Chopped up Sample

I have a chopped up sample on the pads. Each pad is the exact length that i want it to be. During recording is there a way to record the note the exact length that it is? It's not possible to time it perfectly during recording. I don't want it quantized to the grid I want the notes recorded perfectly legato

Comments

• If you use Save > Slice to Pads, and turn “Create pattern” on, you should bet a perfectly timed pattern that you can drop into the timeline.

• @number37 said:
    If you use Save > Slice to Pads, and turn “Create pattern” on, you should bet a perfectly timed pattern that you can drop into the timeline.

yea somebody told me that but what about during recording on the pads? It's not possible?

• @number37 said:
    If you use Save > Slice to Pads, and turn “Create pattern” on, you should bet a perfectly timed pattern that you can drop into the timeline.

also that only works with "Live Stretch" on and I don't want to use Live Stretch because it messes up the speed of the sample even with the BPM set the same as the project BPM

• edited July 2020

I don't have any other ideas then, sorry.

Maybe try setting all the pads to one-shot. Then at least the sample on each pad will play through to the end regardless of when you let go of the note. You'll still need timing accuracy, but lack of accuracy will be less apparent. You probably won't need Live Stretch then either.

If you set all the samples to the same choke group and set a small envelope fade on each, that might help when you slightly overlap notes.

• edited July 2020

BM3 doesn't have a 'make legato' command like most desktop DAWs do, so if you want legato notes you have to create them by adjusting the midi pattern after recording.

I still don't fully understand why this is so important for what you are trying to achieve. Perhaps if you explain more I can advise of an easier way of getting the effect you desire.

• @number37 said:
    I don't have any other ideas then, sorry.

Maybe try setting all the pads to one-shot. Then at least the sample on each pad will play through to the end regardless of when you let go of the note. You'll still need timing accuracy, but lack of accuracy will be less apparent. You probably won't need Live Stretch then either.

If you set all the samples to the same choke group and set a small envelope fade on each, that might help when you slightly overlap notes.

Yea that's exactly my problem though. That's how i've been doing it but i'm trying to have the notes timed perfectly without having to manually adjust the pattern trying to get it legato

• @tk32 said:
    BM3 doesn't have a 'make legato' command like most desktop DAWs do, so if you want legato notes you have to create them by adjusting the midi pattern after recording.

I still don't fully understand why this is so important for what you are trying to achieve. Perhaps if you explain more I can advise of an easier way of getting the effect you desire.

Yea that's what i've been doing, adjusting the midi pattern after recording. But it takes time to get it perfect.

I mean that's pretty much what i'm trying to achieve, it's simple. I have sample, chopped it up, and want the chops to be legato in the midi pattern. The sample is an old song chopping it up for a hip hop beat

• edited July 2020

The easiest way to do that is set the samples to one-shot and set all of the pads to the same choke group

You don't need them to be perfectly legato.

And if you want your pads to loop continuously until another note is played, try using the Midi Latch plugin that comes as part of Audioveek's Midi Tools:

• @tk32 said:
    The easiest way to do that is set the samples to one-shot and set all of the pads to the same choke group

You don't need them to be perfectly legato.

And if you want your pads to loop continuously until another note is played, try using the Midi Latch plugin that comes as part of Audioveek's Midi Tools:

Thanks for the link i'll check that out why do you need a plugin for that? Can't you do that by just setting the pad to Loop Forward?

Also what do you mean i don't need them to be legato? I do, that's the whole reason of my post lol

• Latched pads that share a choke group behave just like legato notes, but fair enough. I am trying to give you tips based on very little information here.

If legato notes are essential for your setup, you'll have to record them as closely as you can, and then edit the patterns by hand.

However, I am confident that if you explain a bit more about why legato is so important for your setup, I'm sure there are plenty of tips I can give you to help workaround any perceived limitations in BM3.

• Yea that seems like the only possible way with BM3, to record as closely as I can or edit by hand.

There's really nothing else to explain, it's simple. I mean i can just record with the pads and have it sound good but for the final version of the beat I want the chops to line up perfect. I could do it by recording as closely as I can and editing but it just takes alot more time that way