IPhone audio > ipad via USB?

Think I read somewhere about an app that enabled audio over USB from ipad to macbook. Wondering if the same app/technique can be used to record YouTube from iPhone in to BM3 on ipad? Via usb and CCK. Removing need for interface for sofa sampling sessions... Optimistic probably but about to switch back from android to iPhone and it'd sometimes be handy....

Comments

• It’s built in to macOS since Yosemite I believe... hook your iThing up to the Mac by usb, then open Audio MIDI Setup. Your iYoke should be visible and you can connect from there. I’ll find and post a tutorial about it when I get the time. Failing that, you could try audiomux/studiomux... http://studiomux.net. Really do not like UI on the iOS app, and the VST is a bit buggy, but it works if the Mac specs aren’t up to date...
  • edited October 2017

It's a no can do. IDAM audio is only iOS->Mac at the moment...

As for 'sofa sampling'. I've got my AppleTV hooked to my TV and from the TV I've got a line-out going to the Line6MobileIn for sampling. Perfect for grabbing random audio from the TV or just about any app running on the AppleTV :)

• Thanks for infos peeps. Sounds like it's no go for phone>ipad. Bummer...
    I don't have a Mac or Apple TV so those options sound cool but not something I can check out atm :(
  • Any iOS compatible audio-interface would do as a 'middle man' and it would be 'real' sampling and not just digital piping from one device to another.

For extra spice, put the iPhone/iPad close to a speaker and sample that way.
    The results can get pretty 'interesting' :)

Another option would be to download the Youtube clips...

• edited October 2017

Just tested this: turn on iOS 11 screen recording, play whatever you want to sample on the device, stop the recording and review the video in photos app to make sure the sound you wanted was captured, share the video to “Save to Files” (iOS 11), choose AudioShare as the destination, convert the file in audioshare to wav, import it into bm3. I dunno if any other apps support both converting video to audio as well as supporting iOS 11 Files. I recorded a YouTube video playing in Chrome. =)

• I suspect a lot of people to scream at me here a lot, but unless you have something very special post the output of YouTube you shouldnt be sampling it anyway, not because of copyright because everyolbody knows my thoughts on that, as far as im concerned you sample whatever you want, but because it is pretty crap quality.

I do get it that some spoken word is only on YouTube but all Music/TV/Film can be had at much higher quality (and YouTubes compression is not a nice one like Rolands RDAC, its horrible.

If you do need it then you should only ever rip it and hope to get a nice 1:1, going from one compressed format to another and then to wav is gonna give you some serious artifacts (content depending of course)

Why is audio always a second class citizen with these damn video compressors :(

• edited October 2017

@ronji said:
    Just tested this: turn on iOS 11 screen recording, play whatever you want to sample on the device, stop the recording and review the video in photos app to make sure the sound you wanted was captured, share the video to “Save to Files” (iOS 11), choose AudioShare as the destination, convert the file in audioshare to wav, import it into bm3. I dunno if any other apps support both converting video to audio as well as supporting iOS 11 Files. I recorded a YouTube video playing in Chrome. =)

Works with Spotify as well but the 'bitrate' at which the AAC/MP4 audio is encoded is quite low but hey, it works for quick'n'dirty 'mono' sampling :)

Once BM3 3.0.4 ships you'll be able to do 'Save to Files' directly into a folder in BM3 and do a conversion to *.wav there. One thing to remember though is that the 'extension' of the *.MP4 file has to be changed to *.m4a in order for the conversion to work.

Hopefully @mathieugarcia can add *.MP4 to the 'recognised' file-types for conversion...

• @Heyez I so did not read your question correctly - sorry about that! You would need some external equipment to do that, possibly an iConnectMIDI. I wouldn't recommend one. Had to depopulate the capacitors on my one to get it to work properly. I mean, really...

• @5pinlink @samu yeah, I hadn’t even looked further into the results before sharing, but you’re right of course. The results are low quality so it would only be useful for quick and dirty sampling, but after looking more into it I could barely recommend iOS 11 screen recording as a workaround. The audio quality in the resulting screen recording seem to be variable bit rate (first test was 87 kbps, second was 51 kbps), but it’s also definitely mono with only capturing the left channel (did a test bm3 and the right channel is silent). And I wasn’t even able to get a second screen recording made with audio from Chrome, because screen recording in iOS 11 is an unreliable heap of trash right now. Sounds like an external interface of some kind is needed for sure.

• @5pinlink Yeh YouTube audio quality isn't gonna cut it for a lot of people but it's fine for the kind of degraded sound I like. Too much gold buried there to ignore it entirely ;)
  • For 'Youtube Sampling' I'd recommend a download of 'Documents 5'(It has a built in web-browser that can actually download files) and use of webpages that extract audio from Youtube links...
    (Those are easy enough to find using Google). For 'Spotify Sampling' screen-recording remains the only option for now.