Beta testing BM3

Just throwing out some thoughts here... I think the number and type of bugs that got released into production with the 3.0.5 update is unfortunate. Obviously I know nothing of the hows and the whys in this case but I know that this can erode confidence in a product if it continues to happen.

The community here are passionate about what Intua are creating for musicians and want it to succeed. Is there a way to get more people involved in beta testing the product before release to prod? It might not take much. Maybe a louder call out for beta testers, a starting script of what key functions to test, and a way to gather standardized feedback such as a templated google form or a shared Trello board or something. Maybe incentivize it a bit, report a number of verified bugs and get a sound pack or something?

I’m not a beta tester for BM3 (happy to get involved though, I have enjoyed testing a couple of other apps) so maybe beta testing BM3 is already as organized as it can be? Like I say, just throwing out thoughts. I think BM3 has huge potential and I would like to see it succeed.

Props to 5pinlink and the others for the support on this board.

Comments

• edited November 2017

(Non of this is directed at you Gus, just general comments ;) )

I am not sure more testers is a good thing, in fact more testers generally only works when it is a full public beta, something that can't easily be done with IOS as far as i am aware.

I have seen some people commenting about betas and even posting beta videos and personally, and this is just my opinion, i think that is disrespectful to the developers at Intua, mentioning features that could be removed during testing is completely wrong, but controlling this is not that easy either.

As for the bugs in the 3.0.5 release, lets play fair here, it was a huge f***ing release, and no i wont excuse my language, I moan at Intua with the best of them (Actually i am the best of them, i challenge anybody to moan more than i have haha) but lets give them a break here, we want lots of new features then we have to deal with the bugs, that is the nature of software, and lets be perfectly clear here, they crush bugs at an insane pace normally and the most you will wait for a show stopper is going to be a month, lets go and bitch at Steinberg/Korg/Wave Machine labs about their monthly releases.....oh wait hahahahaha.

As for the feature issues like the arrows vs white lines, yes they made a huge f*** up on that one, but who's to say that beta testers didn't tell them that it was a mess ? Once out in the wild the general user base can tell them and that is a huge huge difference, some times when we create we cant see the woods for the trees, how many times have we all created the best song ever, woke up in the morning to hear a massive pile of dogs**t haha.

Posting whatever bugs you can here in the forum is brilliant and the bugs we all find help so much you wouldn't believe, that is the best all of us can do for now.

Again just my own personal opinion.

• edited November 2017
    For sure, good points about the speed of development happening here so major respect to the Intua team. They've created something really special. I was just thinking there might be a way for the community here to help catch bugs before they sneak in to prod rather than the public rigmarole that happens after release. It takes a bit of coordination though and, like you say, it might mean slowing down new features and it could be more hassle than it's worth. Especially if feature disclosure rules are not being respected.

Anyway, it's got nothing to do with me as I'm not involved in the business and am no doubt ignorant of the challenges so I'm probably overstepping the mark here. Bottom line is I'm rooting for BM3 though. It really is a killer app.
  • edited November 2017
    Tbf Beatmaker got released right before and after the release of IOS 11 and they were cool enough to accommodate some lower end devices like Air and Mini 2. Then the iPad Pros have their issues too but Intua are addressing all of those too. So they've got people using imperfect devices and OS systems but they keep releasing timely updates with feature add ons and they're being cool enough to keep us in the know about what's going on behind the scenes too. Besides the app does work if you're willing to forgive some problems like midi and now audio import. I'm a lot happier with the pattern editor in 3.05.