Trying to record without quantize but...

edited November 28 in Off Topic

No idea how to switch off any form of quantize - not the note lengths but trying to get a live feel groove Any tips -cheers in advance
Just realised I posted in Off Topic - not sure how to move to General

Comments



  • Or this for editing MIDI notes after the fact

  • @XanderJames cheers - I tried the first suggestion turned off the quantize before recording - tried a drum roll but never plays back exactly how I recorded in - notes are still sounding grided - will try setting the grid to Free before recording - doubt that will work but can only try - cool

  • @XanderJames still not working Thanks for tips though

  • Quantize off seems ok when doing a basic drum sequence but when Iam doing intricate drum rolls Bm3 not playing back exactly what I recorded
    @5pinlink Any tips?

  • edited November 28

    @XanderJames @5pinlink Sorted I increased the pad polyphony from 1 to 2 and set global swing to zero

  • edited November 28

    Hi @beatmakerstorm - glad to hear you've got it sorted

    From experience, it's also worth checking two other things if this happens again...

    1. Ableton Link is OFF
    2. Note repeats are also switched off for the bank you are using. You can check this by opening the performance modifier side panel and checking that none of the note repeats are blue (which means enabled)

    In the screenshot below you'll see I have 1/32 note repeats switched on, which would make it impossible to do un-quantised finger drumming...

    ...and btw - you are correct. Grid settings have no effect on record quantise, and only apply when editing a midi pattern.

    Bonus tip - remember you can group select midi notes (for example hi-hats) and apply swing-% using the quantise command in the bottom-right of the midi pattern editor.

  • @tk32 said:
    Hi @beatmakerstorm - glad to hear you've got it sorted

    From experience, it's also worth checking two other things if this happens again...

    1. Ableton Link is OFF
    2. Note repeats are also switched off for the bank you are using. You can check this by opening the performance modifier side panel and checking that none of the note repeats are blue (which means enabled)

    In the screenshot below you'll see I have 1/32 note repeats switched on, which would make it impossible to do un-quantised finger drumming...

    ...and btw - you are correct. Grid settings have no effect on record quantise, and only apply when editing a midi pattern.

    Bonus tip - remember you can group select midi notes (for example hi-hats) and apply swing-% using the quantise command in the bottom-right of the midi pattern editor.

    Ok cheers for the info

  • Also note I've experienced an annoying behavior when trying to say drum roll on a pad with alternating index fingers, if your first finger doesn't release before the second one hits, you can get weird overlap behavior where the ends are correct (or at least the length) but the starts all are placed with the first tap. So two become one, stacked. Haven't really tested this in 3.0.12 tho so it might not apply

  • edited November 29

    @ronji I've got a few little hacks for this (if you can call them hacks)

    It just requires having two ways to trigger the same pad on screen at once.

    Precisely how you achieve this is down to preference, but here are a few...

    1. Use the mini pads (left sidebar) with your left finger, whilst your right finger takes the big pad
    2. In the velocity panel, tapping anywhere in the velocity ribbon triggers a midi note for the active pad — so as long as you tap the first note with your right finger on the big pads, any further taps in the velocity ribbon with your left will trigger new notes far better than try to use to fingers on the same pad. (tip- you can also enable triplet 1/32 repeats for easy flams with your left finger)
    3. Use a 'float over' midi controller to provide more ways targets for your fingers
    4. Use a double-keyboard view set to the same octave (C3?)
    5. If your using Noir, or some other plugin and can't enable double keyboards - use @blueveek 's newly-discovered glitch to enable KB-1 and a built-in keyboard onscreen at once.
    6. Keep a few empty pads, and use the group/link feature so you can trigger the same sample via multiple pads
  • @tk32 said:
    5. If your using Noir, or some other plugin and can't enable double keyboards - use @blueveek 's newly-discovered glitch to enable KB-1 and a built-in keyboard onscreen at once.

    In which thread is this newly-discovered glitch mentioned? Or is it the case of now having to follow online chats in order to keep up with things?

  • edited November 29

    Hi @bleep - it was mentioned in the Discord chat last night

    I'll ask @blueveek if he wouldn't mind posting a new thread with the trick (and his video) here on the forum so everyone can use it.

  • @ronji said:
    Also note I've experienced an annoying behavior when trying to say drum roll on a pad with alternating index fingers, if your first finger doesn't release before the second one hits, you can get weird overlap behavior where the ends are correct (or at least the length) but the starts all are placed with the first tap. So two become one, stacked. Haven't really tested this in 3.0.12 tho so it might not apply

    This has been reported before in bugs i think ?

  • edited November 29

    @5pinlink I think so.

    Just did some testing. It appears to be specific to a single pad's single note. If you are triggering the same note on the same pad, it's going to align the start positions to the first tap. If you use a double keyboard on the same pad and use separate fingers on the same note (C3) you're gonna have the same problem. If you use any method that either uses separate pads or separate notes on a single pad, you will not have this problem.

    I have not yet done this same testing with a midi controller, virtual (KB1) or physical (launchkey mini), but I will try that later.

    @tk32 I'm lost on option 1, cuz I can't seem to find a way to show both mini pads (sampler?) And large pads (pad view?) At the same time. Option 2 doesn't work because same pad note on same pad. Option 4 doesn't help. Option 6 doesn't work with actually empty pads cuz you can't set the link group, but pads with a sample loaded do work, but for that matter, might as well not link so both pads don't fire at the same time for every hit. You could use an empty sample, or some other trick, but why not just either copy the one pad, since separate pads just don't suffer the problem. I haven't tried options 3 or 5.

  • edited November 29

    Well damn, I was almost sure a few of those worked for me.

    Thanks for mythbusting.

    Did you definitely switch off quantise note off?

  • Definitely did. But now I'm second guessing myself so I'm gonna do a lil video

  • edited November 29

    Here’ my vid - seems to work fine as far as i can tell..

    Note - this was all done on my touch screen.

  • You can't see my fingers, but trust the whole point of this is what happens when one finger doesn't come away from the screen before another one hits the same pad/note. I'm using 45bpm just so it's extra clear no quantizing is happening.

    0:20 tapping on single pad
    0:23 tapping on a pad and then the velocity area
    1:05 tapping on a mini pad and then the mini keys at bottom
    1:15 tapping on C3 on separate keyboard layers per finger
    1:50 tapping different notes for single pad: no problem
    2:30 tapping on two separate pads: no problem

  • @tk32 said:
    Hi @bleep - it was mentioned in the Discord chat last night

    I'll ask @blueveek if he wouldn't mind posting a new thread with the trick (and his video) here on the forum so everyone can use it.

    Posted here: https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/7199/using-au-midi-plugins-and-au-instrument-plugins-at-the-same-time/p1?new=1

Sign In or Register to comment.