Slice Mode distributes slices to note keys automagically!

I didn’t know this at all.  Maybe others don’t either.  I’ll consider this a valuable feature/tip. It blew my mind.

1. Create slices as many times as you wish.

2. Each slice number starting with 1 corresponds to KEYS on the same pad from c3 up but not in sequential order.  Meaning you could play a c3 but then an A3. If no notes are produced between that, Sampler view will only play the first two two slices.  The more notes you hit in between those.  The more slices get played and the order changes. C3 will always be slice 1 it seems. Haven’t found a way to change this. 

3. This means If you don’t want to, you don’t have to distribute to multiple pads unless you prefer to or are building a pack. 

4.With higher polyphony set, or legato mode, or offset turned on  you can get some interesting sounds/rhythms as well.

5.  try repeats or macro mapping the tune knob as well as the loop modes.  Massive powerful sample manipulation.

Thought this was a bug at first til I started creating more slices.  Then I thought maybe it was a secret feature or something.  Is this specified in the manual somewhere because I haven’t checked? Anyways, awesomeness and didn’t know this was implemented. Now I just really wish I had a focus action to bounce in and out of slice mode. Lol. 

Who needs/wants a video of this?  Or am I the only one that didn’t know about this?

Tagged:

Comments

•  Come to think of it this is super buggy.  This is a bug that is really cool or a feature that isn’t finished yet. I’m going to have to do a video on this one. It doesn’t work all the time in the way I expected.
  • Slices shouldn't change keys, that isnt right.
  • 5pinlink said:
    Slices shouldn't change keys, that isnt right.
    This is kind of a weird thing I found. It may be a bug, but it acts like an unfinished feature. 

1.  Drop a sample on a pad
    2.  enter keys mode. 
    3.  Record a pattern c3 or above
    4.  Enter sampler view tap slice mode
    5.  There will be one slice. Start making slices
    6.  Each slice is triggered per key you pressed. 
    7.  Nothing works before C3
  • edited December 2017
    mefisme said:
    5pinlink said:
    Slices shouldn't change keys, that isnt right.
    This is kind of a weird thing I found. It may be a bug, but it acts like an unfinished feature. 

1.  Drop a sample on a pad
    2.  enter keys mode. 
    3.  Record a pattern c3 or above
    4.  Enter sampler view tap slice mode
    5.  There will be one slice. Start making slices
    6.  Each slice is triggered per key you pressed. 
    7.  Nothing works before C3
    I’d like to elaborate on this with a video maybe later when I get home.  It’s kinda like if slice to pads/slice to new layers/slice to existing layers didn’t exist.  Instead of distributing the slices to the mappings, it distributes them to the recorded keys that were pressed in wonky ways.  

this is what doesn’t work right or isn’t understood til you start doing this:

1.  it won’t trigger a slice if you try recording any note below C3 in a pattern while in keys mode. 

2.  It doesn’t trigger the slices properly or at all if you record the pattern with slice mode on first. 

3.  The first slice will never play as you make more slices until you make an additional slice more than the keys that were pressed. 

3.  Let’s say I recorded 4 notes (C#3, D3, D#3, E3) notice how I skipped C3
    If I have one slice it triggers the sounds for all keys. 
    If I have 2 slices it only triggers the second slice for all keys
    if I have 3 slices, it begins to trigger slice 2 for C#3 and 3 for all other pad notes
    if I have 4 slices, it begins to trigger slice 2 for C#3, 3 for D3, and 4 for the other two pad notes. 
    If I have 5 slices, it triggers the slices 2, 3, 4, 5 for each respective note and functions properly.

Slice 1 will not play unless I record a single C3. And if I record some other key it starts bouncing around the slices unless I create more slices. 

Now here’s the thing, i actually like what it’s doing because I can independently trigger slices polyphonically on a single pad, single layer but it’s most definitely buggy and in its current state really messed up. I’d like to see it fixed, but I equally don’t want to lose the functionality. Lol. 

Video?

• I'm going to create a howto video for this in a separate thread under tips/tricks. Its too neat even if it is a potential bug or whatever it is. Coming soon!

• This is the way I like to slice my samples and it's more fun to play them this way especially using the offset mode.
    It also makes it easier to tune all the slices at once since there is currently no way to quickly apply changes to multiple pads.

One thing that is missing is 'create pattern' for the selected pad.
    The create pattern option is only available when slicing to pads, keys or layers etc...

