Ipad Pro vs Ipad 9.7

Anyone got an Ipad Pro is it that much better than a Ipad 9.7 which I have lol?

Comments

• I have a 2017 ipad, bought when it came out and told myself it was good. Two years later I jonesed for an upgrade and got the 10.5 Pro. Oh good Lordy, yah this was/is the ticket.

• @The_Bro - there have been lots of 9.7" iPads over the years

Do you know which model you have?

• 2017 model. Its good but not good enough for BM3 and multiple AUs in my opinion. I don't have the money for an upgrade at the moment but yeah in the future I'd like to get the Ipad Pro. :wink:

• @Audiogus said:
    I have a 2017 ipad, bought when it came out and told myself it was good. Two years later I jonesed for an upgrade and got the 10.5 Pro. Oh good Lordy, yah this was/is the ticket.

Nice man. How many AUs can you run in BM3?

• @The_Bro said:

@Audiogus said:
    I have a 2017 ipad, bought when it came out and told myself it was good. Two years later I jonesed for an upgrade and got the 10.5 Pro. Oh good Lordy, yah this was/is the ticket.

Different AUs have different loads but I am pretty darn happy. FAB filters have been crazy efficient. I rarely run into CPU issues much these days. I usually get about 6 AU synths like Factory, Aparillo, Zeeon, Synthmaster One etc going and lots of FX. Seems to works best when it is spread it out over multiple synths, hard to really quantify as some AUs are much heavier than others. I love it though and it feels like how it was meant to be.

• @Audiogus said:

@The_Bro said:

@Audiogus said:

Different AUs have different loads but I am pretty darn happy. FAB filters have been crazy efficient. I rarely run into CPU issues much these days. I usually get about 6 AU synths like Factory, Aparillo, Zeeon, Synthmaster One etc going and lots of FX. Seems to works best when it is spread it out over multiple synths, hard to really quantify as some AUs are much heavier than others. I love it though and it feels like how it was meant to be.

Interesting but hardly startling performance when compared to a laptop or pc. What was all this business of the Ipad Pro suppose to be more powerful than a Mac lol? Not hating though but I just feel for between £1-1.5k for an Ipad Pro it should be way more capable.

• edited July 2019

@The_Bro said:

@Audiogus said:

@The_Bro said:

@Audiogus said:

Interesting but hardly startling performance when compared to a laptop or pc. What was all this business of the Ipad Pro suppose to be more powerful than a Mac lol? Not hating though but I just feel for between £1-1.5k for an Ipad Pro it should be way more capable.

With the above I am maybe at around 70% CPU and tend to hover there as I like to be able to run another app in the background for pinch hitting if I have to. (Cubasis, AUM etc at times). There are ussualy quite a few banks playing samples and an audio track or two. Also ‘lots of FX’ as I mentioned (which doesn't paint a good picture) but they add up and I do use lots these days.

I don’t like maxxing my CPU out as the worst is to max out a project, save a few versions and oh what do you know? They don’t reload properly.

Ultimately the Pro pales in comparison to even my low end Zenbook which seems to easily get two to three times the performance (running Massive, Absynth and even a few Omnisphere (depending on the patch)) for what was around two thirds the price of a new Pro. How much of this has to do with the fact that NI may have much more efficient vsts of course could be a thing. The Fab filters on iOS are seemingly way more efficient to me than the rest of the iOS fx gang, for example.

But yah the comic book sized tiny slate comes at a price. Hellah compact... kind of a pussy. But then we are also talking AUs which have a possibly harsh memory cap and who know what else going on in the OS etc etc

• Good response. I just feel a bit let down with IOS and the Ipad at the mo. I don't mind relying on samples to be honest though as you seem to get many many more channels in BM3 with that method but with all these tasty AUs now its just a shame I'm unlikely to use them. :-(