808 tuning

2»

Comments

• @5pinlink said:
    FYI i have a perfect 808 kick output from spice, if needs be ill tune it to C and upload it ;)

Yes plz!

• until @jago comes back for their second post =)

Thanks for all the replies guys . What I meant was the 808'sub bass that goes with the kick. I have no clue how totune it.

• edited February 2018

Find out what key it is in in its natural state by using a tuner (maybe a guitar amp app or such, or send me the sample and i will work outs its key) then map it to the same key in the sample mapper under the mapping tab of the sampler. (You can map it other ways, but this is the quickest and best solution)
    Once you have done this, when you play a C it will be in C etc etc.

To get it to sit with the kick you could see the various and sundry posts above, however personally i just put it in and tweak until it sits for my ears, probably out of tune but my ears are crap lol.

• edited February 2018

Who cares if it’s slightly out of tune. It’s music. No rules. If it sounds cool. It’s all good. :). I should rephrase. You can care, but remember to bend the rules.

• I'm stealthing this one, not making a thread or such, will do a bank of them or something in the future.
    Spice rendered perfect 808 kick in C
    Dropbox

• https://soundbridge.io/tuning-drums-percussion
    Interesting 5 minute read, they tuned the drums, i no longer liked the drums hahaha
    Seemed to have lost all their balls to me.

• edited March 2018

@5pinlink said:
    https://soundbridge.io/tuning-drums-percussion
    Interesting 5 minute read, they tuned the drums, i no longer liked the drums hahaha
    Seemed to have lost all their balls to me.

I'd definitely be curious in the context of a song you are working on how or why the drums lost their balls. It's meant for certain purposes and even though percussion seems atonal, it's not.

And not every sample is going to play well the moment it's tuned. From that point, the original balls may go away which is why you would use an EQ to boost the frequency that gave it the balls in the first place. You have a session to share?

• edited March 2018

No, i shared an article that had audio examples ??
    My point is that some people may not even like tuned drums, i may very well be one of them.
    This is not a technique that needs to be used on EVERYTHING.

• @5pinlink said:
    No, i shared an article that had audio examples ??
    My point is that some people may not even like tuned drums, i may very well be one of them.
    This is not a technique that needs to be used on EVERYTHING.

Correct.