Midi out without sample ?

edited January 2018 in General

This is my first message so hello everyone and congrats to the dev team for this awesome app :)

Sorry if this has been already discusses, i quickly searched and found nothing about this.

My ipad is plugged to a "iconnect midi 4+" interface so i use it to control my sound modules.
Do i miss something or is it impossible to specify a midi out port and channel on a empty pad ?

Making BM3 playing an empty sound for each midi note sent to external synths sounds like a waste of resource.
Just an idea : i think that could fit the UI if with a modification in "plugin" tab. Renaming "plugin" to "synth" and adding an option for "external synth" there could work. My 0.02€ ;)

Xavier

Comments

• edited January 2018

I may have written too quickly my first message....

Seems like it's possible at the bank level.
    But not at the pad level.

That works at the bank level.
    But all pads remain white and then it's impossible to have more than 1 external synth linked to 1 bank.

Do i miss something ?

• edited January 2018

You need to use the sample currently for MIDI output ;)

• Thanks a lot for the answers. Both work.
    External_Synths bank is closer to what i wanted and made me understand better how midi works.

Now i have to understand why my keyboard works only if i set "Route all midi to selected pad (OMNI)" to ON in the settings.
    When Off, what ever midi input port i select (bank or pad), it does not work.
    But i may have to read the midi routing doc :)

• @xavier said:
    Thanks a lot for the answers. Both work.
    External_Synths bank is closer to what i wanted and made me understand better how midi works.

Now i have to understand why my keyboard works only if i set "Route all midi to selected pad (OMNI)" to ON in the settings.
    When Off, what ever midi input port i select (bank or pad), it does not work.
    But i may have to read the midi routing doc :)

What controller do you have exactly?

• edited January 2018

OK I have it working :smile:

My main controllers are a Novation 49SL compact and a Arturia Beatstep.

My config is bit complicated, my ipad has a Hub plugged in its USB port, one of the USB is my iconfigmidi4+ with 10 ports configured.

Here is what i did.
    For the bank :
    . input port : my keyboard. ** multi select would be great !**
    . input midi channel : ALL
    . input mode : Mode multi channel (i missed this point)
    . Ouput : not used. i override it on each pad.

For each pad :
    . input port and channel : bank port and channel
    . Ouput port and midi channel : the synth i want control.

On my keyboard : the midi channel i select control the synth specified in the pad whose number is the midi channel.

I never really used my Beatstep but with its 16 pads and 16 encoders for the macro, it works very well with BM3.

Thanks everyone.

Xavier