BM3 vs Modstep MIDI sequencing

13»

Comments

• edited September 2017
    So nobody has answered, and i gotta assume from these new replies, on IOS a sequencer is not what would generally be called a sequencer nowadays on the desktop.
    For me i wouldn't even call Modstep a sequencer because it has no arranger.
  • edited September 2017
    Different strokes for different folks ;)

Haven't really dug in to modstep yet but seems like possibly currently BM3 = better song sequencer while Modstep = better performance sequencer? They're clearly both 'sequencers' tho and just better at different things...
  • edited September 2017
    Modstep has no performance sequencer for me, you can trigger clips, and it currently is way better than BM3s scene mode.

So we are calling any pattern editor a sequencer (this is not nitpicking by the way, im actually interested in making sure i know what is thought of as a sequencer and what is not)
  • "For me i wouldn't even call Modstep a sequencer because it has no arranger."
    is it a shovel ?!!?
    A music sequencer (or simply sequencer) is a device or application software that can record, edit, or play back music, by handling note and performance information in several forms, typically CV/Gate, MIDI, or Open Sound Control (OSC), and possibly audio and automation data for DAWs and plug-ins. Wikipedia
    do volcas have a sequencer? what does the sq stand for with sq-1.?
    BM3 = better song sequencer while Modstep = better performance sequencer? sounds about right

• edited September 2017
    Ok i stand schooled

For the record, quoting WIKI when its description is so poor and uninformed, possibly not a good idea, but after the shovel comment i should probably just back away gracefully.
  • TJATJA
    edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    To be fair MIDI routing has to be good in Modstep because its AU/IAA hosting is sub par.

Personally i would rather have MIDI routing and tools built in to BM3 than have to use AB3.

Audiobus was great before AU, but a good AU host should not need to use Audiobus at all.

Funny, as AudioBus is still the most important thing on iOS.
    As you wrote, if you only use one App, you don't need it.

But in iOS, the way to go is, to use as much Apps as possible - this is the core of iOS!

We just don't need Apps that try to do many things!
    We need Apps that are good in one single thing and can easily be glued together by means of AudioBus and AUM.

If you see iOS only as one step, before going to a desktop, you may interpreted things differently.
    But for all those, who solely use iOS and not the desktop, they want to use all those fantastic Piano Roll and Step sequencers, alls those fantastic chord tools and chord progressions Apps, all those different Synths and Samplers.

And AudioBus and AUM glue all of this together.
    State saving and this wonderful way to share presets to others play as much a role in this as does the AB sidebar, which is the perfect thing.

And Apps that want to play a role at all, better allow to be used in this way.

Any useable App need live MIDI In and Out, MIDI file Import and Export, as well as proper AudioBus MIDI and Audio.

A one-stop App just forces the users to stay in its closed walls - as GarageBand does.
    Nobody needs that ;-)

• edited January 2018

That isnt the core of IOS at all haha, nothing NEEDS to be glued togerher by Audiobus and AUM, pushing your way of working as the only way with must haves and best do, silliness.

People will work how they want and the vast majority of users rarely use AB anymore or AUM, that is fact, the vast majority of musicians on IOS use Garageband and probably dont even know AB or AUM exist, IOS core for musicians is Garageband, fact.

Just because the Audiobus forum exists and its users think it is the centre of the IOS universe, does not mean it is so hahaha.

• edited January 2018

@TJA said:

Funny, as AudioBus is still the most important thing on iOS.
    As you wrote, if you only use one App, you don't need it.

But in iOS, the way to go is, to use as much Apps as possible - this is the core of iOS!

We just don't need Apps that try to do many things!
    We need Apps that are good in one single thing and can easily be glued together by means of AudioBus and AUM.

If you see iOS only as one step, before going to a desktop, you may interpreted things differently.
    But for all those, who solely use iOS and not the desktop, they want to use all those fantastic Piano Roll and Step sequencers, alls those fantastic chord tools and chord progressions Apps, all those different Synths and Samplers.

And AudioBus and AUM glue all of this together.
    State saving and this wonderful way to share presets to others play as much a role in this as does the AB sidebar, which is the perfect thing.

And Apps that want to play a role at all, better allow to be used in this way.

Any useable App need live MIDI In and Out, MIDI file Import and Export, as well as proper AudioBus MIDI and Audio.

A one-stop App just forces the users to stay in its closed walls - as GarageBand does.
    Nobody needs that ;-)

I havent needed audiobus in a long time. AUM and bm3 does what i used to need from audiobus and aum has much better ui than ab. So i guess ab is not a must have app anymore. I could live without aum as well and just do everything in bm3. Aum just makes things simpler when using hardware(and maybe some AU) synths and sequencer. Before bm3 i used multiple apps laded in aum(and ab before it) and find working that way a huge pain in the ass. AU host, instruments and fxs is where its at the moment, ab used to be a must have app, but not anymore

• Has I say in another discutions and many times I saw this asking and a feature in modstep : a basic sequencer fruity loops style.
    The step are hits only and only and all the pads are displayed, no scrolling.
    Like BM1 !!

And the killer feature is By the way polyrhythms. Like the step sequencer in garage band as everybody knows

• I know that @mathieugarcia and @brambos are in touch together and brambos is very good on midi AU.

Why do not propose Midi addons in app purchase in the BM3 store ?

Something ready to use, with de midi preconfiguration for the pads.

I think that everyone will be ok to give some money for a new killer feature, money for intrus, money for brambos.

And ..... #workflow !!!!

• i use modstep to seq bm3. more hoops than i'd hoped for with ios. i hope midi getting cancelled out when sending to the same app will get sorted out