How to work with samples that have pre-attack sound

Hiya!
Sorry if this is a solved problem, but it’s been bugging me all the way from Live and now in BM3.
I record myself playing guitar and singing mostly, and when I do a simple loop treatment on the samples, I end up cutting off important stuff like vocal breath sounds, part of guitar attack and things like that.

The workflow I have now is to try to start my samples one beat early, but it’s tedious to arrange and doesn’t really work that great with patterns and scenes in general, managing that extra beat for loops for instance.

Anyone have any hints on how to best work with things like that? I’m using BM3 a lot like a tape recorder sketch pad, so I’m using it quite a bit like a DAW, but trying to make use of patterns and scenes to try ideas.

Curious if there’s anything like the snap marker in Reaper, it lets you put a marker on your clip for where you want it to snap to beats, which worked great for having some audio pre and post the main part of the clip.

Hope it made some sense, i’d be grateful for any tips!

Comments

• You could start recording a whole bar in advance, which should make snapping to the grid easier to deal with, as you’d just place the clip one bar early? A snap marker does sound like it would be a good addition to BM3!

• Markers and regions help with this a lot too, but nothing helps as much as editing direct on the timeline and slip editing, sadly we have non.

• Thanks guys! Sounds like there's no magic trick then...

@ronji said:
    You could start recording a whole bar in advance, which should make snapping to the grid easier to deal with, as you’d just place the clip one bar early?

My main problem here was that I that I couldn't shape the fade-in very good, since to my understanding the ADSR is the one to make use of. Essentially, I couldn't figure out how to do a quick fade in a few beats in. Putting an envelope at pattern level seemed like it might work though, so I might need to retry using whole bars only.

• @holzon said:
    Thanks guys! Sounds like there's no magic trick then...

@ronji said:
    You could start recording a whole bar in advance, which should make snapping to the grid easier to deal with, as you’d just place the clip one bar early?

My main problem here was that I that I couldn't shape the fade-in very good, since to my understanding the ADSR is the one to make use of. Essentially, I couldn't figure out how to do a quick fade in a few beats in. Putting an envelope at pattern level seemed like it might work though, so I might need to retry using whole bars only.

Have you tried using Loopy? Check it out on YouTube it might be the kind of thing you're after.