Starting on electronic, would you help me a little?

Hello there!!

I'm Alvaro from Chile and my english sucks a little. I'm just starting on electronic music, and bought Beatmaker 3 and other iPad software. I would like to make some beats to write some songs on a soul/jazzy/bluesy style. I'm more a guitarrist and rock songwriter, but now I would like to slow down a little.

I was checking Beatmaker 3 sounds, and I think I can't find the right kick. I would like a very fat and bassy kick, maybe there is some kit or machine I should know. As I told you before, I'm just starting on electronic, meeting the TB-303, TR-808 and other things that I'm just starting to understand.

I have AUM, Cubasis, Beatmaker 3, Audiobus 3 , DM1, Rozeta, Amplitube, Jussi, SyndtSphere, Troublemaker, Sampletank, Harmony Eight, Loopy HD, Parametric EQ on software

On Hardware I have a mac, iRig Pro, some guitars, an iRig Keys, and that's it.

I would like to buy some monitor and good mics to record voices soon.

I will be checking the forums! Thanks for all!

Comments

• Welcome Alvaro
    Your English is better than mine, and i'm British hahaha.

Can you post a YouTube link to a song with the sorts of bassdrum you are looking for.
    For very simple reference, the 808 tends to be a longer subby style bassdrum, the 909 id a shorter thumping style bassdrum, layers of the two can often create monsters, and distorting or driving either will give you near enough ever bassdrum used in electrinica in the last thirty years.

• edited August 2018

Welcome Alvaro.

As 5pin suggested, show us some tracks you like (YouTube videos?) and we will help you find all the sounds you need.

• Damn it, I was trying to remember a song with that kick, but can't! This is a kick with lot of bass and wet. Not sure how to explain it...being a british would be helpful now hahaha

• A lot of bass would normally be 808, YouTube up 808 bassdrum long or something, see if those are the sort of thing you are looking for.

• @5pinlink said:
    A lot of bass would normally be 808, YouTube up 808 bassdrum long or something, see if those are the sort of thing you are looking for.

Well, that made it. Got the 808 kit from the store, and I'm done for a while :D Thank you very much, I'll post something soon, maybe I could get some advice on this trip!

• Great stuff, glad you are up and running :)

• BM3 has that Ludwig Kit that I really like. Being old school Rock n Roll Ya All. $4.99 but worth it for me. They have the preview button so give it a listen.

Slim

• So, where > @Slimbeaux said:

BM3 has that Ludwig Kit that I really like. Being old school Rock n Roll Ya All. $4.99 but worth it for me. They have the preview button so give it a listen.

Slim

I'll try it, thanks!

• edited August 2018

If you are going to use a ludwig for electronica, you want to create patterns a good 20-30 BPM slower than you plan on using them, then run them through a 12 bit 32khz degrader if you want old school, if you want modern house break sound you leave the bits and just lower the samplerate, compress a smidge and roll off the highs and lows with an EQ, then resample, speed them up the 20-30bpm (no time stretch) and you will have nice breakbeaty sounding patterns, better still add Klevgrands LP and Cassette AUv3 plugins before resampling too, they will sound great ;)

• Oh and dont forget once you speed up the patterns, resample them, then slice them, then save them as truncated kits for re-use whenever you need ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    Oh and dont forget once you speed up the patterns, resample them, then slice them, then save them as truncated kits for re-use whenever you need ;)

I don't think I can do that :p

• Yeah you can, if you get stuck ask here, it sounds a lot more complicated than it is ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    Yeah you can, if you get stuck ask here, it sounds a lot more complicated than it is ;)

Okey, I'll try!

• Here i did you a quick video, should get you started ;)

• edited August 2018

So, I'm having some fun with Beatmaker, a little iRig Keys and some iPad apps, but of course I have some problems. Could you help me to configure all the toys together? I mean, I made a little beat on BM3, loaded AUM with BM3 and Sampletank, then did one hundred things that I can't remember and made BM3 to record from Sampletank a mellow electric piano. So, I said "damn, I'm good" and tried to record another bank with a lead but no no no, if I change the instrument on sampletank the bank with piano change aswell. So, not sure how I should do this. Is ok to use AUM? Should I load Sampletank or another instrument directly on BM3, should I go back to play guitar and forget this? At least I'm starting to comunicate different apps, and that's so much fun already! What do you recommend guys?

Thank you very much!

UPDATE: I made Rozeta work with some sinths on AUM, so I think I'm a few steps to make all work
    UPDATE 2: 2 AM in Chile, but iRig Keys is working with the arpegiator and all the things. Next step is to record on BM3. This is fun. Have to work in a few hours, so going to sleep.

• Maybe a solution would be to buy another good synth and piano. Sampletank is not the big deal. I have it because it came for free with the iRig Pro I bought 2 years ago. I could spend some money on some instruments. I was thinking on Poison since is very very nice.

• edited August 2018

Best solution is to find open source sample content, then map it yourself to the B3 sampler, you get the instrument, you can post the instrument here for others to use (We have hosting supplied by @ronji just send me the files) and you learn B3s sampler inside out.
    One stone, three birds ;)

I suggest this route because as its name suggest, sample tank is sample based ;)