MIDI Clock

2»

Comments

• @Audiogus said:

@DeanDaughters said:
    ??

Midi Clock sync doesn't have anything to do with "current midi playback triggering"...

We are trying to sync BM3 with external hardware gear via midi clock.

Some people want to use it as a slave, some as a master - but no midi clock means we are forced to use an outside app (midi link sync or similar) and it does not start/stop with the hardware . Midi Clock would solve this.

:)

BM3 does start/stop for me with midi clock. It does not have persistent sync but I can play for a loooong time without any drift.

I just mentioned it because a lot of people do not know that 'midi playback triggering' (via clock) does work currently. I can start/stop playback of BM3 via my PC daw by sending midi clock, no need for an outside app like midi link sync. My Circuit starts BM3 when I hit play on my Circuit without any other apps. Just Circuit and BM3 on ipad. Yes, not ideal but a heck of a lot better than before when i did not know it even worked.

Here I demonstrate it with Cubasis (but again my Circuit (aka external hardware) does this too, not just IAA)...

Useful to know. This is actually how I use modstep (it syncs to a click very well but I normally don't send one and just set tempo manually for each session). I'll try it out and see if it works the same.

• edited November 2018

@OscarSouth said:

@Audiogus said:

@DeanDaughters said:
    ??

Midi Clock sync doesn't have anything to do with "current midi playback triggering"...

Some people want to use it as a slave, some as a master - but no midi clock means we are forced to use an outside app (midi link sync or similar) and it does not start/stop with the hardware . Midi Clock would solve this.

BM3 does start/stop for me with midi clock. It does not have persistent sync but I can play for a loooong time without any drift.

I just mentioned it because a lot of people do not know that 'midi playback triggering' (via clock) does work currently. I can start/stop playback of BM3 via my PC daw by sending midi clock, no need for an outside app like midi link sync. My Circuit starts BM3 when I hit play on my Circuit without any other apps. Just Circuit and BM3 on ipad. Yes, not ideal but a heck of a lot better than before when i did not know it even worked.

Here I demonstrate it with Cubasis (but again my Circuit (aka external hardware) does this too, not just IAA)...

Useful to know. This is actually how I use modstep (it syncs to a click very well but I normally don't send one and just set tempo manually for each session). I'll try it out and see if it works the same.

yah! modstep is a big part of my at home workflow now. Using BM3 as a groovebox/sampler in parralel with Modstep on a seperate ipad and Circuit all going into my PC Daw (and sunk up good enough for me ;) )has spread things out so nicely.

• @Audiogus said:

@OscarSouth said:

@Audiogus said:

@DeanDaughters said:
    ??

yah! modstep is a big part of my at home workflow now. Using BM3 as a groovebox/sampler in parralel with Modstep on a seperate ipad and Circuit all going into my PC Daw (and sunk up good enough for me ;) )has spread things out so nicely.

Yeah, for me (along with AUM and BM3's sampler) Modstep is an app that is so deeply and intuitively functional in a workflow that it just keeps coming back into my workflows again and again.

Because I typed it out recently in a private conversation, I can copypaste the setup I'm using it with into this thread:

I have three machines working together:

1. iPad Mini4
    2. iPad Air2
    3. Some old Thinkpad that I run Linux on
      The Mini4 is connected to a PreSonus iTwo box which is hooked up to the iCA4+ by DIN and balanced audio cables. I run that device on a much lower latency setting than the other two and do more controller type stuff with that using MIDI (usually modstep).

The Linux machine (which is also running Harrison Mixbus) is sending MIDI (that's a whole other story -- I'm generating it live with the Haskell programming language) to the Air2 and Mini4. The Air2 is an instrument host and the Mini4 captures MIDI to pass on to the Air2 later (I have Modstep set up with MIDI clock in a way that I can control it from inside the Haskell interpreter -- it's immense!).

In the end, the Air2 sends audio data via the iCA4+ through Harrison Mixbus's DSP, where I route/process and mix. I'm using it more like a 'live' mixer where. Finally, I print the finished sequenced audio to the timeline in Mixbus and add any extra tracking there before a final mix and master.

Kind of complex, I got here through maaaaaannny iterations and experimentations.

Ignore the cooker in the background — there’s a major rental crisis happening in Dublin and rents are crazy high, lets leave that there!

• edited November 2018

Cool! I just picked this up...

So I can go...

MIDI: 1 (PC Samplitude) ---> 2 (Circuit) ---> 3 (Quadra Thru) ---> 4a (Air1 / Modstep), 4b (ipad2017 / BM3), 4c (Tenori-On)

2,4a,4b, 4c all then send midi and/or audio back into 1. So I can hit play on my PC and it all plays back in 'good enough sync for me'. :)