Viking (Standard AU) presets

edited September 2017 in Feature Requests
I cant use viking presets in bm3 in neither saving nor loading processes?! I contacted the developer who insists their implementation of presets is proper...they do show up in other hosts (garageband/cubasis), but still nothing in bm3? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• edited August 2017

I use Viking every day. Just gotta program your sounds by hand. I also previously contacted the manufacturer. Hopefully BM3 will allow access to AU factory presets in the future.

• The conventions for handling presets in AU are still maturing at the moment, and a number of developers have expressed frustration with Apple for not making the AU preset system better in the first place.

I did spot that the 2x Ruismaker AU drum synths were both recently updated by BramBos so presets could be managed within the plugin UI. I have a slight feeling this had something to do with the rising popularity of BM3 :)

Perhaps the Viking dev (Blamsoft?) might consider a similar kind gesture to all using their plugins inside BM3.

• edited August 2017

@tk32 said:
    I did spot that the 2x Ruismaker AU drum synths were both recently updated by BramBos so presets could be managed within the plugin UI. I have a slight feeling this had something to do with the rising popularity of BM3 :)

Indeed. Currently only BM3 and Audiobus 3 do not offer access to at least the Factory Presets. Although Apple says Presets are supposed to be handled by the host it seems there is still lots of (often valid) debate about how to properly handle it. I didn't want users to be victims of this unclarity, because that won't help anyone.

I'm just worried that all this 'free interpretation of the specs' introduces a lot of hit or miss experiences for the end user. Audio Unit plugins are still a budding standard, and if it wants to succeed it must offer a rock-solid seamless experience. Fragmentation will be very bad for the platform and hosts have a big responsibility in this because they have the most significant impact on a user's workflow.

• It's so cool to be quoted by the legendary BramBos.

Keep up the good work... and you can count on me to keep buying your cool stuff.

T
  • I only have Arturia isem for AU reference but it seems to integrate great with BM3 for presets browse/load/save.
  • @Heyez said:
    I only have Arturia isem for AU reference but it seems to integrate great with BM3 for presets browse/load/save.

That's because iSem has built its own preset manager into the plugin. Which is nice of them to do, but is actually the host's job (according to Apple).

• @brambos Hopefully a uniform standard materialises from the fog ;)

Excited to check out your apps ASAP btw, they look killer :)
  • @brambos I feel that your take on this issue is by far the most level headed and realistic.

As a personal opinion: from my perspective a performer/content creator, resistance against AU presets feels like developer driven agenda against 'the man' and not related to user experience at all.

What sounds worse: recreating your patch a second time or recreating your patch every time?

I currently have printouts of screen grabs from Viking Synth laying around my music development space..
  • While i understand and agree with @brambos that standards should be adhered to as much as possible in these early stages of AU, not sure the reality quite fits when you have to rely on an unreliable (Apple in this case) for those standards.
  • @5pinlink said:
    While i understand and agree with @brambos that standards should be adhered to as much as possible in these early stages of AU, not sure the reality quite fits when you have to rely on an unreliable (Apple in this case) for those standards.

True, but I'm not sure what the alternatives are? We all freely interpret the standards depending on what's most convenient for us? What's happening right now is that plugins are adding preset managers to plugins (I'm guilty of this myself) while hosts are not even implementing basic access to Factory Presets. As a result plugins who adhere to the standards - like Viking, NFM, etc. - are considered broken and are expected to 'fix' their plugins.

It wouldn't be so bad if Apple hadn't made it so difficult for plugins to implement preset managers, but as it stands, it's a pain to pull it off right inside an AU (among other things because of the sandboxed nature of AU extensions). On the other hand, Apple has made it quite trivial to do for the hosts... :|

• Maybe intua will add preset support then?

Seems like a feature that should be implemented on the host side...it is available in cubasis & garageband
  • @MicGee$ & Auria Pro, & AUM, & Modstep .. (etc.)
  • edited September 2017

Its difficult to get into production mode on iOS at the moment. It is an ecosystem problem and devs are put in the position to workaround the issue. That's bad. Would it be worth the effort to create a post (or repurpose this one) to identify apps that do work beyond the preset/state saving restrictions and those that don't? Not for negativity, but to point out the apps that can be relied on in BM3??

• I'm going to ask @mathieugarcia to add a 'Compatibility' forum for hard and software.

• edited September 2017

That's a nice ask @5pinlink - no logical reason why BM3 could not help transition the laptop away from some rigs... that kind of thing is on the horizon. Back to earth, a list like that would be great :)

• @OscarSouth said:
    @MicGee$ & Auria Pro, & AUM, & Modstep .. (etc.)

I have auria pro, but i dont ever use it...i dont have the other two apps

• Hopefully the fact that they are moving plugin loading to the browser is a first step towards preset loading, of they get it working like Maschines browser it will be superb.

• I agree that would be a great feature

• If it has Maschines new prehear function too it would be even better.
    Energt XT 2 early betas had a preview for VST presets in its browser, it was amazing and never released :(
    There was a pref for a MIDI input to the browser, you could route it from any MIDI track in the sequencer or any hardware.
    Click a preset and hear it in context or play it, back then load speed was an issue, now it is less important.

• Non commital fx previews would be superb! ...as would be being able to load and unload channel presets of course ;)