Weird CPU spikes

I don’t know if the cause of this from updating to iOS 13. But some of my projects that worked fine before when I load them now and hit the playback my cpu goes bonkers. I’m running an IPad Pro 10.5 512gb. It’s very frustrating dealing with all these nuances. Especially being that I thought the IPad route was it. Man was I wrong and it’s not just BM3. It’s every other daw app as well. Maybe that’s why everyone raves about aum. Maybe I’ll give the modular approach a try before jumping ship which makes it difficult being that I’ve invested a lot of money in the iOS realm of creativity.

Comments

  • @urbancinemabeatz said:
    I don’t know if the cause of this from updating to iOS 13. But some of my projects that worked fine before when I load them now and hit the playback my cpu goes bonkers. I’m running an IPad Pro 10.5 512gb. It’s very frustrating dealing with all these nuances. Especially being that I thought the IPad route was it. Man was I wrong and it’s not just BM3. It’s every other daw app as well. Maybe that’s why everyone raves about aum. Maybe I’ll give the modular approach a try before jumping ship which makes it difficult being that I’ve invested a lot of money in the iOS realm of creativity.

    My experience after updating my 10.5 256gb to iOS 13 was that there seemed to be a bunch of background stuff iOS was doing (indexing files or something?) that seemed to render it a bit performance glitchy for over an hour. Could just be that it will settle down.

  • @urbancinemabeatz said:
    I don’t know if the cause of this from updating to iOS 13. But some of my projects that worked fine before when I load them now and hit the playback my cpu goes bonkers. I’m running an IPad Pro 10.5 512gb. It’s very frustrating dealing with all these nuances. Especially being that I thought the IPad route was it. Man was I wrong and it’s not just BM3. It’s every other daw app as well. Maybe that’s why everyone raves about aum. Maybe I’ll give the modular approach a try before jumping ship which makes it difficult being that I’ve invested a lot of money in the iOS realm of creativity.

    After any major ios updates there's always issues similar to what you've experienced. Has to do with what @Audiogus mentioned above. They will settle down and things will get back to normal.

  • I have the same iPad model as you @urbancinemabeatz and having no issues in iPadOS 13

    Wait a little, like the others suggested, and if that doesn't work check your latency in BM3 is set to 512 (which is my top tip for a good balance between latency and low CPU load)

  • @Audiogus @hansjbs @tk32 I appreciate all you guys feedback I will give it sometime to iron itself out. Thanks.

  • edited October 2

    Also, unless you’re actually getting crackling from buffer overruns, or other audible or visible performance degradation, CPU % can be misleading on iOS. IOS does tricky things like CPU throttling to minimize battery drain. Ironically, higher CPU can even mean your iPad is working less hard and has been throttled back because the power isn’t needed. That type of behavior isn’t reflected in the CPU meter.

    TLDR; don’t take CPU % literally in any iOS app. But if you’re having audio problems then something is up.

  • @number37 said:
    Also, unless you’re actually getting crackling from buffer overruns, or other audible or visible performance degradation, CPU % can be misleading on iOS. IOS does tricky things like CPU throttling to minimize battery drain. Ironically, higher CPU can even mean your iPad is working less hard and has been throttled back because the power isn’t needed. That type of behavior isn’t reflected in the CPU meter.

    TLDR; don’t take CPU % literally in any iOS app. But if you’re having audio problems then something is up.

    @number37 actually I am getting cracklings from all this and I’ve tried all the higher buffer settings as well.

  • Using any particular AUs?

  • @Audiogus I use AuV3 only fabfilter plugins and only AuV3 effects. However on my main out effects channel I use two inter app audio plugins from kymatica that I can’t live without. They’ve never really caused me any major issues.

  • Just a thought .. is there possibly a samplerate mismatch between BM3 and the IAA plugins?

    If bm3 is running at 48khz, try changing it to 44.1khz (or vice versa) and see if that makes any difference.

    I hate IAA. Too many issues

  • edited October 3

    @tk32 said:
    Just a thought .. is there possibly a samplerate mismatch between BM3 and the IAA plugins?

    If bm3 is running at 48khz, try changing it to 44.1khz (or vice versa) and see if that makes any difference.

    I hate IAA. Too many issues

    @tk32 I just tried it to no avail I don’t know what could be the cause but Is went from 44.1 to 48 and it got worse. It’s very odd indeed.

  • I would try working without the IAA apps for a bit and see if you still have the spikes. I only ever use them for sampling as they certainly do cause issues,

  • @Audiogus said:
    I would try working without the IAA apps for a bit and see if you still have the spikes. I only ever use them for sampling as they certainly do cause issues,

    @Audiogus I did and the same problem presented itself

  • Looks like the next step is to delete all plugins, then save the Session as a new Session with a new name.
    Force-close BM3 & all other apps, reboot. Open BM3, load the new Session, report results here.

Sign In or Register to comment.