2-4 Bar Lag Before Sound When Using Several AU Instruments and/or AU Effects

After reloading a previously saved Session, watching the "Sessions Loading" window disappear I push the start button and have a lag of 2 to 4 bars or so before I hear any sound when I have a number of AU Instruments and Effects running. This is with 6 to 14 AUs going depending on the session. Once I have sound I can restart the clock and have all sound from the first beginning. Anyone else?

Comments

• edited October 2017

This is quite normal for me and my ageing iPad Air 1. Depending on the number (and size) of the AUs in the project it can take up to another 5+ seconds after the session loading animation goes before the track is ready to play (iSEM is particularly slow to load, I find). You can tell something is not ready because the UI is unresponsive while it finishes loading.

This is the same loading lag that you get when using AUs in other hosts, such as Cubasis, except Cubasis does a better job of keeping the loading message onscreen until all plugins are ready.

My advice is to just give it a few extra seconds to load if you know there are multiple heavy AUs in the session (...or upgrade to a newer iPad?). I expect future BM3 updates will improve the loading animation to stay up until all plugins are ready.

• @tk32 said:
    This is quite normal for me and my ageing iPad Air 1. Depending on the number (and size) of the AUs in the project it can take up to another 5+ seconds after the session loading animation goes before the track is ready to play (iSEM is particularly slow to load, I find). You can tell something is not ready because the UI is unresponsive while it finishes loading.

This is the same loading lag that you get when using AUs in other hosts, such as Cubasis, except Cubasis does a better job of keeping the loading message onscreen until all plugins are ready.

My advice is to just give it a few extra seconds to load if you know there are multiple heavy AUs in the session (...or upgrade to a newer iPad?). I expect future BM3 updates will improve the loading animation to stay up until all plugins are ready.

Thanks for the confirmation. Agreed, the Sessions Loading animation should continue until all assets are loaded.

• Most likely due to the fact that most Plug-Ins have not been fully loaded before playback starts.
    This is especially true if iSEM is used. It's the most slow loading AUv3 on iOS that I know of.

Personally I just wait a few seconds after loading a session before starting playback...

• @samu said:
    Most likely due to the fact that most Plug-Ins have not been fully loaded before playback starts.
    This is especially true if iSEM is used. It's the most slow loading AUv3 on iOS that I know of.

Personally I just wait a few seconds after loading a session before starting playback...

I do wait but with no indicator that all AUs are completely loaded it's still a bit hit or miss. These false starts would be terrible in a live situation.

• edited October 2017

Do AUs actually send a notification to the host to say that they have finished loading, not sure they do, which would make it impossible to do anything from the host side.

They don't on the desktop, that's why things like Kontakt have their own load indicator.