Entire sessions missing!!!

Has anyone else had entire sessions just disappear for seemingly no reason? I noticed the first one missing on November 22, so I rescanned the database based on an answer I found here for a different question (about missing samples). This did not bring back the missing session. Then this morning I was looking for an entirely different session, and now that one is missing as well. I couldn’t find anything online or on the forum about this particular issue. I hadn’t been backing up my sessions to my laptop or a hard drive, which is my fault (and it seems like I’m learning my lesson the hard way), but I’ve been using BM3 for months and I’ve never experienced anything like this. It’s a pretty major issue, so I was surprised to find that seemingly no one else has had this problem, based on what I’ve found online. I’m at my wit’s end with this, somebody please help!

Comments

  • edited November 25

    Yes missing sessions has not been reported before at all that i can remember, were they fully saved/named sessions or autosaved sessions etc ?

  • They were saved but not renamed; I left them with the dates as the names (probably should make a habit of naming them going forward? I didn’t realize that would be an issue as long as I saved them), but saved my progress many times as I was working on them. Are sessions not considered fully saved if they are not named?

    Thanks for any help you could provide; if it’s just an issue of needing to name my sessions and back everything up, then I’ll just consider it a lesson learned and rename/backup going forward. Thanks again!

  • Also, I have many other sessions that were saved but not renamed which are not missing; not sure why it would have been only these two that went missing?

  • No naming is definitely not the reason you have lost sessions, if you saved them, you saved them, thats all that matters.
    The only reason i mentioned naming was for searching purposes, where were they saved to ?

  • Have you checked the 'Unsaved Sessions' folder at the bottom of the Documents folder? Had a couple sessions end up there when first working with BM3... not sure how that works ..perhaps due to the way BM3 auto-saves and how/when you name your project [?] Have you had a look around in other folders? ..even the Banks folder...ya never know

  • 5pinlink, the missing sessions were saved to the Sessions folder.

    BitterGums, I did check the Unsaved Sessions folder; after I initially rescanned the database, all my other unnamed sessions were moved there, but the two in question were still missing. I have checked the rest of the folders and didn’t find them anywhere, but I’ll look again just to be sure. You’re right, you never know. Thanks for the suggestion!

  • Anything saved in the sessions folder should not get deleted by any scan, contact support@intua.net when you can.
    I am surprised this hasn't been reported before if B3 has caused it though, do you use any 3rd party file explorers ?

  • Thanks! I just sent an email. Sorry for the late reply, I’ve had a hectic couple of days.

  • mjlmjl
    edited December 6

    Okay, more bad news: I started a new session last night, worked on it for a little while, then renamed it and saved it to the sessions folder. When I woke up this morning, I went to listen to it, but there was no sound. This happens sometimes when I open a session in BM3, and usually closing then reopening the app fixes it. This time, when I reopened the app after closing it, my whole session was missing!

    I’ve been using BM3 a lot in the weeks since I first posted, and haven’t had any other issues. It’s just frustrating and gives me real anxiety about using BM3, because I never know what sessions are going to just disappear and how much work I’m going to lose.

    I wrote to Support a few weeks back after being instructed to do so by 5pinlink, but I still haven’t heard anything back.

  • This scares me!!

  • edited December 10

    @mjl hey man have you checked the session directories. The one you were working on has disappeared from there ?

    When you saved it with a new name did you save it so it copied over the samples to the new session ? If not it may still be referencing the sample files from the older session. Though B3 should tell you it can’t find the files when you try and open the session and to search the database so it can relink.

    Also the backup sessions folder where it keeps kind of snapshots. You might be able to find a version there.

    Try a database rescan as well.

    Might you have it saved in a previous iCloud backup so you can at least try and reclaim it?

    Hope something there helps.

  • When you do the initial save, it should save to sessions, however if it is loaded from elsewhere it will save to that folder.
    When you "Save as" to rename, it always saves to the Session folder, so if it was renamed it should always be in the session folder.

