please add a tuning fork

having great fun making single cycle sampler instruments, could use a tuning fork to help with properly tuning the oscillators

Comments

• No need for all that, just use this and calculate based on number of samples ;)

http://www.bertkoor.nl/MusicCalc.html

• i disagree, tuning by ear is fast and accurate

• You cant get any more accurate than sample accurate.
    But i cant see a tuning fork being added any time soon when you could just trigger the note you want to tune to on a different pad ?

• A 'tuning fork' could be useful when tuning recorded samples as well.
    (Tuning a 'whistle' or vocal ooohs and aaahs as an example)

This could be a simple 'tuning oscillator' with on/off, pitch/note & volume settings that plays a sine-wave?
    (Default pitch for the tuner could be the 'pad key' or set 'root key' in the mapping tab).

• edited January 2018

Whats wrong with triggering a note on a synth like everybody has done since the dawn of time ?

At some point feature requests just become nonsense, and sorry if this is going to annoy everybody and bring about the end of the world and beat up your cat etc, this request is nonsense.

Development time is finite !!

• Are we talking about tune matching real instruments to an oscillator? Like a guitar or something? Or a real vocal? I'm extremely confused.

• edited January 2018

No the OP was specifically for single cycles, which i showed how to do sample accurate (the most accurate) tuning, that didnt interest him, but in no way is a tuning fork needed instead of just loading a sinewave on a synth and playing it, its the exact same thing !!

New load mode in browser 'Single cycle' that auto maps, simple elegant request, tuning fork, sorry but no, there is a reason no sampler or DAW ever implemented a tuning fork !!

Like i said, finite development time, too many nonsense requests that can be done just as easily right now.

• Way to trash the dude. Seems like your are the maker of beatmaker 3 and have ultimate say. Everyone has a dream and want to be a part of this app. And we want it to be the best for them and for everyone else. Put Tuning fork on the list and if it gets there it gets there. It can’t hurt to have an extra tool at your disposal. Not everyone does it your way and not everyone has internet to jump on a website every time they want to tune something.

• edited January 2018

The list is for users, the developers don't read it, this is made very very clear in very big letters at the top of the list, also i never said i wouldn't add it to the list, and just as anybody is allowed to post a feature request, i am allowed to point out the ways it can already be done and how silly a request it is, that is the nature of a public forum.

Way to make a nonsense post yourself by the way ;)
    I have never ever said anywhere that i have anything to do with feature requests in BM3 and absolutely nothing at all to do with its development, you may want to get over yourself on that.

Just to reiterate, a tuning fork is a single tuned wave, this can already be done right now in BM3, it is a request that turned in to a nonsense request after ignoring the advice that it can already be done.

As for not being online to use the calculator, this really isnt rocket science here....
    Samplerate/Number of samples
    The ipad has a calculator !!!

• edited January 2018

Yes it would be very nice. Or someone should just make a tuner AU. I have at times just played the sound through ipads speaker to a tuner on iphone and tuned using it.

@mefisme said:
    Are we talking about tune matching real instruments to an oscillator? Like a guitar or something? Or a real vocal? I'm extremely confused.

I think he means like if he takes some random sample(or single wave sample) and doesent know what the pitch of it is. Then wants to play it with keys. If the original sample in out of tune, everything you play with keys is out of tune, or even if it would be in key, but he doesent know what note it is, you couldnt use scale modes with it without tuning it to the root note of the scale. Tuner should be really easy to implement and could be loaded for example to where the samples filter is, and since you only need to tune it once in the beginning, you could take of the tuner and use the filter instead if you wanted to.

• He didnt ask for a tuner, that has been requested multiple times and yes is valuable, he asked for a tuning fork which is a single tuned wave and can be done just by adding a new layer with a tuned wave.

Lets not pretend now that he wanted a tuner when his reply was "Tuning by ear is fast and accurate" that is not using a tuner but using a tuned wave to tune against, already possible, nonsense request.

• 5pinlink, do you represent intua?

• I was confused specifically by the reply @5pinlink. I've never used a tuning fork so thank you for clarifying the difference.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    5pinlink, do you represent intua?

Not in the slightest, if i did i wouldn't point out how nonsense your request is, I would say "Interesting idea" then let the thread die because it is a nonsense idea.
    Why ?
    Did i say this will never be implemented because i said so ?
    No
    Did i ever mention Intua ?
    No
    Oh wait, are you suggesting that i shouldn't explain to you how to do this, or show you a sample accurate way to do it, or indeed express my opinion after you implied that tuning by ear was more accurate than sample accurate (absolute nonsense) ?
    If so, get used to using a public forum, others have opinions and some of us state them without sugar coating.

I told you how to do it, just use a tuned wave, why, because a tuning fork would be a button that triggered a.......wait for it......wait....tuned wave, so what you are saying is this...
    "Hey i am too lazy to load a synth or tuned waveform to either a layer or pad and trigger it, put it on its own button" unless i completely misinterpreted your request and what you actually want is an Intua branded tuning fork ?

• A built in sub osc synth built into the sampler really would go along way with tuning and phattening out sounds. Powerful feature of the Korg Gadget sampler. Unconventional but surprisingly helpful....

• @5pinlink said: New load mode in browser 'Single cycle' that auto maps

+10 for this idea!! :D :D

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    A built in sub osc synth built into the sampler really would go along way with tuning and phattening out sounds. Powerful feature of the Korg Gadget sampler. Unconventional but surprisingly helpful....

I think there is a feature request somewhere for adding a layer as a normal oscillator with standard shapes, personally i just add a single cycle to a new layer, but i can see how some would prefer pure synthesis to avoid the aliasing you get with single cycle.

• @5pinlink said:
    He didnt ask for a tuner, that has been requested multiple times and yes is valuable, he asked for a tuning fork which is a single tuned wave and can be done just by adding a new layer with a tuned wave.

Lets not pretend now that he wanted a tuner when his reply was "Tuning by ear is fast and accurate" that is not using a tuner but using a tuned wave to tune against, already possible, nonsense request.

I have heard people sqying tuning fork when meaning a tuner, ao i interpreted it like that because tuning fork itselr makes no sense and you could just use a single cycle sine wave that is tuned to C(and pitched that what note you want) and put it to other pad and make a trigger link between them and match the tuning. So basically a tuning fork already exists, just needs a small workaround. To make things easier, you could save a bank preset with single cycle sines with different notes and just link the note you want to tune to.

• @Tomes said:

@5pinlink said:
    He didnt ask for a tuner, that has been requested multiple times and yes is valuable, he asked for a tuning fork which is a single tuned wave and can be done just by adding a new layer with a tuned wave.

I have heard people sqying tuning fork when meaning a tuner, ao i interpreted it like that because tuning fork itselr makes no sense and you could just use a single cycle sine wave that is tuned to C(and pitched that what note you want) and put it to other pad and make a trigger link between them and match the tuning. So basically a tuning fork already exists, just needs a small workaround. To make things easier, you could save a bank preset with single cycle sines with different notes and just link the note you want to tune to.

Exactly lol