Retired BeatMaker3

edited July 2020 in General

Due to lack of updates, no communication, bugs and crashes I’ve retired MY FAVORITE beat making software. I just don’t understand why we get no love here, I would gladly pay for updates. I see big name producers on YouTube upset by crashes and glitches too, so I know it’s not just me. I went from using BM3 every day to not at all. Intua has really changed and not for the better, it’s really sad. I’m back on my mpc500 for portability, and use koala on my android mostly now, I’ve pretty much stopped using my iPad for beats now that I’m not using BM3. That segments app is looking pretty promising though.,..,. So I thought they said bm3 would come out for iPhone? Did it yet? I don’t have an iPhone so I don’t know, but I was totally stoked for it to drop on Mac, but that was years ago. What happened to Intua?? They should sell bm3 to a bigger company so they can put more $$ behind it like stagelite did, I love the cross platform of zenbeats on my Mac and my phone, transfer the beats over WiFi from my phone to computer and viseversa,. I miss getting excited for BM3 though and every iOS update it works worse and worse.. sorry for the rant..

Comments

• edited July 2020

I still use it. But most of my friends feel the same as you and give it up.
    Hope well get some news soon about BM3 RoadMap

• edited July 2020

Yep. It gets really tiresome. On every button you tap you think "will it crash"? I've had 3 crashes just today. And I wasn't using any 3rd party AU instrument.
    One of them happened when I just deselected the "Show Pads" in the mixer. Boom! Makes no sense :(

• It does seem like at least a little bit of indication of the app status from the developer is needed at this point. He's not the most communicative developer around, and that's OK. But at some point, people start to lose faith and decide to invest their energy elsewhere.

Even just a "Hi, yes we're still at work on the next release," would be helpful. It took a shit storm of complaints to get any word out of Intua the last time around, but at least eventually there was some news.

As much as I like BM3, time is precious, and I rarely give it time anymore because I don't know if I'm just throwing away my time on a dead app.

Lots of communication about development status isn't an obligation IMO, but would help Intua in this case, I believe.

• yes, it is a shame. I think that Beatmaker 3 is abandoned in its buggy unusable state which is a shame, because it would have had potential...

• I have learned to find comfort and warmth from staring into the abyss.

• It really is a shame, there is nothing like it.

• A year later, and we're still having conversations like this?

• @alteredmoods said:
    A year later, and we're still having conversations like this?

maybe I understand you wrong, but do you mean that one year ago there has been a word from the devs that they don’t work on the app anymore (or something similar)?

• edited July 2020

No, they've said nothing of the kind. Actually nothing at all, not a single post, since September 2019. Last visit to the forum: March 2020.

It's impossible to speculate on development plans or progress in the absence of any communication. There was radio silence prior to the last beta and update as well, yet the update came out. So who knows?

This just isn't a communicative developer. That's up to him I suppose. Unfortunately, it leaves us users in the position of wondering if it's worth continuing to invest time into BM3.

• edited July 2020

@number37 said:
    No, they've said nothing of the kind. Actually nothing at all, not a single post, since September 2019. Last visit to the forum: March 2020.

It's impossible to speculate on development plans or progress in the absence of any communication. There was radio silence prior to the last beta and update as well, yet the update came out. So who knows?

This just isn't a communicative developer. That's up to him I suppose. Unfortunately, it leaves us users in the position of wondering if it's worth continuing to invest time into BM3.

I had a bunch of phantom Channel After Touch automation that just popped up on old sessions recently that made them sound very weird which I needed to clean out.

Part of me thinks that any fixes to the existing automation bugs (if they ever come) may even mess up previous sessions at some point so why make any more tracks that may get broken?

• Maybe @tk32 could drop us a word about BM3 status?

• @jeezs said:
    Maybe @tk32 could drop us a word about BM3 status?

I wish that I could. Sorry - I have no news at the moment.

But I do know that this app is NOT abandoned, and recent activity on social media (BeatMaker Mondays) is a very promising sign!

• edited July 2020

@tk32 said:

@jeezs said:
    Maybe @tk32 could drop us a word about BM3 status?

I wish that I could. Sorry - I have no news at the moment.

But I do know that this app is NOT abandoned, and recent activity on social media (BeatMaker Mondays) is a very promising sign!

Huh, cool. Life! Had no idea. Tis a good sign indeed!

Heh, the fact that it was never posted on the forum says volumes to me of the perceived smoking toxic crater this place probably became at one point. We who remain to tell the tell are the wandering drifters of the wasteland....

Anywho, there is life with actual Intua comments...

• edited July 2020

Nice! That's encouraging. Good find. B)

• Advertising on social media is one thing, requires very little effort. Working on making the software more stable is something else entirely. Vincent is not responding to a number of requests about the status of an update there either.

Just doesn't make a lot of sense. I get the 'damned if you do, damned if you don't', situation, but I'd rather hear something than nothing.

I'll definitely continue using it, but only in conjunction with other software.

• edited July 2020

@alteredmoods said:
    Advertising on social media is one thing, requires very little effort. Working on making the software more stable is something else entirely. Vincent is not responding to a number of requests about the status of an update there either.

Just doesn't make a lot of sense. I get the 'damned if you do, damned if you don't', situation, but I'd rather hear something than nothing.

I'll definitely continue using it, but only in conjunction with other software.

These videos look like more of an investment than just a ‘very little effort’ soc post though. It just gives me hope that the actual app is getting attention too heh.

• Give me your B roll and your message, and I can lay down a decent looking video in a matter of hours. It's very little effort.

They're probably not even doing it themselves, they're probably sourcing it out. I would rather see updates that fix problems with the product in all honesty.

You can't equivocate social media posts with work on the product. And there is zero need to defend a vendor's choice to communicate or not.

• edited July 2020

Good to see something. http://jayellyiot.com/ is pretty active on the net.

• edited July 2020

@alteredmoods said:
    Give me your B roll and your message, and I can lay down a decent looking video in a matter of hours. It's very little effort.

Yah for sure. I have been working in apps and games full time for 25 years. Involved with lots of videos in that time. It is hellah easier now to produce this sort of stuff but there is still actual effort and investment put in here beyond a ten second tweet of ‘Hey guys still cranking on it! #caffiene’

They're probably not even doing it themselves, they're probably sourcing it out.

Of course. That would be an improper allocation of resources. You don’t want to pay an audio programmer to edit videos.

I would rather see updates that fix problems with the product in all honesty.

Really, honestly? Not just a video that you skip through for ten seconds and go ‘next!’ like most of us? Huh. ;)

You can't equivocate social media posts with work on the product.

I equate it to investment, as in not dead yet. That is all. I got cozy with plenty of apps over the years that are permabroken now or gone, so this feels good to me.

• On one of those Beatmaker mondays posts on facebook, Vincent replied to a fellow beatmaker that they are working on fixes and implementing features. I'm keeping my hopes up here. I used BM2 and it was a silent work of love mostly, but they delivered.

My only issue with it at the moment is not having a freeze track function (the motive I prefer to keep away from my hardware recorders lol) and the lack of option to plug an audio unit directly to a track. (The pad thing seems too much of a workaround for me, but I use it :tongue:)

• edited July 2020

‘update in the coming weeks’

Thanks @senhorlampada !

• Very very good news

• @Audiogus I gotta thank you, both here and on the AB forum

• Are you Radomír?

• I haven't used BM3 for ages too. Mainly because I've been indoors. I've now switched to Ableton Live 10!

• I'm bored...