Midi Fundamentals

edited August 2017 in Feature Requests
Maybe it'll help intua prioritise if people list their top 5 midi/timeline ui/workflow fundamental issues with the current OS? Not talking about audio or creative features like modulation etc. Thats the stuff I'm most excited to see develop but for now it'd be cool if BM3 was just a little smoother/less irritating in general timeline workflow..

- option in settings to have the playback/stop behavior as follows - 1 tap on 'stop' will rewind the playback to wherever you have placed the playback cursor. Long hold on stop rewinds to song start/loop brackets start. Add a 'RTZ' or '<<' button to transport for return to zero/song beginning.

- be able to move the playback cursor while in the pattern edit piano roll screen.

- A 'nudge' icon added below timeline that when active shows arrow buttons Nudge notes left/right + transpose up/down. Or just have these 4 'direction' buttons permanently on the UI along the bottom of piano roll if there's space.

- 'Make pattern unique' (so if I have 10 x 'pattern 1' adjacent to each other in the timeline, I'd have the ability to select any one of those and make it become a new pattern (whilst retaining its notes etc) so I can edit it without editing the notes in those duplicate cells adjacent to it)

- Refine/fix automation. Like have options to include automation when copy/paste pattern etc.

Comments

• edited August 2017
    For some reason the above post didn't display entirely...

- option in settings to have the playback/stop behavior as follows - 1 tap on 'stop' will rewind the playback to wherever you have placed the playback cursor. Long hold on stop rewinds to song start/loop brackets start if 'loop' is active. Add a 'RTZ' or 'rwnd' button to transport for return to zero/song beginning.

- be able to move the playback cursor while in the pattern edit piano roll screen.

- A 'nudge' icon added below timeline that when active shows arrow buttons Nudge notes left/right + transpose up/down. Or just have these 4 'direction' buttons permanently on the UI along the bottom of piano roll if there's space. They could be multi-funcrion depending on what view you're in and what other icon button is active. If you're in song view and have the finger icon active they could trim patterns. When in song view + the select icon is active they could move patterns. Pattern edit view would be the same but for note/s instead of pattern/s.

- 'Make pattern unique' (so if I have 10 x 'pattern 1' adjacent to each other in the timeline, I'd have the ability to select any one of those and make it become a new pattern (whilst retaining its notes etc) so I can edit it without editing the notes in those duplicate cells adjacent to it)

- Refine/fix automation. Like have options to include automation when copy/paste pattern etc.
  • edited August 2017

Off topic removed

• @5pinlink all good ideas dude but I think you missed the goal of the thread a little ;) It was more of a 'list your 5 most wanted BASIC timeline/sequencer/piano roll tweaks/fixes intua can do to quickly tidy up what's there already and get rid of the most irritating/common workflow flaws'.. just to get the bread and butter BM3 workflow comparatively smoothed out and out of the way. Before they do any further, more complex additions/alterations etc ;)

I figured that people would be mentioning some of the same things as each other which would make it clear for intua which things to deal with as fast as possible in this area of BM3 ;)
  • edited August 2017
    @5pinlink No need to remove the whole post dude... There were some good and relevant requests in there :(

I just meant that the point of the original post was to kind of remove some of the noise from the barrage of feature requests we've all made and collectively pull out the most fundamental, irritating, easily fixed stuff for intua to target asap.. Not just another place to list off a ton of general feature requests ;)

You listed 12 requests and some were borderline totally new features and others were things like 'hide the master track in song view', which I'm pretty sure doesn't really mess with your workflow too much and wouldn't actually be in your top 5 BM3 sequencer workflow grievances ;)

Dunno why you removed the whole post after my remark tho...
  • If you switch out of banks mode it remembers what was last open. Say I was in piano mode with poison synth/sampling window it would remember to keep it open until I switched out back to pads or keys after messing with mixer or midi edit.

Maybe an edit button under solo for quick midi edit of that pad so you don't have to back track all the way to the time line or add a edit pattern button when you tap on playing song on the top of browser. This could help also when working with au synths you can edit patterns right there also.

When in midi edit mode be able to open another midi pad to edit by touching the numbers on the left. This is for automation it takes a long time to edit panning and velocity. Bigger window and I think bm2 has the best option out of all the iOS apps. Maybe something like that. Being able to grab or pan my snares and hi hats takes a long time, I had to pull out the Apple Pencil just to be able select the notes.

A play stop button in browser mode

Fx ability when in au mode playing the keyboard. Rest of the windows has it