Time for some big stuff?

edited January 2018 in Feature Requests

So it's been out a while now. A lot of hard work from intua with refinement and implementing new stuff like midi AU. Great job @mathieugarcia and Co!

Overall it's pretty solid and useable now. Would LOVE to see some of the more exotic stuff previously confirmed for addition begin to creep in now... As a little reward for those of us that have struggled through the early evolution with this stuff at the back of our minds as justification for the pain ;)

Global macros.
Transient slice.
Arpeggiator.
Automation/modulation of sample start point and loop window.
Full fx options per layer.
Open resampling.
Fx chains.

Pleeeeeease :) Would take an already great app over the edge in to a self-contained creative beast ;)

Comments

• Its that age old thing though, one mans big is another mans wasted effort.
    I would like some of your list soonish though to be fair a lot of the updates have been huge for me personally.

• I would love to add to this list of exotic feature:

-Taking advantage of 2/3 fingers tap as action modifiers; an overall deeper integration with touchscreen for faster workflow and less menu diving.
    -The ability to condense samples from separate pads onto a single one with the chance to select if in one only layer or different ones and also the reverse action to explode pad’s sample/layers onto separate pads.
    -A deeper midi editing menu(quantize note end, quantize strength, transpose, humanize, set note length/velocity)
    -Editable automation beziers curves

• @5pinlink said:
    Its that age old thing though, one mans big is another mans wasted effort.
    I would like some of your list soonish though to be fair a lot of the updates have been huge for me personally.

OK then...'more' big stuff is maybe more accurate ;) has been mostly practical/bug/ui stuff so far. Not all, but definitely mostly. Some of the previously road mapped more 'creative' stuff would be very welcome :) Not saying all at once by any means, but just saying haven't seen any of this kind of stuff that was mentioned yet at all and it's been a while now ;) Just a friendly little nudge ;) I know @mathieugarcia has plenty to getting on with tho and what will be will be. Guess those early discussions just left me hungry for these things to sneak in :)

• edited January 2018

They did mention q1 for Iphone though (wish they hadnt lol) so i suspect a lot more UI tweaks in the next couple updates too.

• @5pinlink said:
    They did mention q1 for Iphone though (wish they hadnt lol) so i suspect a lot more UI tweaks in the next couple updates too.

Yeah iPhone release pressure must be weighing down on them a fair bit :(

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2018

My problem with the whole iPhone version is that, despite the huge drain on development, I can't believe there are many serious musicians waiting to make music on iPhone. What next, a ported version for Nintendo Switch and LABO?

If you're a serious iOS musician, you've got an iPad, right?!

I do understand that iOS universal opens up further revenue for the more casual users and kids who want to jam beats exclusively on their giant phones... but I also feel this is a movement away from the serious -grown-up- technically-advanced platform BM3 is.

If it were up to me, I'd keep BM3 iPad only, and pour all development time into making it the very best damn DAW in the iOS market.

• @tk32 said:
    My problem with the whole iPhone version is that, despite the huge drain on development, I can't believe there are many serious musicians waiting to make music on iPhone. What next, a ported version for Nintendo Switch and LABO?

If you're a serious iOS musician, you've got an iPad, right?!

I do understand that iOS universal opens up further revenue for the more casual users and kids who want to jam beats exclusively on their giant phones... but I also feel this is a movement away from the serious -grown-up- technically-advanced platform BM3 is.

If it were up to me, I'd keep BM3 iPad only, and pour all development time into making it the very best damn DAW in the iOS market.

Thats my gut feeling too but at same time it'll be pretty cool to be able to mess with building banks/rozetta setups/sound design on my phone sometimes and then swing em straight over to ipad. And field recording using phone straight in to BM3 sample banks then throw those across in to my banks library on ipad. Can see some pretty cool benefits of having an iPhone version... Feels like a big freebie/add-on to me so I'm not too against it ;) Just a shame if its impacting on general app dev resources. Sure it'll all balance out in the end :)

• edited January 2018

@heyez - (check out my updated image - I replaced it just after you quoted me ;))

• edited January 2018

@Heyez
    Composing on iPad & iPhone you say... pretty cool... sure... but where will all those samples and files live? in the cloud? It quickly stops being pretty cool if I am constantly having to sync samples and files across 2 devices when away from home - or if I have a version control meltdown and overwrite my latest song with an older version.