• @samu said:
    This is the way I like to slice my samples and it's more fun to play them this way especially using the offset mode.
    It also makes it easier to tune all the slices at once since there is currently no way to quickly apply changes to multiple pads.

The create pattern option is only available when slicing to pads, keys or layers etc...

Yeah individual polyphony per slice too. Which is super fun. Like I've said though, There's some wonkiness and I still don't have confirmation this is a bug, unintended feature, or otherwise.

• @mefisme said:

Yeah individual polyphony per slice too. Which is super fun. Like I've said though, There's some wonkiness and I still don't have confirmation this is a bug, unintended feature, or otherwise.

I do feel it's intended behaviour regarding the 'last slice' being triggered by the keys after the last slice.
    (alternate option would be that nothing is triggered if there is no slice assigned to the key?).

Nothing plays before C3 since the first slice is assigned to C3 and no slices are assigned to the previous keys.
    (Alternate option here could be that slice-assignement starts at the selected key for the pad?).

There's still plenty of 'wonky things' in BM3 and of all the things that have already been reported many still remain to be fixed but I know they will be fixed in due time :)

• edited December 2017

@samu said:

I know this is not ideal but you could resample to another pad via the record button on sampler view, choose internal, and select wherever the pad is located. Then just record the newly recorded sample/par into a pattern of your choosing.

Also, if you have a midi controller and record automations on it will capture that as well. Not sure if this helps. I do it all the time for loops.

• @mefisme said:

@samu said:

I know this is not ideal but you could resample to another pad via the record button on sampler view, choose internal, and select wherever the pad is located. Then just record the newly recorded sample/par into a pattern of your choosing.

Also, if you have a midi controller and record automations on it will capture that as well. Not sure if this helps. I do it all the time for loops.

Yepp, I know :)
    The idea here is to do 'rex-style' time-stretching by having the sequencer trigger the slices and still be able to automate the pitch for all slices or pass them thru the same filter etc.
    (When proper automation of 'sample offset' comes it will be a blast to use the Step-Modulator to re-arrange the loop. This will make it possible to rex-style loop playback but control the pitch using the keyboard, ie. play the sliced and 're-arranged' sample as a regular sample).

• @samu said:

@mefisme said:

@samu said:

Yepp, I know :)
    The idea here is to do 'rex-style' time-stretching by having the sequencer trigger the slices and still be able to automate the pitch for all slices or pass them thru the same filter etc.
    (When proper automation of 'sample offset' comes it will be a blast to use the Step-Modulator to re-arrange the loop. This will make it possible to rex-style loop playback but control the pitch using the keyboard, ie. play the sliced and 're-arranged' sample as a regular sample).

I still don't know where the step modulator is. Lol. Embarrassing....

• @mefisme said:

No need to feel embarrassed, BM3 is a 'deep' app...
    You can double tap on any controller (For example cutoff, choose modulate, then step-modulator and new step modulator). After that you can go to the modulations tab in the pad editor and select the step-modulator and edit it.

I have a soft spot for chip-tuney sounds so for me I assign the step-modulator to 'tune' for creating chip-style arpeggios :)

• @samu said:

@mefisme said:

No need to feel embarrassed, BM3 is a 'deep' app...
    You can double tap on any controller (For example cutoff, choose modulate, then step-modulator and new step modulator). After that you can go to the modulations tab in the pad editor and select the step-modulator and edit it.

I have a soft spot for chip-tuney sounds so for me I assign the step-modulator to 'tune' for creating chip-style arpeggios :)

Wow. I didn't realize the LFO and step modulator even still existed. Since I like creating rhythmic samples and then adding drums over it or performing with a synth/bass plus vocals this is probably going to come in handy. Can't wait to touch with this. Thanks dude!

• @mefisme said:

Wow. I didn't realize the LFO and step modulator even still existed. Since I like creating rhythmic samples and then adding drums over it or performing with a synth/bass plus vocals this is probably going to come in handy. Can't wait to touch with this. Thanks dude!

If you like 'wobbly stuff', the modulators can modulate each other as well.
    (So you could have a step-modulator controlling the rate of the lfo that in turn is controlling the cutoff).

Taking modulations to the extreme it's possible create a one-finger bass-line that is transposed by the keyboard by using one single-cycle wave-form. It will take some creative modulation mapping but it's perfectly doable :)