Rode NT-USB Mic and BM3

Hi,

Today I got my Rode NT-USB microphone. I started to try recording with it, but noticed that the input level is a little low. I speak quite loudly, quite close to the mic, but find it hard to get over -20db. I can't find any way to change the input level, neither in the iOS (I am using an iPad pro) nor in the beatmaker 3 app. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Sebastian

Tagged:

Comments

• Doesn't look like Rodent-USB has an adjustable input gain, but relies on the system's input gain settings. Try the RODE app and see if the input levels are good.

In BM3, use an audio track with an AU like apeMatrix Gain/Pan to boost the input (-60db to +36db). Works while monitoring too. That method doesn't work when sampling to a pad (Audio Recorder box).

• Great recommendations @StudioES . There should be some free AUfx apps for gain. Try “make louder”
    by JAF.

• Won't built in plugins like dynamics processor also work? There's a makeup gain in there, and it can act as an expander.

• @ronji said:
    Won't built in plugins like dynamics processor also work? There's a makeup gain in there, and it can act as an expander.

True but i was going for something easy.

• Thanks so much for this very quick and helpful advice!

I got the dynamics processor to work in the sense that I could increase the gain. I actually installed apeMatrix too, but somehow haven't been able to use gain/pan as an AU plugin, but that's just because I am a newbie with AU.

• Good to hear that you got it working.
    apeMatrix (standalone app) is tougher to learn than AUM or Audiobus 3, but it's a powerful modular MIDI-generating partner to BM3.

Plus all of those extra AUs are handy. All of the parameters have their own LFO, which can be tempo-sync'd.