Cubasis Vs Auria

edited October 2017 in General
Big fan of BM3 but feels like it's at least a couple months away from totally smoothing out. Spent some money on AU Synths/FX since getting back in to ipad and thinking about trying out a more traditional Daw to add to the arsenal and use for heavy duty traditional midi sequencing work until BM3 is a little less frustrating in that area. Any Cubasis/Auria users in here? Recommended?
Cubasis Vs Auria
  1. Which prefer?6 votes
    1. Cubasis
      66.67%
    2. Auria
      33.33%

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Actually, think I just decided from this video. Didn't realise Auria had transient slice/Warp Markers.. This vid at 2.58... Unless cubasis has this too then thats me decided...off to investigate...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2017
    Yeah BM3 reminds me more of a hardware instrument than a daw. I dig it a lot. But after recently spending dough on model 15 and zeeon I feel like a regular daw would be useful to have on ipad too. Seems like eventually BM3 will do all I need. But for now just a super fast/solid/intuitive midi sequencer/editor and audio tracks that have transient detection and Warping feel like it would be worth me copping cubasis or auria...

Anyone know if both auria and cubasis have -
    Support Bluetooth midi controllers
    Export midi tracks (not audio)
    Freeze midi tracks enabling export of wav to audio track or BM3 etc?
    Automate AUv3
    Automate IAA
    Automate stock fx params
    Have decent stock reverb/delay etc
    Duplicate track
    Export multiple track stems
    Save fx chains
    Save track template (for example. Zeeon + fx)
    Arpeggio
    Midi overdub
    Take lanes
    Some Kind of drum sampler (like a simplified BM3 pads view) with slice to pads etc?
    Some Kind of Multisampler (like a simplified BM3 keyzone sampler)
    Modulation (LFOs? Envelopes?)
    Transient slice/warping
    Sequence external hardware

Thanks!
  • edited October 2017
    General user observations/problems with both would be good to hear too. Like -

Stability/crashes/bugs.
    Midi controller integration.
    Export convenience/flexibility.
    Any small workflow/functionality things that regularly piss people off..
    Etc.

Cheers
  • If you have the patience then you'll probably get AP for half price on Black Friday (following previous years pattern).
  • Thanks for heads up. Yeah, potentially good deal, I'll hold off.
  • edited October 2017
    I have both, but prefer Cubasis over Auria.

Auria feels like an attempt to build a full DAW, but Cubasis embraces the iOS platform much better, and is much easier to use efficiently with fingers.

I only used AP for a short while as I find midi recording and editing in it a real chore. Cubasis is much better for recording and editing midi (second only to Nanostudio imho). The only things I miss from AP are the fabfilter plugins (IAP) and tasty channel strip EQ and compression tools. Being able to create sub-mix channel groups is really nice too for drum compression, and the midi quantise and midi effects were quite handy.

Note - BM3 is currently the only host to have AU automation, although the rumours are that Cubasis will be getting it in the next update.
  • Thnx for info.

@tk32 I read someone say in a forum that auria has AU automation? Maybe they were giving out wrong info tho?

Does cubasis have transient Warp Markers like Auria/Ableton? That's a pretty big attraction for auria for me.

Heard a lot of people complaining of auria midi editing in piano roll. Is auria midi workflow similar to current BM3 for bugs/fiddliness etc? Or a significant improvement as things stand?

How's automation on auria and cubasis compare to BM3 in terms of copying/pasting automation. Been struggling with this side of BM3 a lot recently. Just wanna be able to copy a clip/pattern and have the automation copy/paste along with it...

Do both auria and cubasis have 'normal' playback cursor behavior? Or the weird thing BM3 has where you need to move the playback loop along timeline to specify your 'on stop rwnd to' point?

Do they both have midi overdub?

So many questions :/ I'll continue digging round other forums for info..
  • edited October 2017

There's no transient slicing in Cubasis, but it does everything else extremely well.

Midi overdub can be a little hit & miss, but it's always very easy to group-select overlapping midi blocks then glue them into one pattern.

Cubasis automation is not bad - everything records inside the midi pattern

From what I can remember, recordings and editing midi in Auria is worse than BM3

• Thnx dood.
  • edited October 2017

Cubasis is really good, but, what's make Auria/Auria Pro so so much better spells: FABFILTER!

The Fabfilter plugins in Auria is not cheap, but, they are so lovely sounding and the GUI in them is so wonderful that made you wants to licker the screen (stolen from a member on Audiobus forum)...

• BM2 is my favorite.

• I have both, but dont like either very much. I dont think this type of too traditional daws fit on a touch screen very well and feels clumsy to use. Out of the two i think auria is better on paper, but cubasis is less frustrating to use.
    I ended up ditching them both quite soon and simply not use a daw until i could move everything to ableton.

Imo bm3 is much more touch screen friendly than either of those
  • Guess I should prob just save my £ and wait it out til BM3 is polished up.. Those transient/Warp markers in Auria are calling me hard tho. But apparently it doesn't have AU automation like BM3 so it's kind of tit for tat..