To Stream or Not To Stream?’

2»

Comments

• @panoramica said:

@mefisme said:

@panoramica said:

@mefisme said:
    Of course RAM is used with loaded samples. What's your idle state with everything loaded and nothing playing?

2-10% CPU, 774.64MB RAM - so the RAM usage is the same regardless of whether samples are actually being played, which makes sense.

So what's your CPU level when the play head is running?

56%-71%

Is that with sounds playing!?

• @mefisme said:

@panoramica said:

@mefisme said:

@panoramica said:

@mefisme said:
    Of course RAM is used with loaded samples. What's your idle state with everything loaded and nothing playing?

2-10% CPU, 774.64MB RAM - so the RAM usage is the same regardless of whether samples are actually being played, which makes sense.

56%-71%

Yes. But I haven't yet tested in depth how many triggered samples are actually playing. There's muting going but I have to further investigate what effect that is having.

• @panoramica said:

@mefisme said:

@panoramica said:

@mefisme said:

@panoramica said:

@mefisme said:

56%-71%

Yes. But I haven't yet tested in depth how many triggered samples are actually playing. There's muting going but I have to further investigate what effect that is having.

Yeah definitely let me know. That’s just too high imo.

• DFD vs RAM
    I stick by my original statement, if you have enough RAM always use it.
    Look at it this way, if DFD was 'Good enough' why would even have loading in to RAM ;)

@panoramica you can use audio clips directly in scenes, just create an audio track and drag it to an empty cell ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    DFD vs RAM
    Look at it this way, if DFD was 'Good enough' why would even have loading in to RAM ;)

@panoramica you can use audio clips directly in scenes, just create an audio track and drag it to an empty cell ;)

I still don't get why literally everything I record to a pad has disk streaming on. This is most definitely why I use an empty.wav file to make sure all sounds stay that way in whichever pads I choose.

• @5pinlink said:
    DFD vs RAM

Sorry, I’m having difficulty with seeing how to drag from the mixer to the sequencer. I can use the plus sign at the bottom of the sequencer though - is that what you mean?

• edited December 2017

@mefisme said:

@panoramica said:

@mefisme said:

@StudioES said:
    For long samples & beat-matched loops, I put them in Audio Tracks & don't bother with MIDI triggering.

+1 to this @panoramica

Thanks for the tips. I'll try streaming on for the loops.

Audio tracks aren't an option because, unless I'm mistaken, they're only usable in a linear song structure. I'm doing live mashups, so there is no 'song'.

I'm always recording on custom audio tracks in song view in the background so I can set the loop there or drag the audio pattern to it's own scene. Is this what you mean? Because Audio tracks have patterns.

I just tried this thanks - but I can’t see how to take the recorded audio loop into the full sample editor (with the ADSR controls), or to play the sample using the keyboard. Is there a way to do this?

• edited December 2017

Also regarding using audio clips - it looks like I only get 1 audio clip per scene. That makes it hard to manage a song in this way, because I can’t jump between different parts of a song by loading a different pattern:

• edited December 2017

@panoramica said:
    Also regarding using audio clips - it looks like I only get 1 audio clip per scene. That makes it hard to manage a song in this way, because I can’t jump between different parts of a song by loading a different pattern:

So are you pattern juggling in the track helper view? I don't think the audio functions this way. I haven't tested. Might want to throw that up as a feature request and see what happens. There are minimal sample controls for audio samples on audio tracks. So no ADSR, tune, sat, etc...That is reserved for pads. You would want to record arm and set those settings before recording onto the audio tracks so that it captures any automations.

• edited December 2017

@StudioES said:
    @mefisme In a blank Session, when loading a sample, the size that switches it to DISK STREAMING: ON is ~500KB on my iPad Mini 2, which has 1GB RAM. Amount of data after initial attack transient, plus looped samples may change the ON/OFF threshold, but ~500KB seems to be the average, even in a Session with other samples.

You pretty much did all the tests I hadn't started yet. Thank you for this. I will test confirmation on looped sample versus non-looped. I'm using a custom saw wave.wav that is looped to make the instrument. Could be why disk streaming is turning on. The file is definitely less than 500kb.

I noticed that BM3 will use slightly less RAM when dragging the sample to a Pad, versus loading it from the Sample Edit page! 148KB vs 164KB. (DISK STREAMING: ON)

Multiple samples in layers of a pad uses less as well versus multiple pads. This is because an empty pad (if you have a sample and delete the layer, this is how you get an empty pad) uses roughly 20-30kb in my findings.

Also clearing/deleting a pad does not purge/remove all of it from memory. So be watchful of this. I'm not sure why. I haven't tested saving and resaving to see the memory results. Not sure if this is iOS specific.

Additonal Edit
    If a sample is lower than 72kb, it is useable by beatmaker 3 but will always load 72kb into ram even though a pad takes roughly 20-25kb. So a 6kb file still loads as roughly 72kb per pad. Unless we are getting false readings across the entire CPU/MEM meter or information may change after a session save. I just haven’t tested.