Mapped multisampled instruments help

I've only done this once before (a piano for a waldorf Blofield.. The waldorf software wasn't great and put me off for doing it again...). That was 7 years ago and I've totally forgotten the ins and outs of the process.

Dragged some Kontakt folders in to my ipad. All looks good (folder per instrument with wavs). But getting some weird/frustrating behaviour when dragging samples on to the key zones. I pulled the first 6 samples across with no issue. Each one slotted on to a key as I expected. But following that each time I pull a sample across they are defaulting to a '12 notes spread' zone. Sorry about the terminology, total newb at building instruments like this...

Wondering if anyone can help out with any 'step by step' advice or know of any tutorial videos that'll idiot proof it for me?

Also what are the characteristics of root key/low key/high key (isn't the low key or the high key normally the same as the root key?Guessing not, but I assumed I'd just drop a sample on a key and then expand it if I wanted that sample to be transposed on adjacent keys to fill any gaps without dedicated sample on a key?) and what are the 'learn' buttons for? Also how would I make layers with soft>hard in relation to velocity? And how many layers are possible? Is it 4 layers like on sample pads?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2017
    I havent seen any limit to layers or samples within layers anywhere.

The drag n drop to the mapper is a complete mind bender, drag the sample over, if it is mapped over an octave instead of one note, move it about randomly without releasing touch, eventually it will go single note again.

It is the worst drag n drop sample map i have ever used (no im not exagerating)
    But it has everything in place and just needs some tweaks to be excellent, that could be better explanation of what the random movements are doing and why, or my preference is to just add drag hit zones.

Root = The note that the sample was recorded at or simply the key you want the sample to have its original un-interpolated (not pitched) version on.
    Low = The lowest note that the sample will be mapped to/play.
    High = The highest note that the sample will be mapped to/play.
    Soft is lower velocity mapped (lower numbers)
    Hard is higher velocity mapped (Higher numbers)
    Learn buttons = Press learn and whatever key you press on your keyboard will be set as the value.

Examples
    Drum hits are typically (Not always) mapped with the same root/low/high.

If you have chromatic samples for every single key, again they are mapped with the same root/low/high.

A single chromatic sample that needs to cover an entire octave and was sampled at C3 will be mapped like so
    Root = C3/Low = G2/High =F#3 if you wanted the interpolation spread from root.
    Root = C3/Low = C3/High = B3 if you wanted the interpolation to only go up the keys from root.
  • Thanks for writing this out :) Yeah pretty weird (seemingly random) behavior when dragging some samples across. And can be fiddly like you say to adjust. Hopefully intua can make the process a little less painful at some point.

Thanks again for the explanation/education, helped a lot :)
  • edited August 2017
    @5pinlink I just figured what you meant by 'move it around randomly without releasing'! yeah, when drag importing you swipe up for an octave map, down for a single note map. Actually pretty useful :)

Haven't attempted any velocity stuff but for basic mapping I think I actually like the way it's set up? Just drag samples over to their note and expand left or/and right to auto-set their range. Seems OK to me? I have no frame of reference tho, total newb at this kind of area.
  • edited August 2017

I have managed two and three note spreads, so not sure it is as simple as swipe up octave, swipe down single ?

• Ah, yeah maybe I just had a lucky 5 minutes where it seemed to follow some logic. Seemed to snap between 1 note and 1 octave when drag/dropping really well. Will keep eye out for it going random on me and post update.