Design a universal stand/controller

edited August 2018 in Off Topic
Discussions for designing a universal stand/controller for B3

Comments

  • Lets design a 3D printable case that hides away a CCK/USB Hub/Basic Audio MIDI interface and holds an iPad and and MPD 218.
    Basically lets kick the MPC X nuts into its guts.

  • @5pinlink said:
    Lets design a 3D printable case that hides away a CCK/USB Hub/Basic Audio MIDI interface and holds an iPad and and MPD 218.
    Basically lets kick the MPC X nuts into its guts.

    Are you like ex army or something. You’re always shooting things in the face and kicking nuts into guts. I feel like I should send you some meditation tracks 🙏😉

  • edited August 2018

    @5pinlink said:
    Lets design a 3D printable case that hides away a CCK/USB Hub/Basic Audio MIDI interface and holds an iPad and and MPD 218.
    Basically lets kick the MPC X nuts into its guts.

    I've been planning something similar for a while. I have a used mpd218 with broken usb port I bought lf eBay. No problem. I have a usb hub ready, audio interface... All I need now is the case to hold every thing in.

  • I just look at the itrack dock and i'm kinda like "Yeah, add some pads and don't be idiots with an over engineered lightning port that basically should have just been a wire so that it doesn't have connection issues, and this thing is the sickness"

    But if we are going to do it, then we need to define some standards, so
    A standard USB hub that we have taken and ripped apart to get the exact PCB size.
    A standard USB audio interface that we have taken and....you get the idea.
    Cheap easily attainable stuff second hand off ebay.

    After that its all pretty basic, just grab sktech up, learn sketch up, and then print it up.
    Might be an idea to go with wooden side cheeks though maybe.

  • @groovey said:
    Are you like ex army or something. You’re always shooting things in the face and kicking nuts into guts. I feel like I should send you some meditation tracks 🙏😉

    1 IAA needs to be shot in the face.
    2 I would have said kick the developer of MPC X nuts into his guts, but he left and made a rather nice app for IOS instead, IAA so it needs shooting in the face, but works well enough standalone anyway.

  • With an audio interface and a hub and the MPD it probably needs a powerbank too.

  • @5pinlink said:

    @groovey said:
    Are you like ex army or something. You’re always shooting things in the face and kicking nuts into guts. I feel like I should send you some meditation tracks 🙏😉

    1 IAA needs to be shot in the face.
    2 I would have said kick the developer of MPC X nuts into his guts, but he left and made a rather nice app for IOS instead, IAA so it needs shooting in the face, but works well enough standalone anyway.

    Wait what? Who left Akai and went iOS?

  • @5pinlink said:
    Just popped this in to off topic and may split the thread, @hansjbs a case to rule all cases may not have been what @mefisme had in mind haha.

    That’s just my idea of a design. Hopefully I can make it happen soon. I fix broken cntrollers from eBay from time to time so hopefully I will get lucky soon.

  • @5pinlink said:
    Lets design a 3D printable case that hides away a CCK/USB Hub/Basic Audio MIDI interface and holds an iPad and and MPD 218.
    Basically lets kick the MPC X nuts into its guts.

    ITrack dock isn’t so bad but limited (no hub). Other good candidates for such project could be akai eie (red) and novation audiohub. For the controller side I dabbled with launch controllers and trigger finger pro but there is nothing true “right in the spot” IMHO...

    Maybe a Hardware partnership will be good for intua? And if positive answer... which? :sweat_smile:

  • @hansjbs said:

    @5pinlink said:

    @groovey said:
    Are you like ex army or something. You’re always shooting things in the face and kicking nuts into guts. I feel like I should send you some meditation tracks 🙏😉

    1 IAA needs to be shot in the face.
    2 I would have said kick the developer of MPC X nuts into his guts, but he left and made a rather nice app for IOS instead, IAA so it needs shooting in the face, but works well enough standalone anyway.

    Wait what? Who left Akai and went iOS?

    Looptunes developer, he wrote Akai MPC Software, then left, then software stopped for years, then started again and is now bug ridden nasty lol.

  • Hmm interesting

  • I have a jigsaw. Lol.

