AUv3 UI scaling issues
So I've been along for the ride for a while now. Been patiently waiting for the infamous "3.1" to drop, then 3.10 came, and now it's finally 3.12 time. There's been promises about making AU scale better in BeatMaker UI's on 12.9" iPads for what seems like forever; some of that was even part of the release notes in 3.08! It's still awful today.
The fact of the matter though is that plenty of AU still scale terribly in BeatMaker, and that makes for a bad experience when it happens. Things are too small, don't scroll well, or look downright bizarre at times. Some AU developers are notoriously bad at this, others are brilliant.
And there's no silver bullet for handling all possible current (and future) resolutions. Making UIs scale properly is difficult, I know. It's time consuming. I know there's no particular actor at fault here. Take your pick:
- Apple for hammering in a single X by Y resolution for AUs in GarageBand
- Steinberg for refusing to update Cubasis to support the larger native resolution of the 12.9" iPads for the longest time
- Steinberg again for finally updating Cubasis to support the resolution, but specially handling AU interfaces as "small mode" to maintain the old dimensions and make them look better
- App developers for hard coding their UIs (but can you blame them given the above 3 points?)
- Others that aren't as obvious.
Is there a reason for Intua sticking to their guns and continuing with "here's a region in the app, let's hope that AU developers fill it properly"? This doesn't seem to work. Cubasis looks better. Auria looks better. AUM looks better. And it's only because they default to that standard old "small X by Y" resolution that happens to be the default in GarageBand and isn't relative to whatever the iPad's screen size happens to be.
Is there any chance for Intua to rethink how they display AUs? Surely I'm not the only one making beats on a 12.9" iPad.