate between the crescendo-building A-section (strings and Congos) with the more head-nodding bass-lead B-section. This will help bring some song structure to the track, and stop it meandering with nowhere specific to go.

The synth patch, and melody it plays, is repetitive and a bit weak (sorry)

Also, no offense, but you're really missing out on some amazing BM3 features that would help take your BM2 tracks to the next level. Have you considered upgrading yet?

T
  • @tk32 said:
    Hope you don't take any of what I'm about to say too harshly...

The groove is starting to take shape nicely, but...

Much too much reverb on the hats at the start, and not overly keen on the bass drum sample.

Where's the sub, bro? There's some 303 style mid bass in the final section, but no rumbling sub anywhere in the track.

Rather than keep repeating the reverb-heavy strings throughout, you need to build an alternative bass-heavy B-section (where the strings are dropped) at around 1:10, then you can alternate between the crescendo-building A-section (strings and Congos) with the more head-nodding bass-lead B-section. This will help bring some song structure to the track, and stop it meandering with nowhere specific to go.

The synth patch, and melody it plays, is repetitive and a bit weak (sorry)

Also, no offense, but you're really missing out on some amazing BM3 features that would help take your BM2 tracks to the next level. Have you considered upgrading yet?

T

No problem at all mate. I've dropped the reverb heavy hats on the beat and swapped them with something a little crisper and snappy. Also add a big sub to underpin the 303 style bassline. Need to work on a better melody which is my weak point. Will post up the new version later today. Thanks for the comments. :smile:

• edited October 2017

Version 2. I'll post version 3 in a few days I hope. Enjoy!!!

• Hey @The_Bro

BIG step in the right direction. Can you see how much tighter those hats now sound compared to the earlier version..

I think the biggest thing you need to work on is song structure now (which I imagine will be what you're doing for version 3).

In my opinion, the chord progression pads are a really nice building element, but they go on a bit too long. Try dropping them out earlier, then bring them back in again later.
  • Thanks mate. Yeah I'm working on the song structure at the moment. Nice one for the support!

• No probs. Peer support and encouragement is a great way to help each other get better at doing what we love... making music.

Btw, you might want to check your soundcloud links above, they don't seem to work for me anymore (unless it's a temporary glitch with these forums)

• edited October 2017

@tk32 Btw, you might want to check your soundcloud links above, they don't seem to work for me anymore (unless it's a temporary glitch with these forums)

Would be great to get that sorted @The_Bro - same story here - looking forward to giving it a listen :)

• Ive made his link clickable until embeds get fixed ;)
  • null
    Thanks mate. :smile:
  • Are the links working? Any more comments? ;-)

• switched the link back to https, seems to be ok now

• Hey guys done a quick master and this is the 3rd version. Have a listen and let me know your thoughts.

• I scrapped v3. Have a listen to v4. Thanks.

Listen to The Bro - Take me there (4th demo) [Master 1] by The Bro #np on #SoundCloud
  • Hi @The_Bro

Only managed a quick listen through my phone's speakers so far, so will not be able to comment much on the mastering you mention.

Regarding your song structure and synth riffs, I have 2 observations..

1. At 1:36 my ears were really expecting a drop, and although I hear the bass come in, I was surprised that it is still being accompanied by the pads and chords. Given this style of music, there needs to be a build-up and payoff (as mentioned previously) and I really feel that you need to try stripping things back to just the drums and bass at 1:36 (if not even earlier)

2. The little repeating synth line that comes in needs slightly more variety, as its quite repetitive at the moment. Have you tried creating a complimentary melody with slightly different notes that could be used to spice it up a bit on some of the repeats, to stop the track being too predictable?

I'll give a bit more feedback once I've had a listen on decent headphones.

Cheers,
  • @tk32 said:
    Hi @The_Bro

Only managed a quick listen through my phone's speakers so far, so will not be able to comment much on the mastering you mention.

Regarding your song structure and synth riffs, I have 2 observations..

1. At 1:36 my ears were really expecting a drop, and although I hear the bass come in, I was surprised that it is still being accompanied by the pads and chords. Given this style of music, there needs to be a build-up and payoff (as mentioned previously) and I really feel that you need to try stripping things back to just the drums and bass at 1:36 (if not even earlier)

2. The little repeating synth line that comes in needs slightly more variety, as its quite repetitive at the moment. Have you tried creating a complimentary melody with slightly different notes that could be used to spice it up a bit on some of the repeats, to stop the track being too predictable?

I'll give a bit more feedback once I've had a listen on decent headphones.

Cheers,

Yeah I agree the melody could be less repetitive and is its weak point. I'll continue working on it. Let me know what you think of the mix once you've heard it through decent headphones. Nice one.