It would be better (and much easier) to release an iPhone companion app that allows you to map and control macros and parameters on the iPad like a midi controller. ... Oh wait... you can do that already!!

• @tk32 said:
    @heyez - (check out my updated image - I replaced it just after you quoted me ;))

Haha :) TBH if you threw a bunch of volca knobs on there I'd be probably down for one of those! Would probably end up in the 'why did I buy this? I never ever use it?' pile tho ;)

• @tk32 said:
    @Heyez
    Composing on iPad & iPhone you say... pretty cool... sure... but where will all those samples and files live? in the cloud? It quickly stops being pretty cool if I am constantly having to sync samples and files across 2 devices when away from home - or if I have a version control meltdown and overwrite my latest song with an older version.

It would be better (and much easier) to release an iPhone companion app that allows you to map and control macros and parameters on the iPad like a midi controller. ... Oh wait... you can do that already!!

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever compose on a phone using bm3. Maybe the odd hook or beat/loop just for memory. But building banks and zipping em over to ipad seems painless/good option. Especially for field recording. No one really likes to whip out an iPad in a public space other than coffee shops/journeys ;)

• edited January 2018

If you fancy a laugh, just look at Korg Gadget on the iphone

Perhaps I have abnormally fat fingers - but that would not be fun to use

• @tk32 said:

Yeah, it is what it is. Maybe useful, maybe not. Free super deep app for my phone which integrates 100% with my main iPad daw so I'm down for it and interested to see if I'll use it much/at all ;) But yeah, not sure how much interference iPhone port has with the stuff mentioned in OP but either way would love to see some of these features appearing :)

• @Heyez said:

@tk32 said:

Yeah, it is what it is. Maybe useful, maybe not. Free super deep app for my phone which integrates 100% with my main iPad daw so I'm down for it and interested to see if I'll use it much/at all ;) But yeah, not sure how much interference iPhone port has with the stuff mentioned in OP but either way would love to see some of these features appearing :)

Edit - hopefully intua have made BM3 phone version way less teeny tiny controls than Korg have. That looks like a nightmare! I'll mostly just be sampling to pads and building banks tho so shouldnt be too bad hopefully...

• You just reminded me I have Gadget on my phone. Kind of an indicator how much I love it at that size.

• Arp, transient slice, racks/fx chains, less menu diving. In agreement with a lot already mentioned.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Definitely focus on getting the feature set complete on iPad first.

• Rozeta has an AU midi arp. Also iphone version requires only UI redesign. Iphone and ipad will run same code behind the scenes, so its not that much work coding it, just with UI design and coming up with an UI that fits the small screen of phones.

Personally im eagerly waiting for iphone version. Not that i would do much music with my phone, but currently there isnt anything that i would be happy using(ok well the brambos apps as standalone and exporting wav). It would be nice to do some sound design, sampling etc on the go sometimes

• @Tomes said:
    so its not that much work coding it.

Love when people who have never seen the code make assumptions like that haha.

It is possible you are right, but dont assume it is not much work unless you know the code itself or the developer tells you it is not much work ;)

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:

@Tomes said:
    so its not that much work coding it.

Love when people who have never seen the code make assumptions like that haha.

It is possible you are right, but dont assume it is not much work unless you know the code itself or the developer tells you it is not much work ;)

I meant as in that much compared to making the whole thing from the beginning. Most of the code is already there, but the UI needs to be done(which ofc requires some code) and im sure its a lot more work to design the UI in a way that works for small screens than to actually write the code for the new UI.

• or the developer tells you it is not much work

Developers are infamous for under estimating things, so this isn’t reliable either 😜

• @panoramica said:

or the developer tells you it is not much work

Developers are infamous for under estimating things, so this isn’t reliable either 😜

Actually there is a tier system here pretty much.
    These are the general developer comments.
    1 "Adding this to the list" = "We will get to this as soon as we get chance"
    2 "Investigating this" = (A) Reply within 24 hrs "Fixed" (B) No reply within 24 hrs "This is a complete xxxx" hahaha