Sampling in to BM3 and chopping to assign to pads at same time...as in MPC Live

Hi all,’
I want to sample audio and whilst doing that assign to pads thus chopping it live....so quick to assign samples.
Easy to do after.
Akai MPCs can do this.
I don’t think BM3 can? Or can it?!
So is there an iOS sampling app that can please?
Appreciated any help,
Best wishes
Beatit.

Comments

• If I recall correctly 'Lazy Chop' as it's called has been requested, long long time ago.
    (I know I requested it long, long time when BM3 was in early beta waiting for its initial release).

Technically it would just be one long recording and a slice point would be set when a pad is tapped and the recording would continue until stopped...

• Ok thanks Samu...
    So can another app do it?
    Samplr...IMPC 2.....?
    This would save me getting MPC Live?!
    Thanks
    Beatit.

• No iOS app I know of does 'Lazy Chop' as far as I know.
    That was one of the reasons I requested it during initial beta long time ago and still we have nada...

Despite the shortcomings BM3 is still the best iOS sampler there is.
    iMPC Pro 2 is a joke in comparison but it does have better 'factory content' if that's something that is important but lacks in so many other areas...

Don't know what features are planned for the next BM3 update (if an update is even planned?) but we can always hope that something will pop up...

• edited February 2020

You can auto-slice sample using transient detection, and then save all the slices to pads with ... like ... four taps. You can even get a pattern that’ll play the slices in order, then copy that to other patterns to mangle it up.

Maybe that’s somehow not as easy as the “Lazy Chop” mentioned above, but it’s plenty easy to me.

• I do the 'Lazy Chop' in Logic Pro X with ALT+T while audio is playing/recording and that works for me.
    This way the 'chops' will get matched to my sloppy timing.
    (After that I do 'convert to sampler instrument using regions').

I use AIFF as the file format in Logic Pro X the region markers will be detected when importing the file in to BM3.

Transient detection is ok but in no way doesn't replace 'Lazy Chop' :)

(I do hope to see at least a few BM3 updates during 2020).
    Cheers!

• Thanks guys..
    Already know all this...yes Logic....yes iMPC is weak....
    Can’t wait for updates....it is the best sampler /DAW overall for iOS.....
    Beatit.

• @samu that's a cool tip in Logic. Does ALT+T put in a transient marker or turn on transient detection overall?

Didn't know BM3 detects the region markers ...does it only work with AIFF?

• @BitterGums said:
    @samu that's a cool tip in Logic. Does ALT+T put in a transient marker or turn on transient detection overall?

Didn't know BM3 detects the region markers ...does it only work with AIFF?

Command+T (Sorry not ALT+T) splits the clip at playhead and thus creates a new region.
    Logic's region markers are saved as part of the meta-data in AIFF files.
    I've not checked if that's the case with *.wav files as well.

I'll see if I can find a shortcut to create a new region while recording, I know markers can be added though.

Anyways, I'm just holding my thumbs that BM3 will evolve over time...

• cool thanks. I prefer to work w AIFF's anyway when I can.

oh, BM3 will evolve over time.. it's just that the entire concept of time has been changed radically since the initial launch of the app. We are now playing by someone else's new standard of time.
    Just wish there was more of a developer involvement again on the forum.

• @BitterGums said:
    cool thanks. I prefer to work w AIFF's anyway when I can.

oh, BM3 will evolve over time.. it's just that the entire concept of time has been changed radically since the initial launch of the app. We are now playing by someone else's new standard of time.

I dunno about that. Look at how long BM3 itself was in initial development ... several years. There's definitely less developer communication, though.

• edited February 2020

@BitterGums said:
    cool thanks. I prefer to work w AIFF's anyway when I can.

So curious what the future could hold beyond this point. Bank freezing? Automation overhaul? Simpler instrument Banks unfettered by embedding in pads? Who knows?

• We know nothing and the radio silence is alarming.
    It's a one man show from what I know and It's more likely that other new apps will pop up and beat BM3 at it's own game...

• @samu said:
    ...and It's more likely that other new apps will pop up and beat BM3 at it's own game...

I understand your concern.. but it hasn't happened yet!

• Would the « Move to next pad » help?

• Each time you’ll hit START the recording will be assigned to the next pad.

• Yes...correct pask74....every time you start recording again it will only assign to last pad chosen as next...
    Thanks.