  • @mjl said:
    Okay, more bad news: I started a new session last night, worked on it for a little while, then renamed it and saved it to the sessions folder. When I woke up this morning, I went to listen to it, but there was no sound. This happens sometimes when I open a session in BM3, and usually closing then reopening the app fixes it. This time, when I reopened the app after closing it, my whole session was missing!

    What happens here is that plugins load in the background. When loading a session, give your iPad a few seconds to load the pugins before pressing play. You’ll never have this issue again, happened to me too a lot.

  • @mjl said:
    I’ve been using BM3 a lot in the weeks since I first posted, and haven’t had any other issues. It’s just frustrating and gives me real anxiety about using BM3, because I never know what sessions are going to just disappear and how much work I’m going to lose.

    To be clear, are the files themselves missing, or is this just the no sound thing (fixable if with my previous comment)?

  • @groovey said:
    @mjl hey man have you checked the session directories. The one you were working on has disappeared from there ?

    When you saved it with a new name did you save it so it copied over the samples to the new session ? If not it may still be referencing the sample files from the older session. Though B3 should tell you it can’t find the files when you try and open the session and to search the database so it can relink.

    Also the backup sessions folder where it keeps kind of snapshots. You might be able to find a version there.

    Try a database rescan as well.

    Might you have it saved in a previous iCloud backup so you can at least try and reclaim it?

    Hope something there helps.

    Thanks for your reply!

    Yeah, I thoroughly checked the session directories. The new session I was working on was nowhere to be found. It doesn't look like it was saved to a previous iCloud backup, unfortunately.

    I did try a database rescan, and that didn't help.

  • @blueveek said:

    @mjl said:
    I’ve been using BM3 a lot in the weeks since I first posted, and haven’t had any other issues. It’s just frustrating and gives me real anxiety about using BM3, because I never know what sessions are going to just disappear and how much work I’m going to lose.

    To be clear, are the files themselves missing, or is this just the no sound thing (fixable if with my previous comment)?

    Thanks for the tips!

    As for the "no sound" thing, if/when that happens again from now on I will give everything a few seconds to load before I try to play anything. That sounds like pretty solid advice.

    With this particular session, at first the session was there, in the sessions folder, But there was no sound. Then when I closed/reopened BM3 (because when I have that issue, closing/reopening the app will usually fix it), the session and all related files were completely missing.

    I know I never had any of these problems until after the recent update in November; I wonder if that could have anything to do with it?

  • @5pinlink said:
    When you do the initial save, it should save to sessions, however if it is loaded from elsewhere it will save to that folder.
    When you "Save as" to rename, it always saves to the Session folder, so if it was renamed it should always be in the session folder.

    Ok, that makes sense. I did use "save as" to rename the session, but it did not save to the sessions folder. How would it be loaded from elsewhere? When I started the session, I opened a new session, and then saved it to the sessions folder, so it should be in there. Is there a chance the session files could somehow become corrupted? Would that cause them to disappear this way?

    I'm wondering if there is something I am doing accidentally to cause this? At first I thought maybe I was somehow accidentally deleting the sessions, but there are a lot of steps to deleting a session so I don't think this is the case (I'd have to hit edit, then select the session, then hit delete; it doesn't seem like there would be a way to delete a session without doing it very intentionally).

  • edited December 13

    Yeah, the only people who can help you with this are intua im afraid, there is only so much we can cover on the forum.

  • @5pinlink said:
    Yeah, the only people who can help you with this are intua im afraid, there is only so much we can cover on the forum.

    That's no problem, I appreciate the help you have been able to provide! Hopefully I'll hear something back from Intua at some point. Thanks!

  • @mathieugarcia hopefully he sees this.
    There may be some delays at the moment though with emails, I think they had an issue with the mail or something, so they may need time to catch up.

  • I'll check into this issue soon, thanks for the detailed report.

    Cheers,
    Mathieu.

Sign In or Register to comment.