Suggestions for the Next Big Update

2»

Comments

• edited 12:29PM
    This is not because of Intua, but a limitation with the official Apple SDK. I believe with the firmware 3 update Apple is planning on opening up a part of the file system for situations like this. Many apps, not just beatmaker, suffer from not being able to transfer content easily.
    more effects.
    I hate to make feature requests because I don't want to sound like I'm not happy with the software as it is...

But this is something that I think would be helpful:

Kit Transfer via USB plug.

I don't always have wi-fi (especially at work) and there's times I want to share patches with co-workers and friends and can't.
    i think noise.io has the best file transfer:
    every bank has a code. just type this code in the download-section in the app and it comes over the air.

if there wont be 2 or 4 banks of pads it would be great to save an arrangement an then use another kit to it.

i think it would be very difficult to add a piano roll, so why dont you make a deal with "pianist" like the one with "noise.io"?;)
    i think it would be very difficult to add a piano roll, so why dont you make a deal with "pianist" like the one with "noise.io"?;)

I don't mean to be picky about this, but I just don't want people to get confused about what the function of a "piano roll" is. This is just a method of inputting notes in a program. It doesn't really have anything to do with a piano nowadays. It's just a visual representation of a piano keyboard and timeline/sequencer. It's function is to take a sound and be able to map it out by semitones and length. When applying it to a sampler like beatmaker any type of sound can be used in the piano roll.

Here is a good example:
    boobass.JPG
    +1 for ability to set loop start/end points for a sample

- also ability to support playback of compressed audio files would be welcome to save RAM (looks to me like BM keeps all audio files for a kit loaded in memory for responsiveness, but if you have some larger files you run out of memory, can you load Mp3 or similar instead and decode them on the fly?)

- More effects and effect chains

- How about defining the iPhone equivalent of the VST format? If you did that your application and your format would become the de-facto standard for music composition and interoperability on the iPhone. Adding the ability to load plugins into BM might be a strain on memory at the moment, but look to the future, 3rd,4th,5th generation iPhones will have increased RAM going forward.

- BPM detector
    I request the ability to use my dock mic/line-in on my 1st gen ipod touch.

- Lots of other apps work great with this combo (I have an iVoice Pro), like Fourtrack, Truphone, fring, voxie, etc.

Also, I second the motion for a more linear recording mode. Patterns are great, but it would be great to be able to make longer 'live' recordings. Perhaps longer pattern lengths (more bars) would solve this.

Thanks.
    A piano roll would solve all of my problems...
    It would essentially FREE UP space by eliminating current pitch control features and other suggested updates that would only clutter up the sequencer.
    You could simply hear what you were playing and adjust the velocity and note duration all on the same screen.
    I would gladly pay for this update.
    I hope if Intua does decide to do anything with a Piano Roll, they throw it in another app. I really hate piano rolls for making music -- either record the melody from you playing, using a piano roll to tweak the notes, or use a pattern-based sequencer to get a pattern in there. Clicking little notes to get a melody is a) a bad way to make a beat and b) especially annoying on a small screen.

But if Intua made another app to deal with melody and could import or even work with BeatMaker in some way? That'd be pretty cool.
    I hope if Intua does decide to do anything with a Piano Roll, they throw it in another app. I really hate piano rolls for making music -- either record the melody from you playing, using a piano roll to tweak the notes, or use a pattern-based sequencer to get a pattern in there. Clicking little notes to get a melody is a) a bad way to make a beat and b) especially annoying on a small screen.

But if Intua made another app to deal with melody and could import or even work with BeatMaker in some way? That'd be pretty cool.

I could see how a piano roll would be fiddly for inputting notes What about having a piano roll to just move notes around and have some method of using the pads to play notes? The idar is you select the pad of the sound you want then switch it to keys mode, then the currently selected pad sample is spread across the 16 pads in semitones. You could bash out a small melody which is recorded into a patten which is editable as before.
    Subject: Suggestions for the Next Big Update
    1 or 3 more banks of 16 pads.
    Even if its only 1 more bank that would be Beautiful!
    We could play beats and bass on one bank then chop a sample over 16 pads on bank 2!!!

