Making a sample library..

hi I am new to iOS world and exited to join with BM3! I used to use Ableton and reason and have big sample libraries in my desktop folders. I recently got rid of my mackbook and am starting music production from scratch on iOS iPad gen 6. I just downloaded AudioShare and Dropbox but not sure what the heck these are for. I just want a few choir samples and guitar feedback samples from the web and tried to download from free sound.org but it does not seem to go to my Dropbox though I selected it to. In time I want stuff again from loop masters cymatics splice and of course free sights as well for more homegrown sounds.

Here’s the question. Going from Mac to iOS how do I get sounds so I can load into the sampler ?I am getting a headache. Any tutorials or ... how do you all get your samples? It was so easy won a laptop to put in desktop folders. I want my own sound library like I had on the Mac. thanks in advance! I am excited to begin iOS production 😃

Comments

• Correction so easy with a laptop

• Dropbox works for me (on Beatmaker2), but reading the reviews from the app store I noticed a lot of people mentioning issues with Dropbox on BM3. Another quick option may be using an FTP like FileZilla.

• iOS 13 (iPadOS) will bring a number of new ways to get files into BM3.

Just today, I was using the beta version of iPadOS to transfer samples wirelessly from my desktop PC to my Beatmaker samples folder via SMB share.

It worked flawlessly.

• edited August 2

I use Dropbox with BM3, but only for quickly transferring a few samples to BM3. Only issue I have is occasionally having to refresh (hit your avatar/face then refresh). Also, it's rare but sometimes I need to force-close BM3, and reopen it for the Dropbox contents to refresh, when I get the 'file doesn't exist' error.

For downloading samples and zips on iOS, you may want to use the web browser in Documents by Readdle App Store Link. It's one of the only iOS web browsers that can download files directly, not just zip files. Save the samples to Documents, and inside Documents or the Files App you can move them to BM3, Dropbox, etc.

Also Documents by Readdle is the best file browser that I've found for streaming sample libraries stored on Google Drive link. Google gives you 15GB for free. It's the fastest cloud storage I've found for storing sample libraries. Documents by Readdle is the fastest file browser I've found, especially for auditioning samples on Google Drive. I even tried paid file browser apps, and the free Documents by Readdle was clearly the best/fastest. Documents also has SMB sharing, and once set up, allows you to transfer data to/from devices on your network.

AudioShare is a central-repository for locally-stored sample libraries, like AudioCopy. Locally-stored means that the samples live on your iPad, not in the cloud. This is the where I like to keep most of my samples, which I use in BM3 and other sample-based synths like Quanta, Egoist, SpaceCraft...but then storage space is a big issue. You can access the samples using the Files App or iOS share sheet.

Easiest way to transfer large sample libraries to BM3 is using a laptop, like you mentioned. If you're on Windows, use an iTunes-alternative-software, like CopyTransApps link. Use it to move content to/from BM3 and other apps. You can also use CopyTransApps to backup BM3 onto your laptop. If you plan on using CopyTransApps, let me know, there is a specific installation process, but once it's installed, it's the easiest/fastest Windows tool.

Best practice is to plan ahead, otherwise you'll lose track once your library grows. Create specific folders with specific names. If your concerned about storage space, pay attention to your bit depth and sample rate. Category Tagging doesn't work in BM3, so best avoid that.

• One way to get samples on to your iPad without
    a laptop is to use your router if your router has a USB port.

I've been using FileExplorer free and importing samples
    and saving projects using ,'Samba'.

It takes a minute to setup but once up and running
    is very useful.

Bear in my mind I've done this using USB keys rather than a harddrive.

I haven't tried iOS13 yet, this method is working in iOS 12.3.1.