  • I balance my iPad above my MPC1000 sometimes, I always wanted to design a case to angle my MPC and use the iPad like a folding screen. The MPC is practically the same width as the iPad Pro. Might give it a go

  • The MPD218 doesn't double-trigger? So it's recommended with BM3?
    This case would need an Expert Sleepers FH-2 to truly kick the MPC-X in the nuts. And BM3 would need MIDI Clock.

  • edited August 2018

    Everybody i have ased about the MPD says it doesnt double trigger, i havent tried it yet myself.

  • Worked in the iPhone/iPad case industry for many years. My advice: stay away!

  • Why ?
    I can see this being a completely pointless commercial enterprise, but as a 3D printable community bit of fun, i dont see the issue ?

  • @5pinlink said:
    Why ?
    I can see this being a completely pointless commercial enterprise, but as a 3D printable community bit of fun, i dont see the issue ?

    If you want to make tight fitting solution you're in for one. Apple does not provide tech specs on any of their devices, which means you will have to actually own a device to make measurements, do your 3D modeling, print a case, and test fit. That ain't no big deal you think, but note that Apple always come out with new devices and switches the lightning port or volume buttons etc. Or worse (which has happened on occasion), they come out with updated device that on first sight looks like an identical form factor, but on test fitting the updated device (which means you had to buy one!) to your case, you come to find out that they moved the volume buttons by .5mm, and you have to make adjustments again, rinse repeat, etc. Your "bit of fun" has potential to become a nightmare.

    However, if you are looking for something simple, like a frame that fits multiple sized iPads and the MDP, then you could be on to something. Also, be cool idea to include the portable speakers perhaps?

  • Oh wait, you actually think ipad mounted in the case, screw that, im not dumb lol
    Im thinking look at MPCX, the ipad would be slotted in to an angled stand at the back, any pad would fit including any future iteration of pad, or surface when B3 is on windows ;)

  • Ill drag silo out and do a superquick 3d mock up at some point

  • In fact i can give an idea right now thinking about, check out the pioneer wego, coolslot, fits any iPad.

  • @5pinlink said:
    In fact i can give an idea right now thinking about, check out the pioneer wego, coolslot, fits any iPad.

    Ah cool. Yes, that will be fun.

  • Yo, I've been thinking about making this for a while actually. I do have a 3d printer so if anyone comes up with any ideas let me know and i can test print it!

  • Stoked to see this!

  • I gave up on the idea, there is very little consensus on a universal design, so it ground to a halt haha.

  • edited July 2

    I also was going to design a case or stand for my iPad rig
    especially after seeing what was on offer then
    I realised what a mammoth task that was going to be
    so keeping the concept in my head, I changed direction.

    I had a wooden box in my music room and decided to modify
    it a little to make it a useable surface to place my iPad on.
    Turns out that my iPad fitted on the lid almost perfectly.
    The next thing was to prop it up so using a spare piece of wood
    left over from prototyping my handmade photography books
    I used that to prop the lid up which meant the iPad then didn't slip off.
    I added a small piece of wood to the lid which prevented it from
    falling of and then painted it.

    I also custom painted my iPad case so that it didn't look so generic.

    I've started custom coiling my cables and I've already
    customised the sides of my little Behringer mixer.

    I have a second wooden box which is exactly the same size
    as the first one and is going to be my rough and ready stand for gigs
    and leaving the other one permanently setup in my music room.

    A couple of snap shots of my current setup.

    Note on the iPad
    BM3 with ToneStacks running in parallel in AUM.

    Currently testing some creative mastering techniques.


  • The Alesis IOdock is what you're describing..
    🤷🏾‍♂️

  • edited July 4

    Not a single mention of Duct Tape in this entire thread? You people are simply not serious about this effort.

  • @number37 said:
    Not a single mention of Duct Tape in this entire thread? You people are simply not serious about this effort.

    LMAO!!!!

    It hasn't gone into outer space yet.
    That's when I'm going to need the duct tape.
    Just in case....

  • Come back after lovely topic on AB forum... I see maschine mk3 as perfect candidate, shame on NI are non class compliant midi side... so, what is the usual pad controller are you using?
    My last two were TFP and vestax pad one... and if I come back to use again BM3... it will be with drum pad to mimic an SpSX...

    I’m curious. What pad controllers are you using?

Sign In or Register to comment.