“Mastering” multiple tracks at once with transitions - tip
I’m under no illusion that doing everything on iOS including “mastering” will result in something produced by a professional studio, but I do want to work towards releasing music that goes up to a comparable enough level that I can be satisfied with, within the (self imposed) limitations of the ios platform - it’s a creative challenge.
Anyway, I was scratching my head on how best to get consistent levels across tracks, make a running order for an EP / album, work on transitions between tracks and export individual “final” masters. Then it hit me that instead of using another app, why not just do it all in BM3?
This might be obvious for others but I thought I’d share my lightbulb moment anyway:
1) Export mixed tracks individually
2) Import each mixed track to an audio track in a new project
3) Import favourite reference tracks you know really well for A/B testing to individual audio tracks
4) Use track automations to fade in / fade out / overlap tracks as necessary
5) Apply a limiter (I use FAC maxima) to the Main out channel to ensure levels stay under whatever db you set
6) Apply individual compressors/limiters/whatever fx to individual tracks or the main out and hop around until you feel everything is coherent
7) Select a loop for each track you want to export, then export > loop, and repeat
I’m far from finishing this process, but thought I’d share anyway.
Anyone else with a similar workflow?