And Cut off for the pads , I know how to lower the velocity to 0 to do a work around , however a function for it would be nice!

This is exactly what it needs! 2 banks total would be cool...4 total would be great, i just worry about RAM...but nonetheless, this is what BM needs.
    I'de like to be able to audition samples at the download section.
    Sorry, already can audition the samples at the samples "load" section on the pad screen. I requested too soon.
    I guess the main thing is being able to import multiple kits for a song. I do agree a piano roll and keyboard would be nice. Beatmaker seems to be more of the mpc chop method and not the FL Studio method. Basically take a sample, chop it, put it on a pad and play. Again, I would mainly like to have multiple kits.
    1) cutting off other pads. this should be simple to incorporate, in the same way you can mute or reverse pads, you can choose for one pad to mute(cut off) one or more other pads.

2)ERASE... this could be in the transport, hit erase mode, hit and hold the pad(s) to erase while the pattern is playing at the moments you want to erase your note... no need for an undo function if you have this...

I really want these features, and to continue on point 1, maybe another option could be to have the sample play while the pad is held down, and the sample playback will stop when you release your finger.
    clublime thought of the idea that it would be cool to have a "Finish" mode, and be able to compress the song upon exporting it, gettting rid of noises and frequencies below 20Hz and around 4500Hz. I wholeheartedly agree, and would find it a completely useful function.
    Also, another suggestion I have, and this is minor but it would be a gigantic freaking help.

Please please PLEASE can you have to option to enable or disable saving and loading notifications. For instance "I want to save file1. *presses save* Are you sure you want to overwrite file1? *presses yes*." All done.

I want this option available because I just accidentally saved over a track that I worked for ****ing ever on, and I just lost all of it. I know this is mostly my fault for not seeing what I clicked on in the first place, a warning reminding me would be a lot of help... Like I said I am furious with myself that I saved over that and I know I cant get that back and I am PISSED but yeah... I know not everyone wants that though, so the option to disable/enable freely would satisfy both crowds. Im sorry... im retarded. I need something like that.
    It'd be cool if intua offered to share their 'noise i.o' audio-sharing-secret with other audio app devs so that whatever programs support internal recording (rec'n'play, all the rjdj's, various 'memo' recorders like poddio or retro recorder, and perhaps others I don't yet know about) could share with each other or at least share with Beatmaker, in which one could assemble stuff after recording/creating it...
    I have one more suggestion please consider how FX are done.
    Example We have 2 fx racks ,#1 I use for the Drums and #2 I use for samples.
    I want to make a pattern and add a lowpass filter but I don't want to change my effects for rack #1 or #2
    so either I'm stuck or have to do it seperate in another save and throw everything in the computer to sequence it.
    Another example ,I have a slight reverb on my drums and nothing else I have 2 more fx modules empty that I can't use for somthing else because it would effect my drums on slot 1.
    My suggestion is to have Fx assignable to patterns!!!
    1rst pattern can be my Kick drum and I assign reverb or a slight delay and bass boost (EQ).
    2nd pattern Snare and I assign a slight delay and EQ
    3rd Pattern Hats with diffrent EQ
    4th Bassline with it's own fx
    5th Sample or my own playing with eq and BitCrusher for a slight lowfi sound
    6th same sample with a lowpass filter ect.ect!
    Just a suggestion, You have a great program and all of these suggestions have workarounds for those of us with computers
    I would just like these things to be included.
    If it hasn't been suggested yet I recommend an undue last action or sequence. so if you are layering on patterns you can delete the last one you just made without deleting the whole track and starting over.

Also a simple 2, 4, 8, 16 to the beat instant placement of notes like what you can do in FL Studio would be nice.